News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Don Hyslop

Re: Cabot Links Opens this weekend
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 08:53:20 AM »
Just as the official opening nears, some controversy rears its head.
http://canadiangolfer.com/g4g/2012/06/27/controversy-at-cabot-links-environmentalists-complain-again/

Here is the story from the provincial newspaper.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2012/06/25/ns-cabot-links-dunes.html

This property has never looked so good as it does now. All the best for opening day.
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Randy Thompson

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 04:47:19 PM »
The best of luck to Ran and Ben...living the dream...what a pleasure...Congrats!

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 08:30:38 PM »
I can't wait to get up there.  Golf gods willing, August may be the month.  No ferry from Bar Harbor, ME this time - driving all the way up is the way to go!

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 08:34:08 PM »
Dan, I'll be there in August too.  I can't wait!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 10:44:50 PM »
Great reporting by Robert Thompson, and he seems to be telling it straight forward and on point.   If, as Ben says, the authorities were brought in and viewed this project as it was being built (apparently on a regular basis) and this 'encroachment was not noticed', then how can it be a valid issue now?  I do hope that Ben, Ran, Rod and all involved with the multi year process have plenty of photo, maybe video documentation of all aspects of the construction, along with photos or video of the proper authorities site visits.  Documentation, via photo and video probably has to be S.O.P. in this era, with all the obstructionists that use unethical tactics to insert themselves as they do.  I'm all for honest, well reasoned, and necessary environmental protections.  There is a big difference between a corporate greedy violation of the environment with egregious and negligent land abuse methods to maximize profits of depleting resources from the ground, and a gentle recreational, minimalistic sowing of a turf sward on previously hideous terrain, IMHO. 

I remember seeing pre construction photos of this land at Cabot, and many on-going construction photos.  No where did it appear they were abusing anything, and only did seem to be enhancing a previously unsightly-in places piece of ground. 

Good luck to the developers and townsfolk.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 10:52:24 PM »
It sounds like the objecter belongs to the BANANA movement

Build
Absolutely
Nothing
Anywhere
Near
Anyone

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 10:52:08 PM »
Good Luck Ben and to the rest of the team.

Don Hyslop

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 08:02:02 AM »
Well by all reports, yesterday was a beautiful day in Inverness, Nova Scotia. Score Magazine's Bob Weeks describes his feelings about playing the course on opening day in his blog.
http://scoregolf.com/blog/bob-weeks/2012/june/cabot-comes-true

Here is a local newspaper's description of opening day at Inverness.
http://www.capebretonpost.com/News/Local/2012-06-29/article-3020618/Cabot-Links-blends-challenging-golf-with-scenic-views/1
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 08:08:14 AM by Don Hyslop »
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Scott Weersing

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 06:22:35 PM »

Does anyone have a photo of the scorecard?

I am interested in the 37-33 routing.

Does the ninth hole come back to the clubhouse?

Don Hyslop

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 07:47:58 PM »
This may be of some help.
http://cabotlinks.com/golf/yardage-and-ratings

You can see on the map that the ninth hole is not quite the farthest hole from the clubhouse but it is almost.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 07:51:08 PM by Don Hyslop »

Howard Riefs

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 09:51:03 AM »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 10:53:54 PM »
How many will commit to a trip that arrives in Halifax the night of July 7th and departs July 12th?

That should give time or a few rounds at Cabot Links and n overnight at Highand Links.  With lots of driving. 

Tom Forsythe

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 11:08:08 PM »
It sounds like the objecter belongs to the BANANA movement

Build
Absolutely
Nothing
Anywhere
Near
Anyone

They are also affiliated with CAVE
Citizens
Against
Virtually
Everything

Scott Weersing

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 07:00:26 AM »
So we now need a report from a GCAer about the course. Who will be the first to post a narrative about their round?

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 04:15:55 PM »
I am interested in the 37-33 routing.

Does the ninth hole come back to the clubhouse?

Scott,

The 37-33 routing is interesting. A few alternate sequences of play were being considered as the course was being built. For the sake of interest, Rod's original layout began at what is now #6 and would have concluded at the 5th green.

Have some fun trying to piece that sequence of play together in reference to the map (it's actually not that difficult, except for maybe one spot!)  ;D 
jeffmingay.com

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2012, 10:18:41 AM »
So we now need a report from a GCAer about the course.
This is as close to an inside job as we will ever get since the primarily develpoer is one of the co-owners of GCA and Jeff Mingay is an assistant with Rod Whitman.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back