News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brent Hutto

Crowborough Beacon
« on: March 18, 2010, 03:42:51 PM »
Well I going to post in this topic but was advised by the web site to start a new one instead. Go figure.

As part of my "June! London!" planning I wish to find a spot that has easy access to Gatwick Airport for my early-Sunday-morning flight home (less than an hour, let's say) and also easy train access to London which I hope to visit on the Saturday night (also less than an hour) while also offering an opportunity to play golf on the Saturday morning. On the map, Royal Tunbridge Wells seems to fit the bill admirably and very close by in the Crowborough Beacon course.

I'm undertaking an entreaty concerning Saturday-morning visitor access and presuming that goes favorably is there any reason not to pursue a round there? There is somewhat of a MacKenzie connection and from Philip's photos it strikes me as sort of a less-polished version of Walton Heath which I enjoyed immensely. What say ye all, is it a worthy place to spend my last half-day playing golf before returning home?

P.S. The green fee is quite reasonable and there are also many affordable B&B options up in Royal Tunbridge Wells. And according to Google maps and the National Rail site both Gatwick (by car) and for instance Waterloo station are within 45-50 minutes access. Ideal.

Mark Chaplin

Re: Crowborough Beacon
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 04:58:57 PM »
Brent - Crowborough is indeed a pleasant place to play and the Wells is a nice place to stay being only a 30 minute drive to LGW and 15 to Crowborough. I would suggest writing to the secretary explaining your position and desire to visit CBGC, if your lucky they may set you up with a member - it's always worth offering to buy the club historian lunch if they've time for a game!

The other course worth considering is the delightful Abercromby course at Knole Park in Sevenoaks, it's only 20 inutes from TW. Both are relatively unknown gems.
Cave Nil Vino

Brent Hutto

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 05:08:49 PM »
Mark,

Good call on Knole Park. Sevenoaks is actually a couple stops closer to London by train and a couple miles closer to Gatwick by car than Tunbridge Wells. Logistically that is clearly advantageous although golf-wise I'd probably have a slight preference for Crowborough. I think I'll contact one or the other and see how it goes.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 07:39:45 PM »
Mark (et al.), what about (EDIT, brain cramp) Tandridge as another back-up option?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 08:17:14 PM by Jason McNamara »

Tom Dunne

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 07:47:59 PM »
Yes, Crowborough is definitely worth your time, Brent. Also keep in mind Royal Ashdown Forest is only about 10-15 minutes down the road.

Scott Warren

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 08:33:53 PM »
Brent,

They advertise a "weekend AM" green fee on their website, so Saturday morning access may not be as difficult as it would seem

http://www.cbgc.co.uk/tariffs.aspx

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 12:40:12 PM »
All the suggestions made above are admirable. Perhaps Tandridge has an overabundance of trees. Crowborough is a lovely spot - the clubhouse enjoys fabulous views. The 2nd and 6th are the outstanding holes, but I think you'll enjoy the 5th, 9th, 13th and 16th which are full of character. I love the way the course is integrated into the locality - you cross roads, you meet people walking or riding horses and some of the country views are wonderful. It really makes you glad to be alive (as is true also of Royal Ashdown). Enjoy yourself!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 05:39:56 PM »
Until you get a picnicing family and the children using the sand pit to play in, it does occasionally happen at CBGC! 

Tandridge is best for lunch..... I'd take RAF or Wildernesse also in Sevenoaks before Tandridge. Wildernesse has one of kent's finest par fours the long downhill 9th and the 15th is a very good par 3. The course is always immaculate with very quick greens.
Cave Nil Vino

Brent Hutto

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 06:43:37 AM »
While having a weekend at the beach a little closer to home (Edisto Beach, SC) I exchanged some E-mails with the GM of Crowborough Beacon who says they have a club event scheduled for the Saturday in question. But he very much encouraged a visit on my arrival day (Tuesday) as the course is close by Gatwick and nearly on the route from the airport to Deal. So I'll most likely take him up on that.

After an overnight flight I'll welcome the chance for a shower, change of clothes, early lunch and a round of golf to clear the head and stretch the joints only 45 minutes drive from the terminal. Sounds like Crowborough Beacon would be a lovely first-day spot and the manager thinks he may be able to arrange for me to have a game with one of the locals, always an extra treat.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 08:44:44 AM »
Brent nice one, I would take up Crowborough with their offer.

I'd then suggest trying Knole Park for the Saturday or RAF but make sure if you try for RAF it's the Old course not the "hotel" course.
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back