News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Flemma

So I finished a quick photo essay (1st ever for me) on Teugega.

http://jayflemma.thegolfspace.com/?p=4535

It's everything it's cracked up to be and more.  The restoration went swimmingly.

While no concrete plans have been made yet, I have been given the green light by the club to float a trial balloon and see how many of you might be interested in coming out for a visit.  My idea is this:

Day 1 Play Teugega and hear two short lectures on the restoration and what you'll find on the course. (speakers TBD)

Day 2 Go and see the equally terrific restoration at Crestwood - the local muni that got destroyed by the former owner.  More than one interviewee said he never watered, he never fed or treated the grass, he never aerated the greens and he bought dseed for the greens at Lowe's Home Improvement. He had one man on his maintenance crew apparently.  This isn't just a restoration...it's a resurrection.

How many of you might be interested and when is convenient to consider as a date?  Obviously I need lead time and we can't do anything around the Ryder Cup or PGA or after early November...

Here's a couple quick pics of Teugega:

The green at the short par-3 7th.  Look at that thumbprint! (photo courtesy of the club)

The approach to 6...so old school

Great green contours and green complexes all day long

And the plaque at 7 tee commemorating Ross

« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 10:50:36 AM by Jay Flemma »
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

David Harshbarger

Re: Ross's Teugega - a photo essay and maybe a GCA event
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 08:35:44 PM »
Count me pending the dates.  Looks fabulous.
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Frank M

Re: Ross's Teugega - a photo essay and maybe a GCA event New
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 08:37:30 PM »
As a Ross fan, you could count me pending dates.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2024, 09:13:11 PM by Frank M »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 09:36:23 PM »
I have had this course on my to-do list for a long time, and would love to attend, but if the date is in October it's probably going to be impossible for me ... I've got to be at Medinah, at Garden City, and in China for most of the month.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 10:04:10 AM »
If you guys want to throw out some weekends that work well for you, I'll see if we can find something convenient,
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

C. Sturges

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 08:18:54 PM »
If the dates work I would like to join.  I have heard great things about the course for a couple of years. 
Thanks,
Chris

Dean DiBerardino

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 08:34:31 PM »
If the dates work I would like to join.  I have heard great things about the course for a couple of years. 
Thanks,
Chris

+1

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 08:38:35 PM »
Me too. 

Dan Byrnes

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 09:48:34 PM »
I would be interested.   Looks awesome heard of the place but was wowed by the pics.

Dan

Ben Voelker

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 10:35:36 PM »
Jay,

As with most of the other posters, I would be interested in attending depending on the date that works for everyone.

Ben

Jay Flemma

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 10:22:17 AM »
Excellent:)  Nice to see so many faces.

What do you guys think of those greens?  And cross-bunkers? And the terrain?

Here's some more pics:

The approach on sixteen:

Don't go left at 15:

These berms are beautiful:

The approach on 11:

« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 10:26:35 AM by Jay Flemma »

Jay Flemma

I got a few quotes from architect Barry Jordan who did the restoration work:

"They hadn’t tinkered much with the golf course at all since Ross had been there, which is great.  Because he spent so much time there, Teugega is a great case study for Ross's architectural ideas and strategies, especially the green complexes," explained Jordan.  "We simply cleared out a lot of the overplanting that had been done – Ross wanted the fairways to be wide, so there would be many angles to play into the greens - and the trees eliminated a lot of that.  The clearing also opened up long vistas across the property.  We got rid of a couple hundred to date.  Then we expanded the greens to their original dimensions using old aerials and the original plans and also through soil probings."

"The sixth green and green complex are mindblowing," noted Jordan.  "So much subtlety – there are so many interesting little pockets and hollows, but they all flow together so beautifully.  It's a short hole, but if you short-side yourself, it's tough."

"You can learn a lot about architecture by studying Teugega," confides golf course architect Barry Jordan, who performed the restoration.  "1. How to use the natural land forms cleverly in the design of the holes; 2. How to rout a golf course; and 3. How to build a great variety of green complexes - subtle to bold - and in myriad shapes.  Teugega is one of his best collections of greens."

