News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chuck Brown

ANGC - Winter 2010
« on: February 21, 2010, 10:01:56 PM »
Here's an interesting picture that one wouldn't often see of the most-photographed corner in all of golf.  I wish I could credit the photographer -- I don't know who it is.  The photo is watermarked, with all due credit to that site, where there were more photos if you wish to see them; I didn't want to purloin any more than just one picture.  

Note the sub-air system has melted all the snow off the 12th green just barely visible in the center of the frame.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 10:03:35 PM by Chuck Brown »

Jaeger Kovich

Re: ANGC - Winter 2010
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 10:05:54 PM »
Very cool!

I was going to go take some pics of Pinehurst #2 last weekend in the snow, but they wouldn't even let me walk near the course in the snow.

Steve Pozaric

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 10:40:07 PM »
For some reason, I never think of ANGC as being snow covered.  To think they had 4-6" of snow and the tournament is about 50 days away.
Steve Pozaric

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 10:51:46 PM »
I guess they're going to need to get sub-air under the fairways too now.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 05:43:49 AM »
They do have a sub air system in that green, but thats not what is keeping the snow off the turf. There is a heated coil system that allows the grass to grow year round-it can get pretty tough in that corner.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 05:49:24 AM »
A good friend who has played a substantial number of rounds at ANGC informs me that thick frost is very common in February. Despite the "usual" rules around frost on greens and the Masters a few weeks away, the club do everything possible to get the course open for members and guests by mid morning.
Cave Nil Vino

Jamie Barber

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 06:35:36 AM »
Looks like orange Top Flites are the order of the day :D

John Moore II

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 06:57:17 AM »
Very cool!

I was going to go take some pics of Pinehurst #2 last weekend in the snow, but they wouldn't even let me walk near the course in the snow.

Could have taken a picture of #1 and #18 from the clubhouse porch.

Michael Taylor

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 08:00:46 AM »
Chuck,

Could you give me a link to the rest of the pictures?

Pup

PCCraig

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 08:21:10 AM »
That's a pretty cool picture...you don't see that very often.

I say there is a good chance that 4" of snow in Georgia will melt by April  :)
H.P.S.

Chuck Brown

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 11:07:39 AM »
Chuck,

Could you give me a link to the rest of the pictures?

Pup

Michael -- it is a public [ordinary sign-in required, however] discussion board, as indicated in the watermark...

www.GolfWRX.com

I'm happy to give them full credit and encourage all to go there accordingly, consistent with fair-use attribution.  (Always a mukry subject on the 'net.)  It is a discussion board devoted mostly to golf equipment and high-end gear used by Tour players.

This link will get you to the thread...

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/346229-whiteout-at-augusta-national-merged-threads/

GolfWRX is a perfectly okay, ordinary message board -- its only recent infamy arose from having been the site where the global-hoax about Tiger-flying-to-Arizona-for-plastic-surgery originated, posted by one of the younger members.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 11:12:43 AM »
From an email I received this morning....wish I knew how to make them bigger

Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Chuck Brown

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 11:16:48 AM »
They do have a sub air system in that green, but thats not what is keeping the snow off the turf. There is a heated coil system that allows the grass to grow year round-it can get pretty tough in that corner.

Tony, thank you for that correction.  Yes, the hillside and the surrounding trees keep 12 green in shade, and I have always understood that the grass there tends to be thinner and more prone to spike damage than anywhere else on the golf course.  12 was the very first Sub-Air green on the course, wasn't it?

I do recall that 12 was where Vijay Singh lost his temper with Phil Mickelson's extra-long metal spikes, playing the group in front of him and leading to the near-fistfight in the the Masters' Locker Room.  It is also where, in 1986, a spike-mark knocked eventual-winner Jack Nicklaus' putt off line, promptiong Jack to jab at it with his putter.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 11:20:35 AM »
Actually, its very common during the 1st few snowfalls here in Utah to see the greens clear while the rest of the course is under snow.

It was explained to me this happens because the ground is still relativly warm so the snow melts upon contact. Meanwhile the taller fairway and rough grasses have air in between the top of the blades and the ground so that cold air acts as an insulator between the snow and the ground and the result is the snow "sticks".

Stephen Britton

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 08:13:24 PM »
Is this the first photo of the new practice facility?  8)

"The chief object of every golf architect or greenkeeper worth his salt is to imitate the beauties of nature so closely as to make his work indistinguishable from nature itself" Alister MacKenzie...

Mac Plumart

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 09:06:14 PM »
Our esteemed member Bob Crosby has asked me to post these to the site/thread for him.  I suppose he is technologically challenged.   :)

Nevertheless, enjoy...

Masters just a few weeks away!!!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Bill Rocco

Re: ANGC - Winter 2010 New
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 09:22:50 PM »
Great pictures...Bigger problem for Augusta National, winter kill or Tigers Media day (if he returns)?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 09:33:51 PM by Bill Rocco »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back