News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Thurman

How Important is Wow Factor?
« on: June 27, 2012, 09:11:15 PM »
Among some of the guys I play with, I hear the term "Wow Factor" tossed around. In their mind, a course is better if it has a few "signature" views, or an extreme shot or two, or something else that slaps them in the face visually and psychologically.

For the architects, how much do you seek out moments that "wow" a player? How do you balance those often extreme moments with playability?

For the non-architects, how important is Wow Factor to you?
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Tommy Williamsen

Re: How Important is Wow Factor?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 09:22:49 PM »
It is almost impossible to ignore the "wow" factor.  Would 16 at Cypress be as impressive over a pond?  or four at Royal County Down without the Mourne Mountains in the background?  No.  Is it necessary to make a course good?  No, but it sure makes for a memorable round.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 09:27:18 PM »
Yeah, it's important.  I can think of one hole at my home course - the 3rd hole that crosses a lot of scrubby wetland and a creek.  It's really a nice hole, but my least favorite at the club.

In the old days, they might have built a dam and formed a nice pond/lake.   That would have produced a wow factor for sure.

Ironically, we had beavers out there last year that actually dammed the creek and were causing our pond to come to life.  Unfortunately, the pond killed the famer's land next door, so the beavers were trapped and moved somewhere where they could build dams in peace.

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 09:33:59 PM »
Jason T. -

I hope you get to play Castle Stuart some time. It could be the ultimate "Wow Factor" course.

http://www.castlestuartgolf.com/photo-gallery.php

DT
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 09:56:08 PM by David_Tepper »

Andy Troeger

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 10:14:41 PM »
Its very important, truthfully. But wow factor comes in a different forms as well. The obvious is something like Cypress #16, but it can also be a simple feature like the 4th green at Lost Dunes, the tiny 16th green at Wolf Run, or the uniqueness of having a par three finisher as occurs at Pasatiempo and a few other places. The par three bit only works if the hole is a good one, but its something not every designer would consider.

Aesthetics and memorable features are important. I know some of you love subtle golf courses, but I think most golfers like bold features and big vistas and I don't see anything wrong with that. Nothing wrong with subtlety either, but the audience is likely narrower.

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 03:32:54 AM »
To a certain degree the archie can create his own wow factor.  I find many heathland courses very attractive and yet there isn't anything visually special about the land itself when compared to awesome sites.  The best wow factor is when the wow is incorporated into the design.

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back