News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

Re: Profile on The Old White Course at the Greenbrier is posted ...
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2011, 11:48:49 AM »
Here is a link to the digital program for this week's tour event.  There is a hole by hole tour but I did not spend much time reviewing it.

http://www.myvirtualpaper.com/doc/Golfweek-Custom-Media/2010greenbrierclass-opt/2010071901/#0

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2011, 12:04:32 PM »
George,

It is already done.  Hope they don't do anymore.  Call me if you want details.  Can't discuss here.

Lester

Lester,

Just listening to an interview with JJ... "narrowed the fairways, nice thick rough, firm greens, fast greens... I mean fast now"

Brilliant!

Did he say it was just for the tournament or will they keep the changes for good?  Many other tournament venues have been known to keep the tournament conditions (at least narrow fairways) year-round.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2011, 12:29:10 PM »
George,

It is already done.  Hope they don't do anymore.  Call me if you want details.  Can't discuss here.

Lester

Lester,

Just listening to an interview with JJ... "narrowed the fairways, nice thick rough, firm greens, fast greens... I mean fast now"

Brilliant!

Did he say it was just for the tournament or will they keep the changes for good?  Many other tournament venues have been known to keep the tournament conditions (at least narrow fairways) year-round.

I would guess he would choose to maintain the fairway width as the season is rather short and does not really afford the opportunity to make major changes. I doubt they care to maintain the fast firm greens year round but who knows.

I still contend the best move wold be to create a single course over the land occupied by the Greenbrier and Meadows courses. They could create a something pretty special and as "big" as they desire then flip to Tour to that course before they ruin The Old White, the Greenbrier simply has no need for 3 golf courses and the other 2 have no chance to host a Tour event. They would be well served to do as noted and thus have a pair of "tour quality" (whatever that means) courses.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2011, 03:19:30 PM »
Brandel Chamblee just said "Over the past year Jim Justice and the PGA Tour have restored the course to the original intent of the architect."

WW

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2011, 01:48:30 PM »
I have not been there but from a TV viewpoint, the course is a dream to see. I wish the contours in the greens would show up more. Justice did make a king size fool out of himself flirting with Kelly Tillman yesterday. No matter his good or bad points, I am glad the course has been restored. I will go see it unless you guys says it is really faux Mac/Raynor.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2012, 11:16:45 AM »
I'm pumped for the upcoming tournament at Old White.  Neat, classic course.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back