News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Hetzel

The 3 hole "Mom and Pop" course
« on: May 21, 2010, 02:32:08 PM »
Interesting article about a 3 hole course with 9 sets of tees. , and only a few short miles from my house. I want to say that I read in the local paper that the greens were astroturf. $400K is a lot jack for such a small little course. I'll stop by and play it with my 4 year old next week! I think it is a great way to get younger kids into the game. My son's attention span surely doesn't last 9 holes, even on a par 3 course.

I wonder what type of architect was involved in this project....

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100521/BIZ01/5210363/Golf+course++3+holes++9+tees

Here is a link to their website:

http://mulberrygolfclub.com/

Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

J Sadowsky

Re: The 3 hole "Mom and Pop" course
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 02:39:27 PM »
I would love to have a place like that right by my house.  Especially if I could plop down like a couple hundred for an annual pass.  

I just saw that they charge by the hole.  Not sure I would do that - I think I would charge by the hour.  I know at Rock Creek Red you can play a full par 3 course for $9, so why would someone play a 3 hole pitch and putt at that rate?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 02:49:31 PM by Justin Sadowsky »

jonathan_becker

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 02:59:21 PM »
Rich,

Thanks for the photos.  The place looks pretty cool.

But what's the deal with the second hole?  Isn't that overhanging tree right in the way?

JLahrman

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 03:05:54 PM »
The mowing patters are distracting, the groomed flowers are gratuitous, and the whole place needs a chain saw.

Ha ha, this is about five miles from where I grew up, and it looks like if I bring a sand wedge I can play it next time I visit.  I love the 18-yard hole on the scorecard.  Probably lots of good wedge practice to be had at this place.  $400K does sound like a lot, but I love the idea.  Good to see somebody trying to what many have advocated would be good for the game, hopefully the place succeeds.

Jason Topp

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 03:54:07 PM »
This made me remember a nine hole par three course on condo land near where I grew up.  The course was largely unmaintained - the greens were probably mowef weekly at most and were essentially lawns.  The rest of the course was overgrown with brush and weeds.  There is no way one could even find the holes without a guide the first time around.  Nonetheless it was magical in a raw sort of way.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 08:52:40 PM »
Rich,

Thanks for the photos.  The place looks pretty cool.

But what's the deal with the second hole?  Isn't that overhanging tree right in the way?

That hole actually looks like a mini golf hole....I will take pics of the course next week. It is literally 5 minutes from my house, and I never even knew it existed.
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Michael Huber

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 12:11:42 AM »
that cat in the second picture better hope no one mistakes it for a really big white golf ball

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 02:55:33 AM »
Interesting article about a 3 hole course with 9 sets of tees. , and only a few short miles from my house. I want to say that I read in the local paper that the greens were astroturf. $400K is a lot jack for such a small little course. I'll stop by and play it with my 4 year old next week! I think it is a great way to get younger kids into the game. My son's attention span surely doesn't last 9 holes, even on a par 3 course.

I wonder what type of architect was involved in this project....

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100521/BIZ01/5210363/Golf+course++3+holes++9+tees

Here is a link to their website:

http://mulberrygolfclub.com/

an architect was involved?
...frank commentary....
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back