News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Kardash

It must be strange...
« on: July 11, 2011, 09:48:15 PM »
It must be strange to be Bill Coore and Tom Doak and witness every new course copy a style they made popular. It's nothing new, and it happens in every form of art, but it must be surreal seeing a style you've developed being vomitted back at you everywhere you look. It's like the world holding up a giant mirror to you. If it were me, I would feel weird about it and almost wonder if I were doing something wrong. It would probably make me wanna start doing a completley different style. Then again, I am told I am often a contrarian and get uncomfortable when too many people agree with me. Leonard Cohen once wrote in Death of a Lady's Man, "I must have done something terribly wrong to make another man so happy".
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Bill_McBride

Re: It must be strange...
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 10:02:17 PM »
Really?  What about Engh, Nicklaus, the Jones brothers?   C&C and Renaissance pretty much dominate that minimalist style, don't they?

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 10:06:25 PM »
Matt:

What new courses have copied Mr. Coore and Mr. Doak's style(s)?

WW

David Harshbarger

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 11:00:09 PM »
Matt,

How many designers are copying versus being inspired by their design style?  Copying is crass, but inspired is engaged and aware. All the great art movements have those that define the framework, and those that follow, expressing the concepts of the state of the art of their time, but with their own impramatur. 

Dave
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Ron Farris

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 11:32:40 PM »
Imitation is a form of flattery. 
Pete Dye saw what RT Jones was doing and did the opposite.......rest is history on that front.

We now have societies where people have become experts on dead folks, professing to know what the intentions and thoughts & desire were.   I think that is a product of the economy and an avenue to procure remodel jobs and not necessarily copying. 

Call it trendy, but people have been riding the curtails of the success of others for ever.
A real renegade was Desmond Muirhead with his mermaid features.  I don't see too much of that in John Harbottle's work.
He actually worked with him for a while. 

Hair styles are often copied.  I have been trying to get my to look lik Jon Bon Jovi for years, but it looks like I may have to settle for Kojak.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 12:45:08 AM »
Matt,

Thinking about the last three "Tom Doak" golf courses I've played - Common Ground, the Renaissance Club and Rock Creek - it isn't clear to me Tom Doak copies Tom Doak.

I had the same feeling playing Cape Kiddnappers, Barnbougle and St. Andrews Beach (my favorite).
Tim Weiman

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 09:52:06 AM »
Matt,

Thinking about the last three "Tom Doak" golf courses I've played - Common Ground, the Renaissance Club and Rock Creek - it isn't clear to me Tom Doak copies Tom Doak.

I had the same feeling playing Cape Kiddnappers, Barnbougle and St. Andrews Beach (my favorite).

Not to mention Tom pointed the same thing out on the thread about C&C's worst holes, that they themselves have copied one of the greens at Sand Hills 4-5 times now.
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back