News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

Re: Do the Members of GCA.com support this view point……
« Reply #100 on: April 04, 2012, 12:09:05 PM »

Jim

Many thanks for your comment and sticking to the topic in hand. Yes I understand and don’t disagree with you but Tim actually mentioned The Open which is limited to links courses, so it was in that vein that the post was made.

My father being man and boy from St Andrews and living overlooking TOC set his mind to swimming more than golfing, having said that he was more than a fair golfer in his day. While I was allowed to accompany him on the fine days over the courses, it was more or less understood that on questionable days he and his friends played unaccompanied - no youngsters. The reason being that when the Old Lady was showing her teeth it was not the place for the likes of us. As years passed it was made clear that those games were reserved for good golfer of near equal handicaps to have the freedom to face the course when she was being accompanies by her chaperone. In other words my father favoured the raw side of the game which he himself said pushed him and his ability to the near limit. I too have experience the game this way and must agree with my father’s findings. Love TOC but give me questionable conditions if I want to play good golf that is inwardly satisfying. So my opinion is that golf, in this case, on a links course, in bad weather conditions is indeed most suitable for golf.     

Sven

Sorry, you could not show as much energy and interest in the topic of this tread preferring to delve in 4 year old posts which have nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

Melvyn

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #101 on: April 04, 2012, 12:19:12 PM »
Melvyn:

As far as I can tell, the topic of this thread is you. 

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #102 on: April 04, 2012, 12:38:50 PM »

Sven

Can you really be that ........, let me again direct you to the topic, its under the heading called subject Do the Members of GCA.com support this view point……

The British Open is played on courses that are unfamiliar to me and in conditions that usually don't suit golf.

Yes I posted the topic but its about golf, the subject behind this site.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #103 on: April 04, 2012, 03:07:30 PM »
Mel, this is the first chance I have had to reply to your topic. While it was somewhat taken out of context in that I was referring to the majors and specifically tour pros performance, I think this is a very debatable topic and was interested to see how many GCA members felt the same way that I do about the majors.
I am not anti-links courses but am anti-bad weather golf. I feel that it is just not that much fun to play in bad weather and I don't feel it is the best way to determine the best golfer. That is probably why the PGA tour schedules tournaments in warm weather sites as much as possible. Since they do this they also don't schedule tournaments on links courses except for the British Open which is why I don't think that major really defines the best player since they are playing on courses and in conditions that are not what they are used to. I would relate this to playing one game of the NBA finals on an outdoor court in a windstorm.
I also understand that the game of golf was developed on links courses in bad weather conditions and many people would love the game to still be played like that in a nostalgic way. My feeling is that basketball was originated using peach baskets and players who couldn't dunk and I don't see the need to go back to that way of playing.
Of course this is just my opinion and it is open to debate and that's what this site is all about.
See you on the links, er, course!
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #104 on: April 04, 2012, 03:15:35 PM »

Tim

Great, thanks for getting involved and your comments. May not see you on the links but happy to share a drink with you as and when

Melvyn

Matt MacIver

« Reply #105 on: April 05, 2012, 09:10:04 AM »

Do the Members of GCA.com support this view point……[/b]

The British Open is played on courses that are unfamiliar to me and in conditions that usually don't suit golf.

My favorite round I've ever played was on a course I was unfamiliar with (Kingsbarns) in the worst weather (high wind, no rain) I've ever experienced.  I had to think hard on every shot, executed the better for it and can remember nearly one.  I beat a playing partner GROSS while giving ~15 shots.  He let the weather beat him while I relished it!  And he was a Scot!  Supposedly used to playing in bad weather.  Which, of course, he could normally do very well...what really got him mad was having to PAY so much to play in those conditions, thrifty as he was.  I couldn't disagree but I was there on holiday so the high cost was part and parcel for me. 

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #106 on: April 05, 2012, 11:05:54 AM »

Matt

Aye Laddie, Aye but not forgetting Kingsbarn is more an international course than a thoroughbred Scottish links so your playing partner may well have been a little upset at paying for the pleasure.

Some have long arms when playing but short arms and deep pockets when it comes to buying the winner a drink at the Bar afterwards. It’s not personal, just trying to keep our money out of the Westminster revenue collectors grasps. Wait and see come independence the English money will suddenly be out in abundance as many dig it up from gardens,  some say under the Road Hole, hence the deep bunker  ::)   and exchange it for real money (Scottish money, worth every penny Alex. Salmond can squeeze out of the rest of the British people). Nevertheless it’s our warm hearts and our golf that make it all worthwhile. ;)

Melvyn   

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back