News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Martin Toal

Another "Top courses" listing
« on: June 13, 2010, 06:09:20 AM »
http://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/Golf/courses/Left-Hand-Navigation/Top-100-courses-in-the-world-2010/

Today's Golfer is a relatively young magazine in the UK and is part of the same stable as Golf World UK.

Jud_T

Re: Another "Top courses" listing
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 07:41:14 AM »
very schizophrenic, don't you think?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Gary Slatter

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 07:47:28 AM »
I've always enjoyed their lists, worldly mix of great golf experiences!  I don't agree with all of their choices but all of them are good fun, beats watching soccer football ! 
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 08:37:56 AM »
From the brief article with the rankings:

"It can safely be said that the panel we assembled in order to put together this listing was the biggest and most geographically spread panel which has ever been amassed to judge the merits of golf courses. They included the great and the good from all corners of the planet, all experts in their own fields, taken from a diverse cross-section in the game. The panel were asked to consider design, conditioning, history, memorability and reputation.

It is worth mentioning that Golf World produces the most respected list of the Top 100 Courses in Great Britain & Ireland (November 2008), plus the Top 100 in Continental Europe (November 2009). For the purposes of this list, the order of these rankings was not changed."

They don't say who the panel really is, but I'm glad they consider history and reputation in making their selections!

Also, the latter paragraph shows how they come up with somewhat skewed results ... they decided they had to keep the courses in the same order as their own  European rankings, which have always seemed quite strange to me because they are so different than how outside observers rank the best European courses.

Jud_T

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 08:43:49 AM »
Reputation as a criteria is worse than resistance to scoring.  You may as well do a list and include "under the radar"...Hitler had a good reputation for a while in certain circles.... :-\
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ron Csigo

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 09:00:40 AM »
It's an eccentric list for sure.
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back