News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Talk to me About Whitinsville
« on: January 30, 2008, 09:27:51 AM »
Not to plug TP's book, To the Nines again, though it is hard not to given its high quality, I would like to know more about Whitinsville GC.  Does anybody have pix and/or comments?  I am especially intrigued by the 8th & 9th.    

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Brad Tufts

Re:Talk to me About Whitinsville
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 10:18:40 AM »
Hi Sean,

I have played Whitinsville 4 times (played nine 4 times), all practice and tournament rounds in preparation for a Massachusetts Golf Association amateur qualifier.

Eight and Nine are definately the most intriguing holes on the property.  

Eight is a shortish par 4 of about 320, and the tee shot is challenging.  The shot angles over a marsh area to a fairway that jogs hard left towards the green.  One can aim much further left than it appears from the tee, but that line is over the most marsh, and a bunker.  I do not remember the green being that interesting, but it was a while ago I was there.

Nine is one of Ben Crenshaw's favorite par fours.  The hole is about 435, doglegging right.  The hole goes straight for rougly 270 yards before plunging down into a gully.  Anything right off the tee will find a long slope or the pond at the bottom.  The green is elevated with fairway running up to it from the left, generally flat and the same elevation as the first fairway on the other side of the dip.  Bunkers flank the green left and right, but the front is open.  The biggest challenge is which club to hit off the tee, and where to place the drive.  Many Ross courses around the Boston area have long par fours designed with the natural terrain to force the player to club down off the tee (often a fairway wood), and force a long iron to the green.  Long hitters can blast through the fairway on these holes and usually be ok (like at #9 at Whitinsville), but their 8-9-PW approach will be hit from thick rough and an uneven lie.  It's sort of the 1920s-1940s version of the PGA tour debate on whether to hit driver on every hole to be closer to the green irrespective of lie in the fairway or rough.

As for other holes at Whitinsville, #1 has a fun push-up green to the reachable par 5, #2 is a cute short semi-blind par 3 surrounded by bunkers and rough, #s 3-4 go across a local street and are medium-length par fours, one uphill, one severely downhill.  #3 sports a sort of split fairway, higher on the right gets a better look at the elevated green.  You can see some great Ross rock-pile mounds in between these two holes, and some behind the green on #4.  #5 is a blind-drive long par 4 that plays downhill, the drive framed by fairway bunker not really in play these days.  #6 is a lazy dogleg right to a green in a very wide-open area, much like the rest of the 9 on the clubhouse side of the street.  #7 is a medium to longish par 3 out in the open, exposed to the wind.

It is a wonderful course, truly one of the best classic (if not just best) 9s in the US, but alas, it only has 9.

-Brad
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

RDecker

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 10:19:52 AM »
Whitinsville is the finest 9 holer I've ever played and the course I manage runs a close second.  Whitinsville retains a great deal of it's Ross character and is very well maintained as you would expect with quality membership and the money that that  brings with it.  It's been 3 years since I played but the 9th hole really does stand out.  If memory serves it was a wild dogleg right with a huge dip in the middle of the fairway with right to left slope and a blind second shot was very likely if you didn't drive wisely...  Anyway the course is total class and even came with an appropriately subdued clubhouse and proshop.  Very nice

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 11:27:44 AM »
Sean:

The ninth gets so much deserved praise, but there are other fantastic holes there. I'm a big fan of of short par-4s and the third is one of the best. Players who flirt with woods on the right of the 327-yard hole have an open approach to the green. Those who take the safe route to the left must negotiate a series of bunkers that impair the line of site on the approach, which look to be up next to the putting surface, but are some 20 yards short.

The downhill second at 147 yards is a delight as well with bunkers carved out of the green pad in the front and on the left and right.

Copyrighted Photo/Anthony Pioppi

Anthony
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 12:12:59 PM by Anthony Pioppi »

michael_j_fay

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 12:42:13 PM »
All I can say is if you are ever near Worcester or for that matter Boston you should see Whitinsville. This nine holes has about as much fun as one can handle.

If you are getting out to NE give me a call.

MJFay

Michael Powers

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 02:06:14 PM »
I have played Whitinsville many times and always found it enjoyable.  3 and 4 across the street don't hold up well to the rest of the course.  #8 is a good short par 4 although its not the type you go for unless you can bust it 300+, which I think may take away from the hole.  If you do hit driver you better either get it in the air quick or hit a big sweeping hook as the trees are right in line with the green from the tee.

#9 is probably the stongest par 4 on the course.  It is a little awkward from the tee because it calls for a fade, but fade it too much and you are in the pond.  If you hit it over the hill with a hook, you end up in the rough.  It reminds me of #9 at Salem (which played as the 18th for the Senior Open).  In both cases Ross uses a severe slope in the landing area and dares you to try to make par by bailing out to the left.  

