News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Gavrich

I think I posted about this last year, but I couldn't find that thread.  So...

Coming off a 12th place finish at Jekyll Island this past weekend, the Washington & Lee Generals golf team heads to the marine base at Camp Lejeune for a tournament there this coming Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  It's a neat tournament format, where a retired Marine plays with each threesome the first two days (one round at the shorter Scarlet Course, one round at the Gold Course) in a sort of college-am deal.  The third day is left to the college teams to duke it out.

There will be a lot of good teams at the tournament, including top-ten Methodist U, Oglethorpe U, and Guilford College teams.  The Generals look to make some waves as April and conference tournaments approach.

If you are in the area and have time this weekend to watch some great golf, come out and have a look at the tournament at Camp Lejeune.

Cheers.

--Tim Gavrich
Senior Writer, GolfPass

John Moore II

This is a very good tournament. Do they still field 2 full teams of active or retired Armed Service/Federal employees? They did that several years ago, I was able to play on one of the teams but we were mostly non-competitive with the good teams in the field. Though the year after I qualified, we had a guy who was still in high school (his dad was a Brig. General) but ended up going to Duke on a golf scholarship; the Marine team was fairly competitive that year.

The tournament was originally designed to promote a better understanding of Marine life. Thats why they still have the big dinner at the Officer's Club and such. Great tournament.

Tim Gavrich

John--

They did field two Marine teams.  They supplied a few scores in the 70s, but ended up finishing near the back.  That banquet is pretty cool indeed.  I'd never really been on a military base much before playing in the tournament, and being around it for a few days was really cool; made me appreciate the work of those who defend us all the more.  Wonderful event; I'm excited to play it again.

To bring this on-topic, what do people think about the Gold course at Paradise Point?  I recall enjoying it.  Pretty wide off the tee; a second-shot golf course for sure.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Ed Oden

Tim, good luck to the Generals!  I wish I could make it but Camp Lejeune is a bit too far away for me.  Let me know if you guys come closer to Charlotte.  By the way, when are you going to do a photo review of Lexington CC?

Ed

Tim Gavrich

BUMP

We're heading to Camp Lejeune tomorrow afternoon.  Practice round Thursday, then tournament rounds Friday through Sunday.  The weather should be good and the golf should be interesting if anyone is in the vicinity of Jacksonville, NC.

Cheers.

--Tim
Senior Writer, GolfPass

John Moore II

I may try to make it over there after my half-marathon on Saturday. Typically the golf is very good at this event, they really attract the top talent from D-2 and D-3 golf programs.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back