News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Design For Compassion
« on: August 28, 2011, 03:08:07 AM »
I am not usually fond of esoteric threads because they are often difficult to tie back into the game of golf.  In recent weeks I have noticed in general life the lack of good design for compassion.  It could well be that compassion can, when most effective, come only directly from a person rather than indirectly from an object - I don't know.  Assuming a design for compassion can be effective (for lack of a better word), does it apply to golf?  If so, what are some possible examples?  Or is the assumption just a step too far in the human experience for a designer to contemplate?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Jeff_Brauer

Re: Design For Compassion
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 08:18:01 AM »
Sean,

Two examples come to mind, maybe three:

ADA compliance, above and beyond.  Surprised at how many designers poo poo the idea a dozen years after ADA became law. I played in and ADA tourney and visited an disabled hospital where they were working on adaptive devices.  Changed my opinon.  Does a bunker really need to be 20 foot deep to challenge the 1% of great players, or is it more important to make it shallow for the .001% of disabled golfers?

Not elevating tees because its hard for seniors to walk up to them.  At 56, I am getting more sympathetic all the time!

Eliminating long forced carries for women and beginners.  One famous gca was said to have been told that a forced carry of a water hazard and deep bunker effectively ended women's rounds at the ninth hole.  He said " Should have put it at the first hole!"  Not much in golf design has ever been sympathetic to women, and now that they are an important demographic, that should change, although, when I say it that way, it sounds more sympathic to the golf course owners......
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back