News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

scott_wood

honors for one of our own....Tim Gavrich.....
« on: October 12, 2010, 09:12:10 AM »
it's good to see "youth' active in our group....and as an alum , and thinking Tim might be reticent, I thought I'd share the follwoing PR release....

FOREST, Va. – The Old Dominion Athletic Conference announced its Players of the Week for the week ending Oct. 10 on Monday afternoon and Washington and Lee had two athletes selected.

Senior Tim Gavrich (Avon, Conn./Westminster) was tabbed the ODAC Golfer of the Week, while first-year M.A. Boles (Houston, Texas/St. John's) was selected as the ODAC Volleyball Player of the Week.

Gavrich earned his honor after earning medalist honors at the Virginia Intercollegiate Tournament held at the Stoney Creek Golf Club at the Wintergreen Resort over the weekend.  Gavrich carded rounds of 70 on Saturday and 70 on Sunday to finish the event with a four-under par score of 140.  His score was four strokes better than the second-place competitor and helped lead the Generals to a third place finish out of nine teams.

For the year, Gavrich has played a total of six rounds and he leads the team with a 73.8 scoring average.

Boles received her player of the week citation after helping lead the Generals to a 3-2 week.  She averaged 11.0 kills, 2.2 service aces and 8.6 digs per match as W&L fell to sixth-ranked Christopher Newport (3-0) and 10th-ranked Wisconsin-Oshkosh (3-2) and defeated Sweet Briar (3-0), Haverford (3-1) and Virginia Wesleyan (3-0).

Boles totaled 11 kills and five service aces against Sweet Briar and closed out the weekend with 14 kills, 13 digs and three blocks against Wisconsin-Oshkosh, and 15 kills and four digs against Virginia Wesleyan.

On the season, Boles leads the team with 240 kills and 35 service aces.  She also has 209 digs and 24 blocks.

The W&L golf team returns to action on Oct. 25-26 as it competes in the Guilford/Tom O'Briant Invitational held at the Cardinal Golf and Country Club in Greensboro, N.C. The volleyball team hits the court again on Wednesday as it travels to Roanoke College for a 6:30 pm contest.

CONGRATS TIM!!

PCCraig

Re: honors for one of our own....Tim Gavrich.....
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 09:20:14 AM »
Congrats Tim!
H.P.S.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 11:20:05 AM »
Way to go Tim! Do you distract your opponents with boring commentary on the course design as you play it? ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tom Dunne

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 11:20:46 AM »
Nice going, Tim!

BCrosby

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 11:29:57 AM »
Great playing Tim. Especially now that you no longer need to carry that Gibson guy. ;)

Bob

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 03:25:22 PM »
Good going, Tim, and well played!

WW

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 03:44:10 PM »
Stuff Tim. Let's see photos of M.A.!!!
 ;D
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Jamey Bryan

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 10:56:50 PM »
Congratulations, Tim.  Almost as impressive, I went to a Midlands area combined W&L and UVa alumni party this evening, and a couple of almost cute W&L female alumni thought they knew Tim (personally, I can't get used to W&L having female alumni).  Anyway, Tim seems to be playing pretty good golf and getting around.....

Jamey

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 12:20:39 AM »
Thanks for the good wishes from everyone!  It was nice to finally put together a solid 36 holes for the Generals.  The goal now is to prove it wasn't a fluke, so the pressure's on to play well in our next tournament which, contrary to what the article says, is this coming weekend in Lexington, KY at the Big Blue course at the University Club of Kentucky.  The tournament is hosted by Transylvania University and should be good fun and good competition.

Garland--

My opponents got off pretty easy.  The course we played, though nice enough, was not the most architectural-merit-worthy 18 holes in the world.  Rees Jones, you know...

Jamey--

I'm curious to know which alums you spoke to who knew my name.  I hope they weren't too unruly and that they didn't show the UVA crowd up with their undoubtedly prodigious partying skills!

Cheers.

--Tim
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 12:22:29 AM by Tim Gavrich »
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 02:27:28 AM »
Tim,

Play them one shot at at time. You'll do fine.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

scott_wood

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 01:52:46 PM »
"(personally, I can't get used to W&L having female alumni)"....... 

SHOWING YOUR AGE A BIT, ME THINKS......

IT'S BEEN 25 YEARS+ SINCE THE "BETTER DEAD THAN COED" BUMPER STICKERS......
 ;)

Jason Topp

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 03:16:19 PM »
Congratulations Tim!

Jamey Bryan

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 08:07:44 PM »
Tim....

I'm afraid I can't remember the young cuties full names, I think one was Sarah something and the other was Kimberly something.  They were both going to USC Law School, and were both smart and attractive.  They did seem to be attracted to the Charlottesville contingent, being surprised that men could consume intoxicating beverages (in some quantity) and remain fairly coherent and sophisticated, not to mention vertical and not drooling on any attractive females who might be in the vicinity.  Apparently they hadn't experienced any of these phenomena in Lexington!

Scott....

You're correct, I am showing my age.  However, it's been a lot fewer years that W&L has admitted women.  An old buddy (my age) who's a W&L alum admitted he had mixed emotions about taking his daughter for her pre-application visit.....   There was something about going to school in an area with eight great girls schools nearby.....

Cheers!!!

Jamey

Ed Oden

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 12:57:02 AM »
Congratulations Tim, well done!

Jamey, I can confirm that it was 25 years ago that W&L went coed.  Sadly, I was in the law school at the time.  Seems like yesterday...only it wasn't.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back