News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Clayman

Re: The Genius of The Masters, By Design
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2011, 10:18:23 AM »

As for #9, it can certainly go either way, and I used to think it was the key to the tournament.  When Crenshaw birdied it in '84, I thought he was going to finally win.  When Nicklaus birdied it in '86, I thought, holy crap, he has a chance.  [Same with Tiger this year.]  Y

Small correction Tom. Tiger did not birdie 9 Sunday. He made a par that probably felt like a birdie.

Patrick, You stated the courses initial intent was to hold this tournament. Is that a known fact? I recall hearing, (I think it was a Jack Whitaker intro) that Jones scoured the eastern seaboard to find the best land to build the best course.

What year did they reverse the config?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2011, 10:20:04 AM »
Adam - see post above re: date of swapping nines - 1934.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2011, 02:47:56 PM »

As for #9, it can certainly go either way, and I used to think it was the key to the tournament.  When Crenshaw birdied it in '84, I thought he was going to finally win.  When Nicklaus birdied it in '86, I thought, holy crap, he has a chance.  [Same with Tiger this year.]  Y

Small correction Tom. Tiger did not birdie 9 Sunday. He made a par that probably felt like a birdie.

Patrick, You stated the courses initial intent was to hold this tournament. Is that a known fact?

YES, it's a known fact.

I recall hearing, (I think it was a Jack Whitaker intro) that Jones scoured the eastern seaboard to find the best land to build the best course.

Jones was from Atlanta.
I don't think his target site was the Eastern Seaboard

What year did they reverse the config?

Chris Buie

« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2011, 03:12:12 PM »
If I remember correctly, they originally wanted to host a U.S. Open but the June date would not be good with the sweltering Augusta summer and the USGA was not going to move it to April.  I don't think they had that sub-air thing going on then.  ;) When the U.S. Open didn't happen that is when they decided to hold their own tournament.  Cliff Roberts wanted to call it the Masters from the outset but Jones thought that was too presumptuous.  Cliff eventually got his way - as usual. Roberts insistence on getting his way led to an estrangement with Jones - to the point where Jones eventually focused more on Peachtree.  That is how I recall it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back