News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

The Lake Course at Mountain Dell - with pics!
« on: November 02, 2009, 04:17:27 PM »
The Lake Course at Mountain Dell was built in 1990 by local designer William Neff and is one of two courses on the site. It's located between Salt Lake City and Park City just off highway I-80 as you drive over the mountains.  Originally a 18 hole complex, the existing holes were divided among the two new courses most of which were allocated to the Canyon course.  4 of the holes were used on the Lake course, 2 of which were vastly modified.

The Lake course is a par 71 with 5 par 3s and provides awesome scenery of the nearby Wasatch mountains.  It also includes views of the original Pioneer Mormon trail as it makes its final approach into the Salt Lake Valley just prior to Emigration Canyon. The course covers a fair amount of ground and it seems some compromises were made to make the holes fit into a somewhat unconvential piece of property.  As a result, the course is not very walkable due to 4 long transitions that cross over a road and back on two different occasions, however some interesting holes were created in the process.

While the course doesn't play long at 6000 feet elevation, its narrowness in select spots keeps you honest.  It features a bit of quirk including a massive elevated bunker...the longest i'm aware of :). There are several interesting forced carries off the tee, including the 4th hole which is a "bite off as much as you can chew" par 4. The mildy undulating greens feature more break than they look and possess quite a few fall-off areas that can make for some interesting recovery shots.  Bunkering is mostly minimal, (with the one notable exception as mentioned), and is often only bunkered around the greens. Fairways are a cross between mildy and severly undulating depending on which part of the property they sit on.

While IMO the course is no more than a 3.5-4 on the Doak scale, its certainly another solid and very affordable public offering for those who live in the area...and with that enjoy the pictoral review of the course!!

Hole 1 - Par 5

A short but tight downhill opener that provides a great chance at birdie if you can keep it in play.  The tee shot:

The approach:

Hole 2 - Par 4

A tough downhill par 4 that is both longish and tight.  This hole is to be merely survived IMO...the tee shot.

The approach in to a green.  (There is a hazard short and right of the green).

Looking back up the hill from the green.

Hole 3 - Par 3

A medium to shortish downhill par 3 where missing left is dead.  The tee shot:

A look back from behind.

Hole 4 - Par 4

The epic tee shot on the 4th...this tee shot alone is almost worth the price of admission.  Challenge left as much as you dare. This pic is from the blues where I played this day.

The hole plays entirely differently from the whites and reds on the other side of the reservoir. View from whites.

The approach in from the fairway.

Looking back...the black and blue tees are beyond the three white trees across the reservoir.

Hole 5 - Par 5

Pretty straight-forward par 5 that is reachable in two by most. Tee shot.

A look at the green up close with the Pioneer trail route in the background.

Hole 6 - Par 4

The "notable exception" hole with the longest fairway bunker that I've ever seen.  Tee shot:

A look in from about 250 yards out...its odd-looking to say the least.

A look back from the right side of the green:

Hole 7 - Par 3

The short uphill par 3 hole..not much to this one other than the green is mostly blind.

Hole 8 - Par 4

A shortish par 4 that can be driven by the long hitters.  The tee shot:

The short approach in after a decent drive by my standards!

A good look at the fall-off area to the left of the green...its much steeper than it looks.

Hole 9 - Par 3

A medium length par 3 that plays uphill.  This green has a lot of slope as I found out with a 3 jack.

Back 9 to follow...

Kalen Braley

Re: The Lake Course at Mountain Dell - with pics!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 04:24:24 PM »
The Back 9:

Hole 10 - Par 5

A medium par 5 with trouble down the right.  One of the original holes that was modified. The tee shot:

The approach in from further back in the fairway:

A closer look at the somewhat crowned green:

Hole 11 - Par 4

Back across the road to this medium par 4 with a demanding tee shot:

A look at the approach...missing right into that green is bad....trust me on this!!  :(

Hole 12 - Par 3

The group in front of us waived us thru so I only took this one picture of the medium length par 3.  Once again missing right makes for a tough up and down.

Hole 13 - Par 4

Another short driveable hole for the bigger hitters.  The tee shot:

The short approach in from the right, with a tail-wind to boot...I couldn't hold the green!

Hole 14 - Par 5

An original hole that was converted from a long par 4 to a shortish par 5.  The green was also moved left and closer to the ravine... a very fun hole to play.  The tee shot.

