News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Okula

Re: Earthworms
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2011, 03:49:26 PM »
Melvyn, thank you for that article. While it relates a fascinating (to me, anyway) description of the origins of hollow tine aeration, it also shows how far we’ve come from the primitive methods of the early twentieth century.

It does raise one or two elementary questions. For example, it refers to, “alkaline ammonia sulphate fertilizer”. Ammonium sulfate is a common agricultural and turfgrass fertilizer, manufactured by combining ammonia with sulfuric acid, and so is an acidic product, commonly used to lower high pH soils.  Obviously, the knowledge of soil science at the time of the article was less than perfect.

Another question raised is, previous to Hamilton’s tenure, how many earthworms were active in sandy, links, soils? While I don’t have any empirical data to support this, earthworms aren’t normally found in great numbers in a sandy soil because it lacks the high organic matter that the worms thrive on. I have observed on my own course that earthworms abound in the native clay soils of fairways and roughs but they are rarely seen in the sand-based construction of greens and tees. Also, there is no mention of how Hamilton eradicated the worms from the Old Course, if in fact they were a problem there in the first place.

As a turf manager, I say that hollow tine aeration is superior to earthworm activity for several reasons:

- Uniformity – Mechanical aeration is done evenly across the surface. The object of golf turf management is to provide consistent conditions across the course. Earthworms will always favor certain areas over others.
   - Consistency – We can perform mechanical aeration to our own schedule, when we need to, and not depend on the vagaries of mindless soil organisms.
   - Presentation – With mechanical aeration, we can collect cores, topdress, brush, and prepare the surface in a predictable manner to allow for playable conditions in the shortest possible time span. No mud. . Also, and more importantly, earthworms attract predators such as crows, skunks, raccoons, badgers and boars, that are severely disruptive to turfgrass swards.
   - Thatch control – Hollow tine aeration will guarantee the removal of up to 8% of the thatch layer in each process. Earthworms remove none. I know the argument that a healthy soil aerated by earthworms will have more thatch-consuming micro-organisms, but this is far from proven, and anyway, mechanical aeration will produce the same results.  

The idea that we could ever further the industry by forsaking modern methods and returning to the days of old is a fallacy. There is no lost, mystical, knowledge that if only we could bring back it would make the world right again. None of us have first-hand knowledge of course conditions prior to WWII, but I’ve been playing and working on golf courses since the 1960’s, and in my lifetime conditions have improved by leaps and bounds.

In the history of greenkeeping, courses began irrigating because it improved conditions. The first courses to irrigate their turf had an edge over the competition that didn’t do so. Likewise fertilizers and chemicals were introduced because there were severe problems caused by insects, diseases, weeds, and lack of nutrition resulting in all but unplayable surfaces. This wasn’t a chicken or egg scenario; which came first, the pests or the chemicals?  Irrigation, chemicals, and fertilizers were employed because they led directly to an enhancement of the game. The same is true regarding the evolution of turf equipment, but that doesn’t seem to bother anybody; no one suggests we should go back to mowing fairways with horse-drawn gang mowers.

I don’t get mad at golfers who complain about earthworms. I’ve seen fairways so infested with these “beneficial” creatures that you couldn’t find enough open turf for a lie. In the fall and winter here in the north of France, where it never dries out but it’s still warm enough for the grass to grow, mower blades, seals, and bearings will be ruined as they smear the mud across the sward. It is unacceptable for reasonable people.

Along the same lines, I understand people who would rather play off bentgrass than, say, clover. It makes sense to me, and I don’t hold it against them. Turf needs some nutrition to recover from normal wear and tear due to play. Diseases left unchecked will obliterate a stand of grass. Unirrigated areas can and will die, leaving bare areas ripe for weed infestations.

We superintendents are in a service industry, and so we respond to customer expectations. If I managed a restaurant, I would put steak on the menu, and not argue with people who want one that, “No, beef comes from too high up the food chain, and so is ecologically irresponsible, have the vegetarian lasagna instead.” Sure, you could have a vegetarian restaurant, or a totally organic golf course for that matter, but you would be reducing your potential customer base to the point that it would be an impractical business model for the majority of locations and situations.

That said, I am not advocating excessive water, fertilizer, or chemicals (drainage, on the other hand, is like thin or rich, you can never have too much). Chemical and fertilizer applications are never cheap or easy, and they should be used as sparingly as possible. However, these products, applied correctly, pose no threat to the environment on or off the golf course, and contribute to the growth of an industry and the enjoyment of the game by tens of millions of people.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 03:52:54 PM by Steve Okula »
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2011, 04:17:18 PM »
Do earthworms actually provide any aeration benefit?

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2011, 05:56:31 PM »

Steve

In the building of Braemar Greens in circa 1904 specially selected turf was selected for the Greens
Under the new turf the ground was prepared to reduce/remove the worm by laying a bed of cinders

I have some more info but in a file I as yet have not found, so may be more info soon.

Melvyn

Carl Johnson

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2011, 09:50:55 PM »
Do earthworms actually provide any aeration benefit?

I'm not a horticulturist, but it seems to me that some of the effects of earthworms listed below could be in the "aeration" category.

From my post above:

From US Department of Agriculture

WHAT DO EARTHWORMS DO?

Earthworms dramatically alter soil structure, water movement, nutrient dynamics, and plant growth. They are not essential to all healthy soil systems, but their presence is usually an indicator of a healthy system. Earthworms perform several beneficial functions.
Stimulate microbial activity. Although earthworms derive their nutrition from microorganisms, many more microorganisms are present in their feces or casts than in the organic matter that they consume. As organic matter passes through their intestines, it is fragmented and inoculated with microorganisms. Increased microbial activity facilitates the cycling of nutrients from organic matter and their conversion into forms readily taken up by plants.