Favorite architects? – "I grew up on Shennecossett, a Ross course in Connecticut, and then Fishers Island is right across the sound and that’s also a big influence on me, so I love Raynor and Ross.  When I was younger I didn’t know I was growing up a famous architect's course.  At that time I didn't know about design much, but now that I study it, they are strong influences on me for sure."

Best courses to study architecture? – "Go play National Golf Links of America, you learn so much there, and St. Andrews

Courses you want to see? – "Augusta – I know it well from television and reading about it, but not personally.  I'd like to see it in person.  Then Cypress Point, Old Macdonald, and also I want to see some Mike Strantz courses."

Dan Boerger

I will be in Inlet, NY for two weeks starting this weekend. Jay, if that time works for an outing just let me know ... would love to play this course.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Jay Flemma

Dan, we are looking late September at the earliest:0  May 9/22, but maybe even as much as a month later.

RJ_Daley

I'd call the blog photo essay a home run.  Very enticing.   There seems to be a lot of Lawsonia-like features in the ground when evaluating the photos.  The pro stated they took out 500 trees "to date".  From photos, it looks like they could still go further and not screw up the setting of the wooded site.  Also, I personally favor cutting up from the ground, conifer branches as high as 4-6ft rather than a ball hiding branchy-bough cover that restricts a punch-out, which still provides penalty, but not unplayability.  Our course has done that well and it really speeds play and opens things up without dumbing down the course. 

I'd love to make this outing if I could put it with a tour of more interesting courses or maybe swing up to Canada.  Probably not this year, however.  But, I'll keep the options open and see how personal things break out as more definitive plans are revealed. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Ed Homsey

I can't think of a better combo than Teugaga and Yahnundasis Golf Club about 45 minutes away.  If you could carry off that combo, Jay, I'd be very impressed.  As a diehard Travis fan, I must say that Teugaga CC is my favorite course for everyday play, within driving range of home.

Dan Boerger

Ed - I grew up 2 miles from the Yahnundasis and agree it's wonderful course! Hope to find a way to play Teugega while I'm on vacation coming up. Thanks for the photo essay Jay.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Jay Flemma

Guys, we're gonna do the double with Crestwood so you all can hear about the miracle restoration there that rescued the club from the edge of extinction.

We're working on dates, but a tentative - TENTATIVE - schedule would be

Day 1 - Teugega (with Barry Jordan the architect and also the Head Pro/Director of Golf).  Dinner at the Savoy!!  Woo hoo hoo - Steak al cicco for dinner, the house specialty!

http://www.romesavoy.com/Portals/5/Menus/Savoy_DinnerMenu.pdf

Day 2  Crestwood (with dinner at Famous Voss Hot dog stand for dogs with hit relish! Better than a tray full of burger-dogs!)  ;D

« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 03:33:55 PM by Jay Flemma »

michael damico

Jay,

this sounds like a great opportunity. If you would keep me in mind for this event, I would be much obliged.
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
                                                                -fz

Dan Boerger

Had the good fortune to play Teugega today. Weather was fantastic and the staff was very gracious. The course was in excellent condition.

It has a true Ross feel to it, and nice to see a membership proud of their course and with the evident desire to preserve what they have.

The tee shots are certainly fair with some very challenging corridors. As has been stated and illustrated on this thread, the real beauty of this course is in the nuanced green sites and some of the fairway bunkering. The 11th green was extremely challenging. The par 3's are varied and strong -- par 5's generally provide some great scoring opportunities and reward placement over length.

Tree removal is an obvious area for discussion, but that may speak to my errant shot making more than anything else.

If you get a chance to play this I recommend it highly.

Jay Flemma

Nice Dan.  Join us when we have the event.  Hopefully some time this fall:)  Fave hole?  Mine is 7

Dan Boerger

Jay -- Good call on #7. I thought the greensite on 6 was really good and also liked the way 15 and 16 played -- great use of the land.

Fine call on Voss! Joeys in East Utica also a favorite of mine from days past.

Jay Flemma

Oh yeah! Voss is BOSS.  I'll take two with hot relish and say, I got yer burger dog right here:):)

Now back home to Forest Hills and a Jayger dog...that's a hamburger on a hot dog bun with Italian long hot peppers:)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back