After a decent drive a look from the fairway with about 260 left. You can bounce it in a bit from the right or just go straight at it.

A look at the approach when laying up:

A look back down the ravine as it eventually emtpies into the reservoir near the 4th hole.

Hole 15 - Par 4

Another one of the original holes.  Pretty much untouched except the greenside bunkers. Tee shot!

The approach in:

Hole 16 - Par 4

A really neat driving hole with a valley to carry with the tee shot!!

The approach into the semi-benched green:

A look at the green with the mountains in the background...gorgeous green setting!

Hole 17 - Par 3

The only really noteworthy par 3 on the course.  A dropshot to a green that sits next to a stream...all carry!

A quick look while crossing over the creek before getting to the green.

A look from behind the hole.  This green was deceptivly sloped with a devilish pin location. My playing partner putted into that front bunker...twice!!!

Hole 18 - Par 4

The last of the original holes...pretty straight forward short par 4 up the hill. The tee shot:

The approach in:

Anthony Gray

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 10:01:16 AM »

I love the two trees in the middle of the fairway. The cape hole over the river looks cool.

Thaks for the pics Kalen....nice review.

Anthony

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 11:57:04 AM »
Kalen,

If you ever get to Chambers Bay, you will see a longer fairway bunker. Not only is is longer, it is a lot wider. In fact it measures 7 acres in size. Great Fall colors in Utah this time of year.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 12:03:22 PM »
It is indeed a decent course in a nice location even if a few of the holes are a bit goofy due the parcel shape.

Each fall, I try to get in as many mountain courses as possible with the colors, wildlife, snow capped mountains, etc.

Chambers Bay is indeed on my "wish list" and who knows maybe I can convince the wife to move back to the Pacific Northwest sooner rather than later.  ;)

Kalen

Anthony Gray

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 08:26:39 PM »

This is one of the best course tours of the year. Why very little posting? Is it because it is not a major course. Great architectural logic Kalen.

Anthony

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 03:29:01 AM »
Kalen

This course has a load of potential mainly due to what looks like excellent elevation changes that aren't too severe.  Where it seems to fall short is in details.  Cart paths and trees cause some awkward views.  Greens and bunkers need to be shaped better to create more interest.  All that said, I imagine the green fees are very friendly so its hard to complain too much. 

Thanks for the tour.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 08:39:00 AM »
Sean,

I'd agree with that, there is at least 200-300 feet of elevation change with 4 green being the lowest point and the 1st tee its highest.  I think the greens have a decent amount of interest but you are spot on about the cart paths, dismal bunkering, and some odd tree placement.

At $38 to play, (inc. cart for the long transitions across the road), its another terrific value in the area.

Bill Satterfield

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 05:08:03 PM »
I look over at the Mountain Dell courses every time I'm on my way to Park City to golf and think to myself, "Self, you need to go play there!"  My brother-in-law that I generally travel and golf with played there several times when he lived in Utah and really enjoyed the complex.  Pretty amazing you have both courses at Mountain Dell, both at Wastach State Park, and both at Soldier Hollow all within a relative close proximity and fee range.

How do you rate the Mountain Dell courses compared to other great "value" courses in Utah, i.e. Bountiful Ridge, South Mountain, Valley View, Soldier Hollow, Wasatch State Park, etc.?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 09:12:41 AM »
I look over at the Mountain Dell courses every time I'm on my way to Park City to golf and think to myself, "Self, you need to go play there!"  My brother-in-law that I generally travel and golf with played there several times when he lived in Utah and really enjoyed the complex.  Pretty amazing you have both courses at Mountain Dell, both at Wastach State Park, and both at Soldier Hollow all within a relative close proximity and fee range.

How do you rate the Mountain Dell courses compared to other great "value" courses in Utah, i.e. Bountiful Ridge, South Mountain, Valley View, Soldier Hollow, Wasatch State Park, etc.?

Bill,

I would put the Lake Course at the bottom of that list....but just barely. I would rate those 6 courses like this.

1)  South Mountain
2)  Soldier Hollow- Gold
3)  Bountiful Ridge
4)  Valley View
5)  Wasatch State - Mountain
6)  Lake Course at Mtn Dell

It is a fun course and its biggest strength is interest/strategy off the tee. With the right kind of renovation it could be a gem of the area.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back