News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Huckaby

Re: Rock Creek's greens
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2010, 01:00:58 PM »
I guess I need my head examined.

Basing it only on pictures and descriptions, they look to be very much in the same league to me.

I did not write any of this to get a rise out of anyone.  I see three great new golf courses, all of which I'd like to see, none of which I will be able to most likely, but maybe one I can beg for.  I guess that's enough to be in the same league, for me anyway.

TH

Bill_McBride

« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2010, 01:05:46 PM »
Tom, I have thoroughly reviewed the Wolf Point thread and all the pictures.

And, yes, I am aware that you probably said what you said just to get a rise out of me. 

I don't care...I'm taking the bait anyway, knowingly and consciously:

Wolf Point looks like a wonderful golf course and someplace it would be very difficult not to have a great time and a great round...

But, if you think that's even in the same league as Rock Creek, you need you head examined - pronto!

Proving once again that you cannot judge a course or its greens from photos.  There are some incredible and bizarrely fun greens at Wolf Point.  And huge too.

You can make a statement like "if you think that's even in the same league as Rock Creek, you need you head examined " only if you've played them both.

How do you make that green ink thingy work?

JESII

« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2010, 01:29:30 PM »
You've got to pay Mucci a $5 licensing fee first, then he releases access...

Mat Dunmyer

« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2010, 10:29:27 AM »
Interesting reading all of the opinions here. As the person who spent 2 years growing the course in and being on those greens every day and setting it up, as Tom said, running them at 10-10.5 was plenty fast given the countours. At that speed they 'feel' like they are running 11-11.5. I think within this business, people get caught up in what the stimp reading numbers are without taking into consideration what the countours are. We went out of our way on a daily basis using a laser slope reader keeping all pin positions on slopes less than 2.5% and doing stimp readings in the morning and afternoons to make sure things werent getting out of control. Speed is a relative thing to the countours. People read too much into the numbers and sometimes let their ego's get into the way of playability.

Mat

Michael Robin

« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2010, 11:38:43 AM »
Hey Mat, I was up there in Sept of '08 and you had that place fast, firm, difficult and perfect! Your green speed was just right. Anymore and it would have been scary. I was really blown away that you could have a golf course in it's first season in that pristine condition. We all were.

Where are you now?

DMoriarty

« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2010, 12:43:44 PM »
I too was there in 2008 and second Michael's comments.   The course was in terrific condition, especially when one considers that there had been snow on the ground in June. 

In this age of instant gratification a talented grow-in superindent is an underappreciated but essential cog in the gca process.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Mat Dunmyer

« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2010, 01:06:10 PM »
Hey Mat, I was up there in Sept of '08 and you had that place fast, firm, difficult and perfect! Your green speed was just right. Anymore and it would have been scary. I was really blown away that you could have a golf course in it's first season in that pristine condition. We all were.

Where are you now?

Michael:

Thank you for the kind words- it was fun maintaing a course like that and the uniqueness of everything involved.

I'm now in the Sacramento Valley at Valley Hi Country Club. The place needs alot of work, but the membership is investing into the infastructure of the course to make it better (new pump station and irrigation heads and wiring). Hopefully we will be doing a bunker project next year so we can actually have some hazards out here.

Mat

Jed Peters

« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2010, 02:08:57 PM »

Where are you now?

Michael:

Thank you for the kind words- it was fun maintaing a course like that and the uniqueness of everything involved.

I'm now in the Sacramento Valley at Valley Hi Country Club. The place needs alot of work, but the membership is investing into the infastructure of the course to make it better (new pump station and irrigation heads and wiring). Hopefully we will be doing a bunker project next year so we can actually have some hazards out here.

Mat

Mat:

Check your PMs.

I'm a solid driver, PW to valley hi right now.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back