News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Flemma

Re: Colorado Golf
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2009, 01:14:26 PM »
The Engh courses to play are:

Sanctuary
Lakota Canyon
Redlands Mesa

But Cary, he's not going to be anywhere near the western part of the state.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Bill_McBride

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2009, 01:15:38 PM »
Thanks for all the ideas, gang.  As noted above, the flights are so untimely I'll just be playing out at Ballyneal. 

Oh darn.   ;D

Tim Leahy

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2009, 01:25:15 PM »
Fossil Trace is pretty unique if you like modern GCA and worth going out of your way to play. Murphy Creek and Riverdale Dunes are very close to the airport and very good layouts. Bear Dance is the prettiest mountain style course.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2009, 04:31:02 PM »
Sorry to threadjack, but... My recco of Sterling has just made some interesting news.

Back a year or so ago the private club sold to a group of investors, for I believe 700k. They turned it public, hence the Pawnee Pines (Near the Pawnee National Grasslands (Park?). Well... I just got a call telling me the group has now sold it to an individual for 500K and he has given it to the local community College. Supposedly, they will use the facilities to expand their culinary school and create a turf program.

An interesting turn of events.

Again, Maybe Scott Szabo can confirm or correct any mis-information. I didn't want to start a new thread on it since it's a pretty obscure course. Although, I firmly believe the ground is as good as Merion's and with a skilled operator on a chain saw could turn into an oft played Muni.

Good Luck Sterlingites. I wish only the best for you and your course.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Greg Chambers

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2009, 05:26:05 PM »
Adam,

Northeastern CC has had a turf program for quite a long time.  It's actually a pretty solid program, a nice alternative for those that can't afford the tuitions of the universities.  It will be good for the program to have the hands on access.  Great for them.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Scott Szabo

« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2009, 05:50:32 PM »
Sorry to threadjack, but... My recco of Sterling has just made some interesting news.

Back a year or so ago the private club sold to a group of investors, for I believe 700k. They turned it public, hence the Pawnee Pines (Near the Pawnee National Grasslands (Park?). Well... I just got a call telling me the group has now sold it to an individual for 500K and he has given it to the local community College. Supposedly, they will use the facilities to expand their culinary school and create a turf program.

An interesting turn of events.

Again, Maybe Scott Szabo can confirm or correct any mis-information. I didn't want to start a new thread on it since it's a pretty obscure course. Although, I firmly believe the ground is as good as Merion's and with a skilled operator on a chain saw could turn into an oft played Muni.

Good Luck Sterlingites. I wish only the best for you and your course.

Adam,

Your numbers are a bit off, but the gist of what you've heard is correct.  I'm meeting tomorrrow with some of the higher ups in this transition and should know more then.  While not an architectural masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination, our club has been in existence for over 80 years and has held a top amateur event in the region for almost the same amount of time, and holds a special place in many of our hearts.  It is sad to see the transition, but is a necessary one due to the financial hardships brought about by a lack of members.

PM me if you have any specific questions about the transition and I'll be happy to answer them - I don't want to take up any space here for the discussion.

Greg,

I do not believe that Northeastern has ever had a turf program (I may be wrong) but that was one of the programs that the donation was supposed to foster, that and the culinary side that Adam mentioned. 

It will be interesting to see this play out.  Hopefully it's a change for the good.

Scott

"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back