News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Duncan Betts

Jacks Point Golf Club, NZ
« on: February 10, 2010, 11:21:20 PM »
I'm heading off on a cricket tour to NZ shortly and saw Jacks Point Golf Club as a stop when we are in Queenstown.

Has anyone heard of it, been there?  Who designed it?

Looks ok to me

Brad Fleischer

Re: Jacks Point Golf Club, NZ
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 12:19:19 AM »
Darby Partners are listed as the designers .

Duncan Betts

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 12:24:46 AM »
nice backdrop

this doesn't bode well though

Ash Towe

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 01:20:31 PM »
Duncan,

The first photo in your second post appears to be Terrace Downs not Jacks Point.

I have played Jacks Point and it has some good holes but there are others which are not so good.  17 and 18 look like they have been added on to make 18.  However the setting is unbeliveable and it is well worth a visit.

If you have the time I would recommend Arrowtown.  It is a different type of course i.e. a local club rather than the resort type but well worth a look and a heap of fun.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 08:21:33 PM »
Jack's Point was not yet there when we were working in New Zealand.  It's a shame, since Julian Robertson was looking for a site down that way.

I would second Ash's recommendation of Arrowtown.  I actually rode right through the golf course while heading to look at a site with Julian, and I wish I could have stopped the car and walked around it.  It's a cool site with lots of rock outcroppings.  There was a thread about it a couple of years ago.

Grant Saunders

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 03:25:47 AM »
Duncan

Jacks Point has some good stuff going on and is worth a game if you have the time. As Ash has said, there are a few weaker holes but the setting is amazing. I did have a complete photo tour of the course on here but for some reason my photos have disappeared. I can post some for you if you would like.

As Ash and Tom have also suggested, Arrowtown should be a definite play while you are in the area. Check out the following thread:

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,34305.0/

I am in Queenstown every second weekend at the moment and if you are looking for playing partners let me know.

Grant

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 07:01:29 PM »
Duncan,

I was in Queenstown last week and played Arrowtown - and drove round Jack's Point playing a few shots as we went.
Arrowtown is a must play - there is golf there you won't see anywhere else in the world and the 2nd,3rd,4th,5th and 6th holes are an amazing stretch through the rocks and valleys.
Jack's Point is spectacular - probably better views than Kidnappers if that is possible - but the golf isn't as good.It is well worth a game though.

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 07:57:27 PM »
Clayts,

I am surprised you didn't recommend Duncan stop at Millbrook for a few holes as well? You just came 2nd in the Handa NZ Seniors Masters there yesterday! (I know, just caused you played well doesn't mean it's any good- but you were staying at the designers house!!!)

Grant,

You could have suggested Millbrook too – you did half the shaping work out there!

Tom,
Any chance Mr Robertson will do something more in NZ? Maybe in the Otago Region? (PS- Good luck with Madrid with M.C. It sounds great).

Duncan,
I liked Jacks Point, and at NZ$75 for the green fee it is great value. I'd say, come to QT, and play Arrowtown, JP and Millbrook.

scott

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 08:23:30 PM »
Scott,

You are right about Millbrook.
I really enjoyed the thought the back nine required and it is a really fun 9 holes of golf. 3,4,5, and 6 especially is a really gold run of golf.
17 was interesting yesterday and it seemed I was the only one to take a fly at it over the water. I guess I knew what was possible from your effort the day before - but my caddy wanted me to go and told me it was only 220 yards over when he knew it was closer to 240. I would not have gone if I had known that!
The problem with having the tee forward is that if you don't take a driver, the lay-up is quite short - the guys I played with hit 6 irons.
If the tee goes back no one of our length goes  over but it is a better tee shot with a 3 or 4 iron.
The new nine is an interesting contrast with the rest of the course - and a commentary on how a new and younger group of designers are looking at things differently and building holes that are contracting from those who came before.
I think that of you guys get the other nine right - no matter which one it is - there will be a really good 18 there.
I did like the 4th hole on the other nine and the 3rd was obviously much better with the extra fairway on the right.A better green would do wonders there.
9 too could be a fantastic looking hole.

Duncan Betts

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 06:16:29 PM »
Thanks everyone, however my golfing schedule is somewhat restrained by the actual cricket tour!

Andrew Thomson immediately suggested Arrowtown to me when this thread was posted, but told me to keep it a secret, seems like its no secret at all!  However, I'd need to be left out of the side for our game in Queenstown to manage a game there.

We're also visiting Kauri Cliffs, Paraparaumu Beach, Royal Wellington and a few others on the trip so it should be fun for the cricketers that also enjoy their golf.  I've played most of the North Island courses, but Royal Wellington will be a new one for me - looks to be a nice sandy site?

Mike Kosak

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 08:07:54 PM »
Thanks for the good infor about NZ golf.  My wife and I leave tomorrow for Auckland; playing Formosa, Wairakei, Kinloch and Cape Kidnappers on the North Island and then play 2 rounds each at Jacks Point and Millbrook.  The rounds at Jacks Point and Millbrook are part of a tournament called the Pacifica Friendship Cup with teams from NZ, Australia, England and the US.  Excited much?  YES!!!

Ash Towe

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 08:36:05 PM »
Mike,

You are playing on some of the best courses in NZ.  I hope the condition of Formosa is upto standard for you.  It will be interesting to see your take on Kinloch.  Make sure you pick the right tees.

The weather is great at present.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 03:56:23 AM »
Mike,

If you are going that far you must see Arrowtown. It is just down the road from Millbrook on the road to Jack's Point - and don't do what I did on the way to Jack's and judge Arrowtown from the road. There are holes there you won't believe - and won't play anywhere in the world.
Not sure why you are missing Titirangi when you are in Auckland.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back