News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: GCA Pay it Forward: The Ballyneal Experiment
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2010, 05:59:47 PM »
I got a book called "101 Golf Courses" which I had never heard of but it is interesting so far. Sort of like a poor man's World Atlas (I have a couple of these) it has courses around the world (guess how many.) there are only 16 from the states, so it is focused on courses around the world. It shows the layout for every course featured, plenty of nice inclusions like names and a little background on 30 of The Old Course bunkers, and some courses I haven't necessarily seen featured in other books (every course appears to have at least two full pages.)

Some the course selection seems a bit off (perhaps focused on tournament golf for instance Valhalla and Torrey Pines are two of the limited US selections) but there are also some international ones I was glad to see (such as Barnbougle Dunes.)

I can provide a better review after I actually dig in.   

Tim

This isn't a bad little book, but I have a beef to pick with the author/publisher.  They used a photo of mine that wasn't authorized by me in their Pennard piece.  I did give them permission to use another photo, but they must have changed their minds.  Plus, they essentially nicked my writing from the Pennard - In My Opinion piece.  Personally, I think this is a bit off if they aren't going to credit me.  A final insult to injury was their mis-spelling of my name for the photo credit - Sean Arbie - heavy sigh.  Such is the life of an artiste!

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Shane Wright

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2010, 01:08:13 PM »
So, who got golf books from Santa this year?  Any recommendations for the master list above?

I received Planet Golf USA and World Atlas of Golf. Not from Santa but from my boss (via B&N gift card). I guess that makes all those 80-hour work weeks worth it!

Jim - I highly recommend Legendary Golf Links of Ireland.  It isn't cheap ($90) but well worth it and probably my favorite golf book I own.

Rich Brittingham

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2010, 04:51:00 PM »
I'll be using the link tonight for some purchases.  Great idea.

Jud_T

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2010, 04:53:37 PM »
Jim,

Dumb question.  Does this only work for golf books? What if I go through the link and then click over to music and buy some CD's?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Rich Brittingham

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2010, 04:54:47 PM »
Jim,

Dumb question.  Does this only work for golf books? What if I go through the link and then click over to music and buy some CD's?

It should work

Tim Bert

« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2010, 11:59:49 PM »
It works for any and all purhases through Amazon as long as you start with his link.

Jud_T

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2010, 01:34:09 PM »
Just wanted to bump this thread back up for those who haven't seen it or have forgotten. 
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jim Colton

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2010, 02:21:09 PM »
A status update: to date there has been only around $75 generated through the GCA-specific link since the start of this thread.  But I committed to contributing my meager book royalties and I'll go ahead and contribute the associate revenue from my other ventures, wegoblogger31.com and golfblog100.com.  That brings the total up close to $600.  Hopefully, we can get it up to a number that can get someone out to Ballyneal this year, otherwise I'll roll it over until 2011.

A special shout out to my non-golfing older brother John, who does all his shopping via amazon prime and has probably contributed $200 to the total.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2010, 05:59:48 PM »
I got a book called "101 Golf Courses" which I had never heard of but it is interesting so far. Sort of like a poor man's World Atlas (I have a couple of these) it has courses around the world (guess how many.) there are only 16 from the states, so it is focused on courses around the world. It shows the layout for every course featured, plenty of nice inclusions like names and a little background on 30 of The Old Course bunkers, and some courses I haven't necessarily seen featured in other books (every course appears to have at least two full pages.)

Some the course selection seems a bit off (perhaps focused on tournament golf for instance Valhalla and Torrey Pines are two of the limited US selections) but there are also some international ones I was glad to see (such as Barnbougle Dunes.)

I can provide a better review after I actually dig in.   

Do you a hungry solicitor?   ;D
Tim

This isn't a bad little book, but I have a beef to pick with the author/publisher.  They used a photo of mine that wasn't authorized by me in their Pennard piece.  I did give them permission to use another photo, but they must have changed their minds.  Plus, they essentially nicked my writing from the Pennard - In My Opinion piece.  Personally, I think this is a bit off if they aren't going to credit me.  A final insult to injury was their mis-spelling of my name for the photo credit - Sean Arbie - heavy sigh.  Such is the life of an artiste!

Ciao 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back