News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brett_Morrissy

Re: A Champion for Bandon Trails
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2010, 08:27:11 AM »
Thanks Jason, by scoring do you mean putting, if the internal contours on both PD & BT are anything like StAndrews Beach, Barnbougle & Lost Farm, then the putting of the ball into the hole is certainly challenging with some amazing pin positions, but one I find great fun, particularly if you can get the ball into the right section.

So, in this case wouldn't it be better to begin with BandonD to 'ease' you way into it before tackling the others? :)
@theflatsticker

Kalen Braley

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2010, 10:02:39 AM »
Ted,

I've seen many threads on the courses at Bandon and the interesting thing about BT is that while just about everyone loves Pacific, and just about everyone thinks BD is the least of the 3 courses at the resort, the thoughts and feelings of most on BT seem to be split down the middle....in the they either "love it or hate it" category.

I've yet to play it, as I've only played PD and would love to get back to Bandon....but it just isn't in the budget atm.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2010, 10:20:18 AM »
The trails is the most artistic to me because it has not one jarring feature. Everything flows so naturally and epitomizes the principle of not telling the better golfer exactly where to hit their shot. Leaving it up to the individual golfer's awareness level and familiarity.

You have good taste, imo.

So do you.

I'm a big Trails fan - the landscape and its transition are sublime.

I can't help but wonder if part of the popularity of Bandon Dunes is its traditional return to the clubhouse at the 9th compared to the other courses.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Link Walsh

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2010, 01:07:13 PM »
Glad I'm not the only one who loves that 9th green setting.  The way that Tom and Jason described it is just perfect.  I love how the fairway flows seamlessly into the green.

After Old MacDonald opens up, and IF the Trails course sees less play, does anyone think the resort might change their stripes and allows carts on Bandon Trails?  It might be a good marketing idea.  Plus, going back out to play after 36 the day before can be kind of rough.  Being able to take a break and ride one day might bring in more play for the resort in general.  Curious as to everyone's thoughts.   

Michael Dugger

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2010, 01:37:45 PM »
Bandon and Pacific have the ocean to look at, but what is often lost in the shuffle is the wide variety offered at BT.

There is a distinct dunes feel to 1-2

The meadow holes 3-6 are the strength of the course in my opinion.  It's not just a walk in the forest, it's a coastal forest a la Spyglass.  And the bunkering is simply gorgeous, playing these holes is to think of Cypress Point and Pine Valley.

The treelined holes back in the property are what they are.  After spending a day or two playing BD and PD with the wind filling up my ear canal for 5 straight hours, I find myself appreciating and thankful for the quiet peacefulness of walking up the 9th fairway, for example.

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Jud_T

« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2010, 05:22:05 PM »
Brett,

One point-the ocean courses can get VERY windy in the afternoon.  Best to get out early in the day if possible on BD and PD and save OM and BT for the afternoon....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2010, 06:21:00 PM »
First of all, I don't dislike the hole or even think that it is a bad hole.  The green complex is awesome and demands a very precise approach.  For a player with length, the left bunker can be easily avoided by hitting a hot running hook and then the green becomes very easily reached.  There is quite a bit of room left of the bunker all the way to the edge of the swale/canyon.  If this area was made into fairway and a bunker placed in a postion that would neutralize a hot hook drive, then this hole would become an incredible risk/reward hole.

David Botimer

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2010, 06:47:21 PM »
Brett
[/quote]

Brett:

I do not think it matters much.  I played Pacific the first day and Trails the 2nd.  Trails was magic even after the ocean. 

Even though it gets less play, the tee sheet was pretty full at Trails when I was there so I am not sure "uncrowded" will be a reasonable expectation.

The one thing I would recommend is playing Bandon Dunes after the other two.  The greens at Bandon Dunes are less complex than at the other two courses.  I found it much easier to post a good score there - which I really enjoyed after scoring pretty poorly at the other two courses.
[/quote]

This topic has been addressed in previous threads during which I suggested playing them in the order built;  Bandon Dunes, Pacific Dunes, Bandon Trails and Old MacDonald.  One of several advantages to this is re-cutting your teeth on the complexity of links golf with the easiest track first.  Bandon is 3-5 shots easier than the others and preparing for the challenge of them is helpful.  As for Trails, I'd make it the first round of the day (if playing 36), as the closing stretch will be both a workout (think UPHILL into the wind on 3 of the final 4 holes) and a golf test!!  Don't be fooled by their location; Trails and Old Mac can be just as windy as the other two.

Thomas McQuillan

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2010, 07:26:24 PM »
the bandon trails profile in the courses by country section wont work?  ??? ???

Adam Clayman

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2010, 08:13:34 PM »
On my one trip to Bandon, the wind was almost non-existent. Who wants to play golf along a coast without wind?
Not me.

