News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Charlie Gallagher

Cabot Links Upcoming Visit
« on: July 03, 2013, 10:16:01 AM »
   A friend and I will travel to Cabot Links with a detour to Highland links in early August. We would appreciate any inside baseball regarding good food, pubs, and other diversions that will enhance our trip. Both of us have fairly extensive experience with links golf in Ireland. I am expecting to pack as I would for Ireland, that would be for a wide range of temperatures and conditions.
   As an initial matter, am I correct that the trip from Halifax Airport to Inverness is about 4.5 hours and the trip to Ingonish from Cabot Links is about 1.5 hours?  Any details experienced travelers can provide would be apprciated. Thanks in advance for taking the time to post responses..

Paul Jones

Re: Cabot Links Upcoming Visit
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 10:23:38 AM »
Charlie,

I found this post that talks about traveling to and from - http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,51949.0.html

Paul
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Tom Dunne

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 10:37:30 AM »
Charlie,

I'd highly recommend taking the extra time to drive around the top of CBI from Highlands to Cabot. While there are some fantastic sections of road between Baddeck and Ingonish, the really glorious section of the Cabot Trail is between Ingonish and Cheticamp. Make sure to stop at one of the French bakeries in Cheticamp (an Acadian town) for lunch/snacks!

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 10:43:11 AM »
I don't think it will take four and a half hours from Halifax to Cabot. It is 315km, and although the road isn't fast all the way it isn't bad. I've done the journey from Cabot to the airport twice, and it hasn't taken more than three hours either way.

But Tom is right; while the quickest way from Cabot to Highlands is inland you would be insane to go that way rather than round the Cabot Trail. One of the best drives I have ever made.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Charlie_Bell

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 03:06:26 PM »
Consider me insane -- for never traveling the Cabot Trail in 15 years of visiting Nova Scotia -- and consider me bummed that you're not playing Cabot for several weeks.  I'm going to NS this weekend and will check the weather before picking a day to play there next week. 

The Cabot Trail remains one of my personal still-dying-to-see destinations in the world (along with Victoria Falls, White Sands/Alamagordo and a landmark in Montana known as Pompey's Pillar) but when we reach my wife's family's home in Chester on the gorgeous south shore, she's in heaven and doesn't want to move. 

I played Cabot Links last July, and I promise you'll love it.  I think 3.5 hours from the airport is about right, no stops.

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 03:38:51 PM »
Gentlemen,
  Thanks for your information filled replys.
Tom and Adam,
   If we drive the Cabot trail 'round to Cabot Links how much additional time is added to the trip? I ask because we land in the mid morning and will want to drive and play 18 before sunset.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 03:43:46 PM »
Gentlemen,
  Thanks for your information filled replys.
Tom and Adam,
   If we drive the Cabot trail 'round to Cabot Links how much additional time is added to the trip? I ask because we land in the mid morning and will want to drive and play 18 before sunset.

Charlie, you wouldn't drive the Trail between Halifax and Cabot, but between Cabot and Highlands. Not quite sure how much longer it would take than the inland road; it depends how many times you stop for photos!
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 03:58:10 PM »
scenic route-2 hours-no stops----but you should stop
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 05:06:36 PM »
I'm waiting to hear from one prospect, but did want to advertise that we may have room for one more on this August 3-9 trip.  Please IM or email me for details.  A side trip to Highland Links and a walk around the C&C course under construction are included in the plans.  This will be a small group trip of eight so nothing formal.   

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 12:35:18 PM »
Thanks to Tom for the french bakery info.
Any other dining or imbibing options we need to avail ourselves of?
Like Ireland, the seafood options have got to be very good.

Guy Nicholson

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 12:46:11 PM »
Like Ireland, the seafood options have got to be very good.

Chowder House in Neil's Harbour.

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 06:48:57 AM »
Charlie,
I will look forward to seeing you in August. Average daily temp is 75 that time of year and the ocean should be up to the low 70s, bring your swimsuit in lieu of rain gear. Adam is correct, three hours of driving time from Halifax airport to Inverness, although a little more to Ingonish. As stated previously, the trail is a spectacular drive, although I tend to prefer it counterclockwise.

