News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Wagner

Erin Hills - Updated Website
« on: April 05, 2012, 06:25:50 PM »
Thought I'd post their updated website - they continue to make significant improvements to the golf course and the vibe around the place.  If you haven't been there, it's really special - especially if you spend a night or two.

I think the updated hole descriptions are quite well done.....by someone pretty closely related to GCA ;)

Question:  Do you visit a course website before going and does an in depth description of each hole help you out?  Would you rather have more or less?

www.erinhills.com

Phil McDade

Re: Erin Hills - Updated Website
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 06:36:46 PM »
Mike:

Nice update; a few questions on the course:

-- Is the right fairway bunker on #5 going to be incorporated into the fairway? Davis seemed to hint at the US Am that that fairway would be widened to the right, with that bunker returning to its original role as something of a centerline bunker. But maybe that's not the case.

-- Any thoughts on using the left-most tee on #16, so the flag and green are partially hidden? I really liked the look of that hole with the partially hidden green/flag with a tee shot angled in from the left.

-- Davis seemed to suggest a teeing area much farther left of what now exists on #17, to create an angled approach into that fairway. Is that going to be the case?

Hosting any tournaments this year? If so, I may try to get out there.

Good luck with your continued stewardship of the course.

Mike Wagner

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 07:00:08 PM »
Phil,

I'm not sure about any of your questions, but I can find out - I don't work out there any longer.  I love the place....not something I'd like to play every day, but it has a unique purpose.

John Morrissett

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 04:40:22 PM »
Mike -

Thanks for the mention.  It was fun to work on the Erin Hills website over the winter to expand it to provide more of what the GCA-type visitor wants to see - lots and lots of pictures, a detailed hole-by-hole section, a GCA-style course overview, and a regular column by our superintendent.  Look for interesting and fun posts on Facebook and Twitter during the golf season.  Enough for the shameless plug - just make sure you return for a few rounds this year!

Phil -

All good questions - you know the course well!  While I won't speak for the USGA, I will say that your first and third items (the fairway lines on the 15th and a possible new back tee on the 17th) are on the agenda for Mike Davis's trip here this summer.

With 16, I agree that is a cool look - it reminds me of the line about the 13th at Crooked Stick (when the hole is cut left) being a dog-leg par 3.  That tee is a nice option to have, and we need to see how often to use it.

As for competitions in 2012, the year will be a bit of a breather after last year's U.S. Amateur.  Before the course opens, we will host the Lake Country Charity Invitational, a high school event for 36 teams that raises money for the MACC Fund.  In early June we will host a qualifier for the U.S. Amateur Public Links.

Please let me know if you come out to Erin Hills this season.  It would be nice to catch up with you.

John

Phil McDade

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 04:45:36 PM »
John:

Thanks; welcome to the board. Surprised you were able to get access to this place. ;)

I may wander out for the high school tournament (and good for you folks for opening the course to high schoolers -- I'm always impressed with courses that provide opportunities for high school kids to play on a course they might not otherwise see.)

Howard Riefs

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 04:50:34 PM »
John,

"Welcome!" Enjoyed your recent Q&A on GolfWisconsin.com. For the benefit of the board...

http://www.golfwisconsin.com/articles/article.cfm?ID=1449
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 05:07:35 PM »
Mike,

I believe the website changes, overall, are positive. What does surprise me, given it is a walking-only course, and they at least somewhat suggest taking a caddie... beyond listing the caddie rates, the dearth of anything about the caddie program, or even pictures of them, save in US. Am shots. Are they still in the white suits? If they are, then I TOTALLY understand why they wouldn't show that...it's hard on the eye and doesn't fit.

There has been a PILE of cash plowed into the multiple iterations of EH, hopefully they'll eventually arrive at a presentation that can actually appeal to daily play. This will be essential if they are ever to turn a profit beyond the big one week show.

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 08:34:29 PM »
Is the restriction on pull/push carts meant to protect the course in some fashion?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back