News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Sweeney

Georgetown Prep Golf Course
« on: December 19, 2010, 11:50:12 AM »
http://www.gprep.org/contentPage.aspx?pageId=52142&sectionId=1258

In Washington for the weekend and I drove into Georgetown Prep. Does anyone have any idea how much it cost to maintain this "almost 9 hole" course? Perhaps I would have a short game today if my high school had the same!!

PCCraig

Re: Georgetown Prep Golf Course
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 12:09:49 PM »
Going to a Jesuit High School has its perks... ;) :)
H.P.S.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 12:18:16 PM »
They must have reworked some of the holes to get back to nine. I was told about six or seven years ago they sold off some land and the course was down to five or six holes.

For any Georgetown Prep grads reading this: Go Gonzaga!

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 09:34:06 PM »
They must have reworked some of the holes to get back to nine. I was told about six or seven years ago they sold off some land and the course was down to five or six holes.

Bill,

It looked like some condos were built so that makes, sense. Here is the new configuration:

The course provides a near regulation length nine-hole facility via a three hole golf course loop with eight greens, creating nine holes of different lengths, strategy and looks. The new course adds a driving range and short game practice facilities, as well as a shorter six hole course for beginners. The driving range tee and landing area are shared with the golf course use, and are used at different times. There is adequate space between all greens, tees and landing areas and no conflicts or waiting necessary for those groups using the "long course" routing, which calls for looping the three hole routing three times. The distances from landing areas to the perimeter of the golf course property meet modern day safety standards for regulation length golf courses.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 10:03:31 PM »
Mike,

Isn't there any vacant land near 17th & Girard for you to donate a golf course? ;D
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Carl Nichols

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 10:33:34 PM »
Mike-
That description is consistent with what I've heard. Have several buddies who went to Prep, but have never been out there.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 06:13:00 AM »
Mike,

Isn't there any vacant land near 17th & Girard for you to donate a golf course? ;D

It is actually an interesting comparison to golf course urban history. St Joe's Prep and University both started in the city. The Prep stayed in North Philadelphia even after a fire destroyed the building in 1967. The University moved to its City Line location in Philadelphia in the Overbrook section which was suburban in that era. Georgetown Prep and University did the opposite where the Prep moved out and the University stayed.

When you move a golf course (See Overbrook GC for one instance in Philly) or a school from an urban location to a suburban/rural location, obviously you change the demographics as not everyone can afford/want to be bused or driven to school/golf in the burbs.

If I had been smart I would have bought a bunch of vacant buildings at 17th and Girard in my day. But trust me Steve, I would have sold it to the Jesuits, as they have more money than God!  If you ever want a list of the largest real estate company in the world, start with The Vatican (aka Catholic Church) and #2 is not even close. Lots of cemeteries just crying for a golf course out there.   :)

Bill_McBride

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back