Thanks,
Ben

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2013, 08:44:39 AM »
Ben,
   And I will be pleased very much to meet you.
   I will be packing as I do for overseas keeping a weather eye as the trip appraoches. I am expecting my partner for the trip and I will be arriving early mid afternoon on Monday the 5th. I have toured the course via the computer several times and it looks alluring. I like true links golf better than any other form of the game. It's going to be an odyssey, not unlike several of my Ireland trips, and I can't wait to get on the road.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2013, 04:26:52 PM »
If you like local music, the Red Shoe Pub in Mabou (about 20 min. south of Inverness) is a must.  Been there.  http://www.redshoepub.com/schedule.htm

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 09:35:19 AM »
Carl,
   That's great info. Is it Acadian style, sort of an offshoot of blue grass?

Carl Johnson

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 04:55:52 PM »
Carl,
   That's great info. Is it Acadian style, sort of an offshoot of blue grass?

Charlie, since you asked.

I think it would be fair call it Gaelic or Celtic, of which bluegrass is an offshoot.  There are different performers on different nights, though, and they might have some with Acadian stylings.  But based on my very limited experience on Cape Breton Island, I'd say you're more likely to find Acadian stylings to the north, say, in Cheticamp.  Inverness is in the middle, so maybe you'd have your choice there.  You've got different heritages on CBI - Catholic/Acadian and Protestant/Scots and Irish, and I think they may stick to their own music.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Breton_fiddling

Take a look at the Red Shoe schedule on their website. http://www.redshoepub.com/schedule.htm   One performer is Doug Lamey http://www.amazon.com/Step-Back-Time-Doug-Lamey/dp/B0085MJGOG/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1373228531&sr=1-1  Note that he's listed with a Ceilidh.  You can look that up.  Another performer is Anita MacDonald [and Friends] http://www.amazon.com/Step-Back-Time-Doug-Lamey/dp/B0085MJGOG/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1373228531&sr=1-1  August 1 is David Rankin.  I could not find any of his music on the web, but I assume he's of the "Rankin Family."

Several of the Rankin sisters own the Red Shoe. From Wikipedia. The Rankin Family is a Canadian musical family group from Mabou, Nova Scotia. The group has won many Canadian music awards, including 15 East Coast Music Awards, six Juno Awards, four SOCAN Awards, three Canadian Country Music Awards and two Big Country Music Awards.The Rankins come from a family of 12 siblings, all of whom would entertain the neighbours musically every third weekend as part of a céilidh. The first Rankin Family band formed in the 1970s when siblings Geraldine, Genevieve, David, John Morris, and Raylene Rankin began performing at local weddings and dances in Cape Breton. As the older siblings went away to college and university, the younger siblings Jimmy, Cookie and Heather took their places.  Jimmy, John Morris, Cookie, Raylene and Heather Rankin released their own independent cassettes, The Rankin Family (1989) and Fare Thee Well Love (1990), featuring original songs and a combination of traditional jigs, reels and Celtic folk songs. These independent recordings were distributed by the Canadian independent folk music distribution company 'Soundwright' until the band's major label break through with EMI. Their television debut was on the CBC variety show On the Road Again in 1989. EMI's re-release of Fare Thee Well Love in 1992, went quadruple platinum, selling over 500,000 copies; the title track was a Top 40 single in Canada.

Sadly the Rankin Family is no longer a performing group.  Here's a song on youtube -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pnc29VMiynE
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 05:03:48 PM by Carl Johnson »

Guy Nicholson

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2013, 05:10:11 PM »
Random but representative YouTube video with music from the pub.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnL8VQyd9_E

Harris Nepon

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2013, 09:15:52 AM »
Charlie,

I just got home from a road trip with my wife and we spent 3 days travelling the cabot trail, including a day at Cabot Links.

Frist off, everyone is right that you must drive the trail to get to Highland Links. Will take about 3 hours. Roads are incredible. Up and down the mountains and along cliffs. You can't drive very fast at times nor will you want to. Enjoy it.

