News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Johnson

Wine Valley's 17th green
« on: July 18, 2012, 12:11:45 AM »
Last summer my wife and I had the pleasure of a round at Wine Valley near Walla Walla, Washington. Having golfed with Rich Choi the day before at Chambers Bay, who'd told us we'd have a blast at WV the next day, our expectations were high, and we weren't disappointed.

In particular, I was really impressed with the 17th green at Wine Valley. The green consists of a high shelf in the back and a low shelf in the front middle. On the left side of the green is a curved slope around the end of the middle ridge, and a smaller curved slope is on the other side of the green. See my crude drawing below...

The hole that day was cut in the lower shelf, not far from the bottom of the ridge. I unfortunately hit my approach shot long and the ball ended up on the back shelf. I surveyed the green and realized that if I didn't hit the cup after the ball went straight down the slope, the ball might actually roll off the front edge of the green. I noticed the sloped bank off to my right (on the left side of the green looking from the tee) and decided I'd be better off if I hit my putt in that direction. I figured by the time my putt was slowing down it would be going straight sideways across the green so I figured that it might end up nearer the hole that way, rather than putting straight at it. I stroked the putt and we watched as it curved some 15-20 feet sideways and then down and around toward the hole, finishing about 3 feet away. What a fun putt. I can remember that like yesterday.

Wondering who else has played Wine Valley and in particular, what your thoughts are on that 17th green? What a great green.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 12:20:21 AM by Jim Johnson »

Michael Dugger

Re: Wine Valley's 17th green
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 02:45:05 AM »
Dan and Slag will be tickled to read your comments.

I am thinking John Kirk's time theory.

Golf really is more fun this way...
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 08:37:24 AM »
I would bet a dollar that Kye Goalby built that green.  He has seen a few things like that working on our courses over the years.  Apologies in advance if it's actually someone else's work.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 11:55:02 AM »
Jim,

I've played WV a few times as well and yes totally agreed, they have some fantastic greens out there.

My personal fav's are:

7 - The big punchbowl
8 - I can hardly describe it, but it has potato chip properties in terms of shape.
14 - Such a wicked little green for a short par 3 played over the sand river.

Joe Stansell

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 11:34:52 AM »
Include me as a huge fan of Wine Valley. I try to get over there from Seattle and play a round or two at least once a year. The 17th is an excellent green on a very fun golf course. In addition to the holes that Kalen mentions, I'd also add the short Par 3 11th to the list. I've had several interesting putts there.

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 11:46:51 AM »
I unfortunately hit my approach shot long and the ball ended up on the back shelf. I surveyed the green and realized that if I didn't hit the cup after the ball went straight down the slope, the ball might actually roll off the front edge of the green. I noticed the sloped bank off to my right (on the left side of the green looking from the tee) and decided I'd be better off if I hit my putt in that direction. I figured by the time my putt was slowing down it would be going straight sideways across the green so I figured that it might end up nearer the hole that way, rather than putting straight at it. I stroked the putt and we watched as it curved some 15-20 feet sideways and then down and around toward the hole, finishing about 3 feet away. What a fun putt. I can remember that like yesterday.

I had a putt similar to that this spring on the Short Hole at Old Macdonald.  The pin was cut in the front left and I hit the ball to the middle center of the green - my aim line had my back to the hole.  The putt ended up two feet from the hole - easily the coolest and most fun shot I have had all year and like you, I remember it like it was just yesterday...

Jim Johnson

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 05:42:05 PM »
I would bet a dollar that Kye Goalby built that green.  He has seen a few things like that working on our courses over the years.  Apologies in advance if it's actually someone else's work.

Does Kye ever post here, Tom?

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 05:46:41 PM »
Kye does post here. He has been overseas and busy, ergo the hiatus.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jim Johnson

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 02:37:05 PM »
Jim,

I've played WV a few times as well and yes totally agreed, they have some fantastic greens out there.

My personal fav's are:

7 - The big punchbowl
8 - I can hardly describe it, but it has potato chip properties in terms of shape.
14 - Such a wicked little green for a short par 3 played over the sand river.

The punchbowl green on 7 ...

No pic of 8

The 14th hole ...

A different angle on 14 ...

Mark Saltzman has a fantastic photo tour of Wine Valley from July 2011:
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,48960.0.html

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 02:48:28 PM »
One very cool feature on the 14th is the mini-backstop at the back of the green.  With a pin up on top, the contours can be used to take a tee shot past the pin and have it funnel back to the hole.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back