News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Trenham

Where did it start? - the shot gun start
« on: March 03, 2012, 05:01:00 PM »
My guess is this came about with the advent of the golf cart in the 1960s.  Does anyone know it's true genesis?
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Michael Whitaker

Re: Where did it start? - the shot gun start
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 05:05:24 PM »
My first encounter with the shotgun was at private club member-guest events where everyone needed to finish in time for the banquet.

Second encounter was at resort courses that wanted to maximize the number of players who could tee off before the summer heat set in for the day.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 05:13:51 PM »
Walla Walla CC, atate of Washington -1956
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 05:28:08 PM »
Walla Walla CC, atate of Washington -1956

Do you know why? 

Who was the golf professional.

Did they use a real shot gun?

And did they have any carts?

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 05:32:20 PM »
A 2004 GD article identified (to the best of their knowledge) head pro Jim Russell as the first person to fire off a shotgun to start play in a tournament at WWCC in May of 1956. 

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 05:36:39 PM »
Thanks Jim I will pull the article or I will get Joe Bausch to help.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 05:40:38 PM »
The only problem with Shotgun starts, is when they don't use a shotgun.

Finishing at similar times, so everyone can socialize and dine, at the same time, is the best justification.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 05:42:00 PM »
Mike,
It was in December's issue.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 05:45:01 PM »
I found evidence of an earlier shotgun start while doing research for my book "From Field to Fairways."

North Oaks Golf Club, a Stanley Thompson design built on James J. Hill's 5,000-acre estate in the northern suburbs of St. Paul, opened for play in 1951. I wrote this, based on information from the club's records: "By July 1953, the club was up to 331 members. Guest day on September 2 was so popular that the pro shop instituted what is thought to be golf’s first-ever shotgun start, in which players took assigned places on each hole around the course, began with the sound of a shotgun blast, and played the holes in order until they returned to where they began."

I can't absolutely vouch for it; I wasn't there. But North Oaks says their first shotgun start was Sept. 2, 1953.

"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 05:55:40 PM »
Rick,
That's looks like the earliest so far. Can't see why they'd write that in their records from 1953 if it wasn't true.

p.s They have a very extensive album of photos from Tom Lehmann's 2007 renovation at their website.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 06:00:30 PM by Jim_Kennedy »

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 06:03:59 PM »
Rick,
That's looks like the earliest so far. Can't see why they'd write that in their records from 1953 if it wasn't true.
Jim, I can't either, but after all the contentious discussions we've had here about club histories, I figured I'd be safer by presenting this information with a mild disclaimer.  ;)

And yes, North Oaks did a great job documenting Lehman's work there a few years ago. Wouldn't it have been nice if the clubs that built courses 100 years ago had had the technology to do that kind of record-keeping?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 06:07:33 PM by Rick Shefchik »
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 06:10:09 PM »
Rick,
Jim, I can't either, but after all the contentious discussions we've had here about club histories, I figured I'd be safer by presenting this information with a mild disclaimer.  ;)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

And yes, North Oaks did a great job documenting Lehman's work there a few years ago. Wouldn't it have been nice if the clubs that built courses 100 years ago had had the technology to do that kind of record-keeping?

Yes, that would have been a good thing.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 06:14:37 PM »
Being from West Virginia I, and Dr. Gray as well, are more accustomed to shotgun weddings.

Come to think of it that could explain a lot.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 07:31:36 PM »
The only problem with Shotgun starts, is when they don't use a shotgun.

Finishing at similar times, so everyone can socialize and dine, at the same time, is the best justification.

We use an air horn that is so loud it's good to head to your tee early!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 09:06:19 AM »
Yes Bill, The sound is very important and it doesn't matter what creates it. Otherwise, you invariable get some groups starting early and some groups starting late. All that does is create a wall.

Funny how something so small can have a huge impact on the success, and enjoyment, of the tournament.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back