News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

In the future, I'll probably still play 13a, but not 18a.

The problem with the "you can always skip it" argument re: 13a is that if the group in front plays it, you're screwed. You likely won't have quite enough time to go past them and get clear, so you're stuck sitting around. And if you are just going to sit around, you may as well play it.

At least with 18a if you decide against playing it, you're done, so it doesn't matter.

13a was my favourite one-shotter on the back nine, so I think it's a pity it doesn't really fit.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 09:03:55 AM by Scott Warren »

Matthew Mollica

Do you think it adds to the routing?   Do you think you would miss it if it wasn't there?

Brett, you raise some good points - as usual. I think the hole does add to the routing. Now having played it, I'd miss it if the hole were no longer there. I accept most wouldn't.

If it's not going to add any particular value other than that and is a drop down in significant quality from the rest of the holes then that alone begs the Q as to it's need. SAB has a bit of a walk uphill from the 18th green back to the clubhouse and Doak didn't see the need to put another hole in there ?

Kevin, St. A Beach are lucky to have 18 - never mind building extras!

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

James Bennett

Judging by the size of the teeing ground, Bill Coore didn't expect everyone to play 18a.  It would be a tiny tee for a long par 5 where driver is used.  It is miniscule when it comes th wedge/9-iron divots and recovery, and is located in a shade area so regrowth will be slow.

I think 18a gets more discussion than it deserves or was intended to get.  It is a distraction to a great facility - you only need it for a tie-breaker.  Nothing else.
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

James Bennett

Re: BARNBOUGLE LOST FARM: A hole-by-hole pictorial!!! (20th hole posted)
« Reply #203 on: August 31, 2011, 08:39:47 AM »
Stumbling through Google Maps, and found this.  How would you route a course on this property?

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back