FYI. The Red Shoe Pub is supposed to be great. We didn't go because it is about 20 to 30 mins from Cabot. So if you have a DD you can do it. While at Cabot I don't believe that it's worth it. Cabot has amazing food. i guess if you want the music go to Red Shoe Pub. Cabot might have someone playing there.

Near pleasant bay (1.5 hour from Cabot) you can stop along the road at a place called The Rusty Anchor for lunch. Get the Lobster Roll. Best one I had up the entire east coast. If nice out, sit on the patio over looking the Atlantic Ocean.

If you have time while travelling to Highland (you should make time) you should stop and do quick hike of the Skyline trail (will take 1 to 2 hours max). You might not see a more beautiful sight. IMO, this is a must. And if your are lucky (we weren't) you will see some moose. The hike is simple. So simple its wheelchair accesible.

Near Highland Links there is a place called the Main Street Cafe. It's ok for food. Problem with the trail is there is no where to eat that you have to eat.

Cabot was by far the best food and a treat after 2 days of OK food.

The sun comes up a little early and goes down little later then usual. Don't rush the drive. There will be plenty of time to play.

Weather wise, it will be humid. We were forcasted for rain every day but it didn't rain. I haven't been to scotland, but I don't think it will be as misrable as I imagine scotland to be weather wise. Check the weather before you pack and don't worry to much about it. Only need casual clothing. No where to dress up for.

Drink the local beer at Cabot. It's awesome. Can't remember the name.

enjoy the trip.

Cabot Links was amazing. there is nothing to say that hasn't been said. You will love it.

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2013, 02:41:53 PM »
Harris,
   Thank's for the detail in your report. I am compiling various  nuggets from the different postings here to use as a guide while in Nova Scotia. Your information is very helpful. It sounds like you had a great time.

Don Hyslop

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2013, 06:08:32 PM »
Charlie, If you have time there are a couple of courses you may wish to play along the way. Take route 9 out of Bangor ( known as the Airline) to Calais. Cross into New Brunswick from that point. You will have 4 lane highway all the way from Calais to Within a couple of hours from Cabot Links.  In St. Andrews, just a few minutes across the border, there is the Algonquin Golf Course. Originally a Donald Ross design, it was recently re-designed by Thomas McBroom. It is rated as the top course in New Brunswick'
http://www.algonquinresort.ca/golf.asp
Further on, just outside of Saint John is the Riverside Golf and Country Club which is a Donald Ross Course and has a history going back to 1897. Further up in Fundy National. It is a private course but e-mailing the pro and telling him of your interest in golf course architecture would probably get you a tee time.
https://www.riversidecountryclub.ca/
Another gem is in Fundy National Park a short distance off the main highway. It is a 9 hole treasure designed by Stanley Thompson.
http://www.tourismnewbrunswick.ca/Products/F/FundyNationalParkGolfCourse.aspx

I think you would enjoy any of these three courses that are along the way. Or you could have a great time just playing the Cape Breton Five.
http://www.golfcapebreton.com/golf-courses
Lots of choices but you may just want to play Cabot every day that you can. Have a great time!!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 06:13:37 PM by Don Hyslop »
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Paul Jones

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2013, 10:23:01 PM »
Should we exchange currency in the US at our local bank or wait until we get to Canada?  I know the airport will probably have the worst exchange rate.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Jud_T

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2013, 10:54:34 PM »
Not sure about Nova Scotia but I've often the best rates are by simply going to a local ATM.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Greg Beaulieu

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2013, 08:49:33 PM »
FYI. The Red Shoe Pub is supposed to be great. We didn't go because it is about 20 to 30 mins from Cabot. So if you have a DD you can do it. While at Cabot I don't believe that it's worth it. Cabot has amazing food. i guess if you want the music go to Red Shoe Pub. Cabot might have someone playing there.

The Red Shoe is great. I hear Ben's new pub at Cabot is pretty good too. But the Red Shoe is legendary. Here's a review by Bill Spurr of the Halifax Chronicle Herald from a couple of years ago that I posted here at the time but which I think bears repeating:

--

If you can’t enjoy yourself at the Red Shoe Pub, you might as well just stay home.