Other than #9 I think #6 is a much stronger hole than #8.  Wide open off the tee as per Ross' style, then a green which sits at a very weird angle.  Anything straight or right to left on the approach must take on the bunker in front, a fun hole.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 02:10:45 PM by Michael Powers »
HP

hick

Re: Talk to me About Whitinsville
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 11:16:35 AM »
just read online that whitinsville no longer has a waitlist for membership. even in these times 3500 initiation and 2000 a year is not bad. Played the course a few years ago and loved it.

hick

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 02:45:13 PM »
Does anyone have any photos of whitinsvilles hole 9 they can post.

PThomas

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 05:17:00 PM »
i believe Gil Hanse will be doing some work out there
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 06:58:28 PM »
A must play for anyone in the area... May be up there for best deals in the North East/New England. #9 has so many options off the tee. A long hard par, do you do the right thing on the tee and play left? A great drive that catches gets rewarded off the slope.

hick

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 11:54:02 AM »
FYI, For those in the area of whitinsville. They are offering a trial membership for the 2011 season for $2,000.00

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 04:16:59 AM »
Thank you gents.  I must have missed the replies oh so long ago.  Are there anymorepix of this course?

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

hick

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 07:54:31 AM »
Sean, I hope to play the course in may and take some shots.

Nick Campanelli

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 09:05:22 AM »
I've been looking for pics of this course as well.  If you tilt Google Earth with terrain, the 9th tee shot looks pretty dramatic...how long is the carry to the top of crest in the fairway?
Landscape Architect  //  Golf Course Architect

Brad Klein

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 09:42:49 AM »
I've got a good color image of the 9th hole and a fine b&w aerial of the layout in the 1930s, if someone will volunteer to post them for me here on GCA.

Superintendent David Johnson has been devoted to a restoration and has done remarkable work in-house on the place of late, with the support of his various committees and following Hanse's plan.

Nick Campanelli

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 09:58:14 AM »
Courtesy of Brad Klein...

Aerial  |  Circa 1930

9th Approach

Scorecard

Brad Klein

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2011, 10:12:47 AM »
Aerial image is oriented with Northeast on top, par-5 1st hole to left, green of short par-3 2nd hole at bottom left, and famous par-4 9th dogleg right hole at top center.

Second image is of par-4 9th, from vantage point atop hill of the fairway landing area where most normal drives land.

Travis Dewire

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2011, 11:39:32 AM »
Ranked 126 in the most recent GolfWeek next 100 classic courses. Pretty good for only 9 holes.

And in 2010's Golf Digest best 25 9 hole coures, Whitinsville is ranked second.

A quaint and beautiful New England town, with a lot of charm and colonial feel left. Only about 6,000 people in the village (in the town of Northbridge - new course just built there Shinning Rock anyone been yet???)

Always hear great comments about the course, but never gets enough discussion amongst people in MA - I would guess it is because they dont know about it!!

I have met a good handful of members from WGC, and they are all great, great guys. They love their golf, and they love to play - add a smile and you can not beat it.

Play if you can!!!!!

Travis Dewire

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2011, 11:52:53 AM »

here is a pic from the website you can see the 9th hole snaking back, and a glimpse of the pond up the right hand that was mentioned. You can see that the tee calls for a fade, but you run the risk of losing it and ending up in the water. Bail is certainly left, but looks like a brutally long approach to an uphill green, punched into the hill side.

John Foley

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2011, 08:40:16 PM »
Really hope to see Whitinsville this summer when I am in the area.

Love the old aerial. Where are all the trees??
Integrity in the moment of choice

Tim Nugent

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2011, 09:41:56 PM »
Aerial image is oriented with Northeast on top, par-5 1st hole to left, green of short par-3 2nd hole at bottom left, and famous par-4 9th dogleg right hole at top center.

Second image is of par-4 9th, from vantage point atop hill of the fairway landing area where most normal drives land.

Notice how the bunker on 9 is nicely integrated into the fairway in the old aerial but out in no man's land rough in the current photo? Just one of my "nails on the chalkboard" pet peeves.
Coasting is a downhill process

Brad Klein

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2011, 06:30:09 AM »
Warning, that aerial of the 9th hole is a decade old. Today the short bunker left is much better integrated. Thanks for pointing that out, Tim.

Sean_A

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2011, 07:51:18 AM »
Thanks for the extra info/graphics guys - much appreciated. 

Tim - I was going to comment on how odd it was that between the 1 & 9 there were bunkers floating in rough on the aerial.  Its also a very odd bunker to the rear of #7 - presumably there for protection from #1 tee?

Mat - Please do post your pix when they become available.

Ciao   

Nick Campanelli

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2011, 09:21:24 AM »
Aerial  |  2011
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 09:23:57 AM by Nick Campanelli »

Travis Dewire

Re: Talk to me About Whitinsville New
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2011, 10:07:32 AM »
My uncle just moved to Northbridge, the town Whittinsville is in. Im trying to convince him to join because there is no wait. He grew up playing Brae Burn, so I don't think he would be too happy with spending his retirement golf at Shinning Rock, built sometime in the last 4-5 years (i believe)

Whittinsville also has a large contingent of good golfers (5 and under
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 12:55:29 PM by Travis Dewire »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back