News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Ralston

Links, or what?
« on: November 20, 2009, 08:44:55 AM »
After reading the thread on links courses in Scotland, I was still uncertain, and always have been, as to what fits this 'links' definition.

Are there aspects that MUST be there? Aspects that must NOT be there? Can anyone make clear a definition?

Doug
Where is everybody? Where is Tommy N? Where is John K? Where is Jay F? What has happened here? Has my absence caused this chaos? I'm sorry. All my rowdy friends have settled down ......... somewhere else!

Scott Macpherson

Re: Links, or what?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 11:39:59 AM »
Doug,

Next year (2010) there will be a book coming out that will answer your question I believe, and then list what are the true links of the golfing world. I understand the celebrated Authors behind the book, George Peper and Melcolm Campbell, have identified about 240 courses, but the number may have changed since I last spoke with the  with. I await it with eager anticipation.

scott

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 11:59:51 AM »
After reading the thread on links courses in Scotland, I was still uncertain, and always have been, as to what fits this 'links' definition.

Are there aspects that MUST be there? Aspects that must NOT be there? Can anyone make clear a definition?

Doug

With very few exceptions, "linksliand" must lie in that unused land between the sea and the arable land.  Since it was pretty much unusable for anything else, golf sprang up!   ;D

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 01:43:05 PM »
Doug

The path you seek, my Brother is certain to lead to full enlightenment. The pleasures of the flesh are enhanced by the sea, wind and storms, yet more awaits you, so walking the smooth and undulating terrain as it opens out in front of you. You may hear the whispers in the air but it is not the Holy Grail that awaits you but the satisfaction of knowing that you have played golf not just against the hand and wisdom of man but have enjoyed a walk with God.

Only links golf can refresh the parts that other courses just cannot reach.

Find your paradise and full clarity of a links course in the Kingdom of Fife – you will not regret the trip.

Melvyn
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 01:48:46 PM by Melvyn Hunter Morrow »

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 02:33:19 PM »
Doug -

Read this interview with Robert Price from several years ago. His is a geologist and an authority on what makes linksland. You may even want to get a copy of his book on the geology of Scottish golf courses.

http://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/robert-price-july-2002

DT

Stan Dodd

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 09:03:31 PM »
Melvin,
That was your best post ever and I agree wholeheartedy.
Cheers,
Stan

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back