I thought I was in a commercial for Cape Breton tourism when we stopped in on Sunday at the Mabou pub, owned by the Rankin sisters. The 100-seat pub was packed and people were lined up out the door and down the steps for the weekly ceilidh, and a fiddler, piano player and a guy playing the spoons had the whole place clapping and cheering.

When we got a seat at the bar while we waited for a table, a young woman stood up and started step-dancing next to the piano. She got a big round of applause, and when she sat down I asked her how often she worked here, expecting her to tell me she was Mary Kate Morrison from Orangedale, or something like that. Turns out she was from Quebec and was waiting for a table, like us.

Customers spontaneously getting up to step dance! That’s how much fun the Red Shoe is. It’s a grand time, as they say.

The Red Shoe has a lot of character, and one of the people in our party speculated that three older guys at the next table, drinking Oland’s from the bottle and making observations, had been placed there to add local flavour for the tourists, but he was just kidding.

Besides, there’s plenty of colour here. The old hardwood floor is scuffed from people tapping their feet, black and white photos of local scenes decorate the walls, along with a long sign from Beaton’s clothing store, one of the building’s previous incarnations.

While we waited for someone to leave, I had a chance to check out the food coming out of the kitchen, carried by busy waitresses all wearing red shoes. The fish and chips, wings and wide bowls of chowder looked especially good.

Three of us had just finished a very onerous day of work, and we split a pitcher of Propeller Pilsner, which was very fresh, very cold and very quickly gone. Our server, the charming Katelyn, is at the Red Shoe for her fifth summer and knows what she’s doing, so we followed her advice.

My appetizer was one of the specials, a fish cake made with haddock and halibut, and topped with a corn and black bean salsa. The salsa added a level of spice I don’t normally associate with fish, but the cake had a wonderfully crisp crust, and a side salad included tomatoes that couldn’t have been picked more than 24 hours previously. An excellent start.

My colleague Jayson was just as pleased with his Mabou seafood chowder, made with big chunks of seafood and potatoes, and was especially impressed with the biscuit that came with the chowder, which he placed on a plane with those made by his wife, which are apparently the best in the world.

The biscuits at the Red Shoe are made with chunks of chilled butter, and are flaky and delicious.

The chowder is also dotted with house-made leek oil, and when a kitchen goes to the lengths of making their own flavoured oils, you know care is being taken with your food.

Being of delicate appetite, I had a second appetizer for my main, the BBQ pork fries, sweet potato fries topped with slow-cooked pulled pork, cheddar curds and a little pickled coleslaw. Not complex, but delicious.

Katelyn’s recommendation of the thick cut pork chop was bang on. If this big piece of pork had been cooked 30 seconds less, it would have been underdone, but it was perfect, tender and full of flavour, made even better by a topping of whisky apple chutney.

She also recommend the chicken pot pie, which is sort of open-faced, made with herbed chicken and served in a flaky pastry bowl, with lots of gravy. Not exactly hot weather food, to my mind, but very good.

We ran out of time for dessert, so went back the next night, having been told the gingerbread was worth it. Fresh ginger is put through a juicer to intensify its flavour in this dish, which is served with ice cream and a rum butterscotch sauce, and it is certainly very gingery.

I liked a strawberry galette even better, but the fresh berries are coming to an end. On that second visit, we made, in retrospect, the unwise decision to have dessert, then a bunch of wings, then another dessert. I think the spoons player was a bad influence on me.

Over two nights at the Shoe, I spent about $100, but lots of that was in beer and rum. The most expensive thing on the menu is $18.

I was impressed that the Rankin sisters have insisted on such high-quality food, when their fame would have made it easy to just serve over-priced fish and chips to tourists. Raylene Rankin was having supper in the pub with her family on the night we were there, and went out of her way to strike up a conversation with a family from Ottawa.

As my Cape Breton mother-in-law would say, Raylene’s a "beautyfull" person. And the Red Shoe Pub is a "beautyfull" place to eat.

( bspurr@herald.ca)

Bill Spurr is a features writer at The Chronicle Herald.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back