News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Re: Why didn't Tillinghast write a book on golf architecture?
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2012, 12:52:17 PM »
Chris:

A series of three books has been written containing many of Tillinghast's articles and such.

It might be interesting if Tom MacWood elaborated  a bit more on why exactly he asked this question. Why didn't Behr write a book? Why didn't Flynn, or Dick Wilson or Herbert Leeds, Fownes, Hugh Wilson (actually Piper and Oakley did ask Hugh to write a book but he refused), George Crump, James Foulis, Willie Campbell, Robert White etc write a book on golf course architecture?

What I really can't understand, though, is why Tommy Birdsong, the greatest Timucuan Indian golf architect in history and the architect of the world's greatest hidden gem, Fernandina Beach Municipal, didn't write a book on golf architecture. It is almost staggering to consider the knowledge on golf architecture that Tommy Birdsong possessed in that highly tattooed head of his that was under something like three feet of hair.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 01:12:17 PM by TEPaul »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2012, 03:36:45 PM »
Tilly was arguably the most prolific writer of all his contemporaries (enough material to create three volumes), but we are led to believe he did not write a book on golf architecture because he better things to do, and too many outside interests? Huh?

That makes absolutely no sense, especially when you consider he wrote two golf books.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 07:11:44 PM by Tom MacWood »

JMEvensky

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2012, 03:59:07 PM »
From Phil Young:

"Tom Macwood, once again you show yourself to simply have a great deal less knowledge about Tillinghast as both an architect and a person. I am not interested in debating you and will not. The only reason I even looked at this thread and commented on it was due to some from GCA who had contacted me about this question and thread. Some have already been given answers to follow-up questions so again, feel free to anyone who'd like to ask about Tilly to email me and ask away. I have no plans on posting here again. Phil Young"

TEPaul

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2012, 04:02:13 PM »
Isn't it interesting that what makes absolutely no sense to Tom MacWood seems to make very good sense to most people?

Tom MacWood

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2012, 04:24:37 PM »
TEP
Go ahead and explain it. Tilly had time to write multiple columns in multiple publications at least monthly if not more frequently over period of several decades. For many years he wrote a weekly column, for more than one publication simultaneously. He wrote and published two books relating to golf. But Phil Young aka Phil-the-author tells us the reason he didn't write a book on golf architecture was because he had other interests, loved his grand children, liked the theater and travelled, and wasn't motivated to write a book on his life's work.

I'm pretty sure other golf architects of his stature who wrote books on design loved their families as much as he did, had multiple interests, and travelled extensively. Hell Mackenzie travelled around the world, travelled to S.America, commuted between the US and England, and had time to write two books!  

Explain to me how Tilly had the time to write thousands of articles (often relating to golf architecture) and two books, but not enough time to write a book, or compile one, on golf architecture.

I'm sure there is a reason why he didn't write a book, but it wasn't because he wasn't motivated or didn't have time to write.

TEPaul

Re: Why didn't Tillinghast write a book on golf architecture? New
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2012, 04:56:07 PM »
Tom MacWood:

Why should I bother to try to explain to you why I think Tillinghast may not have written a book on golf architecture? You appear to have answered your own question so one would fairly wondered why you bothered to even ask it in the first place on here.   ???

What are you looking to try to do----start another argument or perhaps just so you can explain to participants on here why your opinion is better or more credible than mine or theirs?  ;)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 05:02:05 PM by TEPaul »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back