News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Stansell

Another New Member Introduction
« on: August 25, 2011, 03:26:12 PM »
This seems to be a day of introductions, so I'll make mine, even though I can't begin to compete with Pete Blaisdell's cv. 

I'm Joe Stansell (nearing my 50th birthday) and I live in the Pacific Northwest (Seattle area) with my wife and two teenage sons. Several years or so ago I became quite interested in golf course architecture (eyes opened by Tom Doak's book, The Anatomy of a Golf Course). I joined this site but mostly lurked until, one day, my access quietly expired. Ran has graciously granted me a second chance, for which I'm grateful.

Now that our area includes a number of great courses (Bandon Resort, Chambers Bay, and Wine Valley my favorites among them), I'm hoping that I will have a little bit more to offer. But I intend not to abuse my posting privileges, and I will continue to read with great interest.

Jason Topp

Re: Another New Member Introduction
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 03:55:38 PM »
Welcome Joe!  Sahalee - like it or not?  I have never played there but have some friends that are members.

Sean Leary

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 04:12:42 PM »
Joe,

Hope to meet you next week at the GCA dinner.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 04:33:14 PM »

Joe,

Don't you think Wine Valley is undervalued?

Anthony

PCCraig

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 04:49:49 PM »
Welcome Joe!

I was in Seattle this past March and was able to sneak in a couple rounds of golf and a few really good meals (had the best Sushi at Shiro's...what a place). Apparently I was there on the nicest weekend of the winter as our host said it was the first time she'd seen the sun two days in a row in months! :)
H.P.S.

Emile Bonfiglio

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 05:14:33 PM »
welcome from another newer member from Portland!
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

Joe Stansell

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 06:32:08 PM »
Welcome Joe!  Sahalee - like it or not?  I have never played there but have some friends that are members.

I haven't had a chance to play it but I've walked it several times -- first during the PGA and later during the NEC. It looks a lot like many other Pacific Northwest courses -- very, very green, and very, very forested. But it is the belle of the ball in that limited category, and for that reason alone, I would give it a go in a heartbeat. My driver would probably have to stay in my bag, though.

Joe Stansell

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 06:34:56 PM »
Short answer: yes!

I love Wine Valley, and have three different trips under my belt to as proof. I play Chambers Bay a little more often for the convenience factor, but Wine Valley probably pulls at my heart a little more.

Joe,

Anthony

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 06:55:58 PM »
Short answer: yes!

I love Wine Valley, and have three different trips under my belt to as proof. I play Chambers Bay a little more often for the convenience factor, but Wine Valley probably pulls at my heart a little more.

Joe,

Anthony

Joe,

Very cool.  I live in the Spokane area and have played Wine Valley on two difference occasions (3 rounds) in addition to one round at Chambers.  While I really like WV, I'm curious why you prefer it over Chambers.  There aren't any right or wrong answers here, just interested to hear your input from a new guys perspective.

Thanks

Joe Stansell

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 07:29:41 PM »

Joe,

Very cool.  I live in the Spokane area and have played Wine Valley on two difference occasions (3 rounds) in addition to one round at Chambers.  While I really like WV, I'm curious why you prefer it over Chambers.  There aren't any right or wrong answers here, just interested to hear your input from a new guys perspective.

Thanks

Ah, the test. Why does the heart tug one way and not the other?

It's probably not the course alone, but the "feel" of it. I like the isolation of Wine Valley. (And for that reason, I dread the thought of a housing development.)  I like the pace of life around the club house (easy) and the pace of play on the course (quick). I like that the green keeper's dogs have the run of the place. I like that I shot my best round ever at Wine Valley.

That said, both Wine Valley and Chambers Bay are wide-open, firm-and-fast, and strategic. The greens require creativity (more so Chambers Bay). Winds play a factor (more so Wine Valley). And, especially at Chambers Bay, the views are great. It is for this reason that my favorite between the two is often the one I played last. At least that's my answer for now.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 07:47:41 PM »
Joe,

Awesome stuff indeed.  I too am a big fan of playing remote golf courses that feel like you have the place to yourself.  Wine Valley certainly fits that bill so I too also dread when the McMansions go up, it will almost certainly detract from the place.

I'm also a fan of big and bold architecture on the course and while WV has some of that, I found it more so at Chambers.  Chambers does have the 1 so-so hole in #8, but I felt Wine Valley has 3 of them.  #6 with the pond, #9...also with the pond, and #13 with the featureless and flat fairway.

But no doubt holes like 4-5, 7, 14-15 are pretty stunning and extremely well done.  All that being said, I still have Wine Valley as a my # 2 WA course.  But I haven't played Tumble Creek, Aldarra, or Olympic Gold.

Thanks for your input, because yes Wine Valley definitely does illicit an emotional response, its just a very very cool course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back