News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Harshbarger

Alfred Tull and the Post-war Boom
« on: October 13, 2011, 05:44:09 PM »
There's been some recent interest in Dick Wilson on the site, and of course with that comes the talk about Robert Trent Jones, Sr.  These two seem to have been two of, if not the big lions of the post-war boom.  Both had their feet in the pre-war Golden Age, also, but their identity in the canon of GCA seems inextricably tied to the freeway stylings that defined the modern courses of that era.

So, can anyone shed light on where Alfred Tull fit into the industry in the post-war years.  He most definitely had an identity at the end of the Golden Age as Emmet's full-fledged partner, and came out the other end of the war years swinging with quite a few designs to his credit. 

Where did he fit into the GCA landscape of the 50's and 60's?  Was he the old-guard choice who was still bringing GA design principles to new courses?  Was he the alternative to the new school of RTJ Sr. and Wilson, and the other young lions?  What were you getting with a Tull course that you weren't getting with the other architects of the post-war era?

Finally, how have his courses fared the test of time?  I don't have his name as a principle architect on any course listed in the Golf Magazine Top 100 at any time, though one site has him with redesign credits at Maidstone.  Did his post-war work lose its luster like most of that era's courses have?  Or, was his work too much like the GA to outshine the shiny new courses of the post-war time, but not bright enough to shine like the classic courses of the GA?

Dave
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Jerry Kluger

Re: Alfred Tull and the Post-war Boom
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 07:54:34 PM »
I am a member of a course which is a Tull design - he designed quite a few in the DC area.  His courses were good solid member courses but like most courses of that era there was nothing exceptional in the architecture.  I really enjoy my course and Tull wasn't afraid to do some things out of the ordinary such as a large tree in a fairway and he did use some template holes such as a Redan.  Unfortunately the rage in that era by the members of many clubs not matter who the architect, was to tree line every hole so the courses are overplanted with pine trees which are now coming to the end of their lifespans which means that they will be removed but will cost quite a bit to do so. 

David Harshbarger

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 07:31:05 AM »
Jerry,

Thanks for that info.  Is it safe to say then that he did bring some of the GA principles along with him into the post-war era?  do you know or have you heard why Tull was awarded the commission at your club?

i was looking at one club's site and they had Tull's name prominent in the course blurb, which led me to wonder how much value he was/is perceived to bring to a club.

Dave
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 07:55:02 AM »
David: Unfortunately my club had a fire a number of years ago and all the old records burned.  I do think that Tull felt comfortable doing something unusual and his name recognition was probably due to his association with Emmett.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back