Truthfully I was disappointed the weather was so frick'in perfect.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2010, 09:18:36 PM »
David:
thanks, I had read you recent post suggestion of playing them in order - makes a lot of sense, and helps to get into the Bandon groove as Mr Keiser did.

(I couldn't imagine going to Barnbougle Dunes and playing Lost Farm first - it just doesn't seem right :)

Adam:
Agree, it is a bit of be careful what you wish for, but I do prefer my links and coastal golf with a bit of breeze, and even stiff breeze is fine, prefer it without the precipitation though!

Can't wait
@theflatsticker

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2010, 12:54:15 AM »
Trails is a very interestng course. I am looking forward to seeing it again in May. I find it has a world class set of par 3's. Yet the disconnect when you take the cart up the hill and a few holes before that seem to bring it back toward Bandon Dunes which is still a big step below Pacific Dunes. I would love Mac to challenge Pac Dunes for the supreme course for that would give the resort 2 or the worlds best which is a tall order which even St Andrews cannot say. The eastern end of Long Island, Melborne and Pebble Beach are the only places on earth in that club.

Jud_T

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2010, 08:10:45 AM »
I agree that a nice breeze, even a stiff one is fun for links golf.  But it can get get almost unplayably windy along the coast, hence my recommendation. 
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jim Adkisson

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2010, 08:40:22 AM »

After Old MacDonald opens up, and IF the Trails course sees less play, does anyone think the resort might change their stripes and allows carts on Bandon Trails?  It might be a good marketing idea.  Plus, going back out to play after 36 the day before can be kind of rough.  Being able to take a break and ride one day might bring in more play for the resort in general.  Curious as to everyone's thoughts.   

Please NO!  Keep the cigar-chomping fat arsed cartballers away from my beloved Bandon Dunes Golf Resort!

Jud_T

« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2010, 08:45:51 AM »
I'd say there's a zero chance of that happening....

Adam Clayman

« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2010, 11:22:29 AM »

Adam:
Agree, it is a bit of be careful what you wish for, but I do prefer my links and coastal golf with a bit of breeze, and even stiff breeze is fine, prefer it without the precipitation though!

Can't wait

Brett, I'm of the opinion that a sportsman can't dial up the correct amount of wind and precip. One must just deal with whatever they are given. As an example, when I was a member of the Pacific Grove Men's club, we had a tourney on a Sunday in February at the ame time they were playing the final round of the AT&T down the street. On the back nine there, which is completely exposed to the elements along the coast, we were hit with a freezing cold squall as we approached the 16th green. The pros down the street had to give up and they delayed the finish of their tournament. But not us regular folk, and for the ones who did finish our tournament, each and every one of them walked into the clubhouse with an ear to ear grin having not only survived the harsh elements, but also because the golf shots required to finish were so much fun. I can remember hitting a full 4 iron from 120 yards, catching it flush, and hving it be the perfect club for the shot at hand.

To me, there's no greater satisfaction than over coming the trials and tribulations thrown at you by mother nature. It beats te hand of man, every time! GCAwise, of course.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Link Walsh

« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2010, 12:05:27 PM »

I'm not saying I agree with the idea.  I really did like the course the two times I played it (except for 14), and I had no problem with 18 tee.  Maybe I don't hit it long enough to worry about that one...

I'm just wondering if they will be able to keep riding that wave of popularity higher and higher to financially support 4 courses.  I mean, are there enough people out there in this economy that are willing to travel to the middle of nowhere to walk when they play golf?  What will happen to the level of play at the Trails once Old MacDonald opens up?  Of course, the greens fees and lodging rates keep going up and up, so I don't think anything will change either.  But sometimes the folks in marketing and accounting can have a lot of power.  I wonder how many of the players now either start or end their trip (or take a break in the middle) and play that course up the road Bandon Crossings just so they can ride one day and save their strength.  I guess the real question is "Will Bandon Dunes ever choose to run their resort like a business rather than a golf destination?  Thanks for the input.  Aren't there some people on this board that work out there?  I'd be curious what they say. 

Matt MacIver

« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2010, 09:38:29 PM »
I guess the real question is "Will Bandon Dunes ever choose to run their resort like a business rather than a golf destination?   

With zero factual information, I would hazard a guess that Bandon Dunes does generate a net profit, and an fine one at that, because it is not only a golf destination but in fact THE golf destination for those that want to enjoy golf "as it was meant to be".  Is that clever marketing, or does BD actually deliver the goods?  I'm just back from a week at Disney, the ulitmate in marketing and message, and I believe that BD practices what is preaches - and likely does so profitably, just like Mickey. 

PS - without carts.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back