Mix and aggregate soil. As they consume organic matter and mineral particles, earthworms excrete wastes in the form of casts, a type of soil aggregate. Charles Darwin calculated that earthworms can move large amounts of soil from the lower strata to the surface and also carry organic matter down into deeper soil layers. A large proportion of soil passes through the guts of earthworms, and they can turn over the top six inches (15 cm) of soil in ten to twenty years.

Increase infiltration. Earthworms enhance porosity as they move through the soil. Some species make permanent burrows deep into the soil. These burrows can persist long after the inhabitant has died, and can be a major conduit for soil drainage, particularly under heavy rainfall. At the same time, the burrows minimize surface water erosion. The horizontal burrowing of other species in the top several inches of soil increases overall porosity and drainage.

Improve water-holding capacity. By fragmenting organic matter, and increasing soil porosity and aggregation, earthworms can significantly increase the water-holding capacity of soils.

Provide channels for root growth. The channels made by deep-burrowing earthworms are lined with readily available nutrients and make it easier for roots to penetrate deep into the soil.

Bury and shred plant residue. Plant and crop residue are gradually buried by cast material deposited on the surface and as earthworms pull surface residue into
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 09:52:48 PM by Carl Johnson »

Grant Saunders

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2011, 04:12:25 PM »
Carl

Those are all valid points.

However the issue that I raised is in relation to the casting left by the earthworms. The problem is when you have to mow a surface which is covered worm casts. Ideally, you would do this when they are dry so as not to smear them, but this in itself creates damage to mowers and compromises cutting quality. Unfortunately, especially in my situation, the opportunity to only cut when dry is virtually non existent so I am forced to mow while the ground is wet. This rolls and smears the casts on the surface which will seal up the surface of the soil as well as smothering grass. The end result is thinning of turf and a wet slushy surface. All those wonderful benefits of worms as you have listed are rendered pointless because water isnt able to penetrate the surface as effectively.

Steve

Thank you for your posts and your addressing of my questions. Much like the threads about whether architects actually know more than poeple on here about gca, the same applies to maintaining a golf course. Many people think they know what it takes but in reality they have no idea.

Melvyn

You know much about history and have a clear passion for the game. I envy you for the fact that you reside at the home of golf and are so spoiled with so may great golf courses that you in the position to have such strong ideals. Unfortunately for myself, and probably the majority on here, I am not in that situation and should your views be more widely shared then I would never have had the opportunity to play the game. I certainly respect the methods of past greenkeepers but also recognise that courses and expectations have changed so the need for new ideas and ways to do the job must be embraced.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2011, 04:19:09 PM »
The object of golf turf management is to provide consistent conditions across the course.

Steve:

I take some umbrage with this statement. While it is true that many golf facilities across the world seek to achieve this goal, this cannot be stated to be the categorical object of golf turf management.

The object of golf turf management is to provide playing conditions that reasonably integrate the golfer to the challenges of the golf course in a manner which rewards skillful play across a statistically significant time.

Consistency of conditions MAY NOT (and I would argue CAN NOT as a primary skill in golf is to overcome variance in conditioning) accomplish this end.

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2011, 06:40:16 PM »
Kyle,
Save that post and read it to YOUR owner or green committee when they want to know why your greens and fwys are covered in castings.

Many animals stir up the ground. here in TX we have dillos, skunks, hogs, coons and they all "aerate" the ground. What should we do about them? What about geese, coots, and ducks? Hell, mole crickets, cutworms, and sod webworms turn up soil as well. Kyle, I think I even remember a post from you talking about all the acephate you were spraying for mole crickets. Why pick on them?

Carl Johnson

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2011, 05:07:45 PM »
Carl

Those are all valid points.

However the issue that I raised is in relation to the casting left by the earthworms. The problem is when you have to mow a surface which is covered worm casts. Ideally, you would do this when they are dry so as not to smear them, but this in itself creates damage to mowers and compromises cutting quality. Unfortunately, especially in my situation, the opportunity to only cut when dry is virtually non existent so I am forced to mow while the ground is wet. This rolls and smears the casts on the surface which will seal up the surface of the soil as well as smothering grass. The end result is thinning of turf and a wet slushy surface. All those wonderful benefits of worms as you have listed are rendered pointless because water isnt able to penetrate the surface as effectively.

Thanks, I understand your problem more clearly now.  Hope you can find some solution that works.  Carl

Bill Brightly

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2011, 09:33:48 PM »
I also think that when the mowers "cut" the castings a quarter-sized black patch is left and the fairway grass does not grow there. If you have many castings in an area, it kind of looks like a series of small oil spills, very unsightly. I've heard that many states prohibit putting down chemicals to treat for worms, I wonder if any supers agree. We sand our fairways on a regular basis and a nice side effect is that the worms dont like it, so they move to the rough where they belong!

Troy Alderson

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2011, 10:24:37 PM »
Grant,

I would not "kill" the earthworms with chemical applications, but if you need to then do it.  IMO, the "environmental" solution is to sand topdress.  The worms do not like the sand.  Topdress as much as possible and as much as affordable.  Even if it is only twice per year during core aeration, over time you will see improvements.  Playing conditions will improve also.

Grant Saunders

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2011, 10:44:35 PM »
Troy

I agree regarding the deterent effect of sand topdressing. Unfortunately this is simply too cost prohibitive for my situation.

Bill

Those small areas where the castings are provide the perfect place for weeds and poa to establish and contribute to thin turf.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back