News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robert Thompson

Pittsburgh and area golf -- a question
« on: August 23, 2010, 07:26:07 PM »
Guys -- I'm heading down to Pittsburgh in early October with Ian Andrew to play a specific course (you can guess which one), but have the afternoon previous free. What is, Oakmont aside, the best to see? Fox Chapel was unavailable. What about Pittsburgh Field Club?

We also wondered about Squaw Creek in Youngston, Ohio (as it is on the way) or anything between Buffalo and Pittsburgh that would be worth seeking out for a late afternoon round. Public or private would work.

Suggest away and thanks.
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

David Lott

Re: Pittsburgh and area golf -- a question
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 07:32:19 PM »
"Fox Chapel was unavailable."

Good to see some things don't change.

Field Club is a good course--Fox Chapel with cliffs, someone once said.
David Lott

JohnV

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 07:34:16 PM »
If you limit yourself to the 30+ miles of Pittsburgh, Allegheny is the best after Oakmont and Fox Chapel in my opinion.  Field Club is definitely nice.  Others good ones include Longue Vue, Edgewood, Sewickly Heights, and St. Clair.  All of these are private.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 08:32:05 PM »
How close is Sunnehanna?

Robert Thompson

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 08:49:27 PM »
Phil: My host at Oakmont is a member --but it is too far from Toronto to get there and play. That's why we were thinking of something along the way from Buffalo to Pittsburgh.

How close is Sunnehanna?

David Lott

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 09:05:34 PM »
Take another day, play Latrobe. It's a nice course, not a great course, but, you know, the Arnie thing.
David Lott

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 10:09:31 PM »
Kahkwa in Erie, PA?

Wanakah in Hamburg, NY?

Crag Burn in East Aurora, NY?

New Castle CC in PA?  (http://www.newcastlecc.org/)
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

ed_getka

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 10:09:39 PM »
If you limit yourself to the 30+ miles of Pittsburgh, Allegheny is the best after Oakmont and Fox Chapel in my opinion.  Field Club is definitely nice.  Others good ones include Longue Vue, Edgewood, Sewickly Heights, and St. Clair.  All of these are private.
   Take John's advice and go up to see Allegheny. Mark Chalfant and I went up there one afternoon when the Women's Open was a rainout and it was well worth it. I didn't see it, but Mark was very impressed by his look around at Longue Vue.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 10:10:11 PM »
Guys -- I'm heading down to Pittsburgh in early October with Ian Andrew to play a specific course (you can guess which one), but have the afternoon previous free. What is, Oakmont aside, the best to see? Fox Chapel was unavailable. What about Pittsburgh Field Club?

We also wondered about Squaw Creek in Youngston, Ohio (as it is on the way) or anything between Buffalo and Pittsburgh that would be worth seeking out for a late afternoon round. Public or private would work.

Suggest away and thanks.

I thouroughly enjoyed Squaw Creek GC.  I felt many of the greens were still Thompson.  Course had a solid layout with very good greens.  If you are going to be in the area, it is worth the play.

Chris

Robert Thompson

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 09:38:18 AM »
Ron: Thanks for the suggestions.

Phil: I think Sunnehanna is too far south -- we couldn't get there in time, which is why I was hoping we might find something between Buffalo and Pittsburgh...

Gary Slatter

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 09:54:03 AM »
Kahkwa in Erie is good, similar to Scarboro.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

George Pazin

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 10:18:55 AM »
Sunnehanna is more east than south, but it's a good 1 1/2-2 hours away. Youngstown isn't really on the way, it's a good hour+ west.

Not much public worth seeking out - do not play Olde Stonewall or I'll never talk to you and Ian again. :)

I believe Loeffler designed some courses north of the Burgh - Highland CC and maybe Shannopin - don't know how much of his work is left.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Robert Thompson

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 11:06:17 AM »
Thanks George. I've written to the GM at Squaw Creek to find out if there is any Thompson left, as Chris indicates it might be worth checking out.

Sunnehanna is more east than south, but it's a good 1 1/2-2 hours away. Youngstown isn't really on the way, it's a good hour+ west.

Not much public worth seeking out - do not play Olde Stonewall or I'll never talk to you and Ian again. :)

I believe Loeffler designed some courses north of the Burgh - Highland CC and maybe Shannopin - don't know how much of his work is left.

Michael Huber

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 11:09:29 AM »

Youngstown is only about a half hour on I-80 from Mercer so it isn't too too far out of the way.  Either way, its more convenient than going to Johnstown to play Sunnehanna. 

George Pazin

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 11:28:49 AM »
Youngstown is only about a half hour on I-80 from Mercer so it isn't too too far out of the way.  Either way, its more convenient than going to Johnstown to play Sunnehanna. 

No arguments there! You must drive faster than I. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 12:31:03 PM »
if you enter the USA at the Lewiston-Queenston bridge, as you cross Grand Island, honk when you reach the south bridge.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2010, 12:39:09 PM »
Robert,

Why don't you just see if you can tee it up with George at his home course?
What could be better than a round with the guru of Pittsburgh on gca.com?
There probably would be a free commemorative tee shirt in the deal. ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2010, 01:04:37 PM »
Newcastle CC - Tillinghast 50 miles north of Pgh.  Greens are meant to be terrific

Joe Bausch

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2010, 01:11:10 PM »
Robert,

Why don't you just see if you can tee it up with George at his home course?
What could be better than a round with the guru of Pittsburgh on gca.com?
There probably would be a free commemorative tee shirt in the deal. ;)

George keeps quiet his latest plan for a golf course in the area.  It will run alongside a big ski slope and consist of 9 drop shot par 3's.  For 3 bucks you can take the ski-lift back up (and play it again).

;)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

George Pazin

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 01:19:04 PM »
Season passes available!

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2010, 01:31:40 PM »
How's Tom's Run at Chestnut Ridge?  Read about it in one of the golf magazines... any thoughts on this as a public option around the 'Burgh?

Jason McNamara

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2010, 02:02:36 PM »
Some previous threads, fwiw:
(including a bit of ancient history with a three-digit thread number!)

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,681.0/
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,29048.0/
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,36815.0/

Wayne, I think CR has gotten good (not great reviews) here.  Though for Robert, it's on the "wrong" side of Pittsburgh (out toward Sunnehanna).

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back