News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob Rigg

Chambers Bay - The rough is growing in
« on: September 29, 2009, 01:35:02 AM »
Rich Choi and I - along with other members of TWG Society - had a chance to play CB on Sunday.

One of the most interesting elements of the course on this visit was the extent of the rough grow in.

To be honest, I am looking forward to 2016 when they get rid of it because the aesthetic of the course is compromised. It is still a lot of fun to play, but often the rough actually PREVENTS your ball from going into a bunker or finding the thick fescue. And on some holes, such as 1 and 18, the rough can stop your ball from running an additional 40 yards away from the hole.

The USGA are definitely driving the bus on this one - Does anyone think it will REALLY make the course play harder for the Am and Open?

Every lie I had in the rough was an easier play than from the fairway (aside from the line to the green).

The photos below show 1 and 18 - I have other examples but these should suffice as a starting point for discussion.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 01:40:06 AM by Rob Rigg »

Rob Rigg

Re: Chambers Bay - The rough is growing in
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 01:48:56 AM »
A few more pics . . .

- 1st Pic - You can see they kept it tight around the first green, which is running much faster than earlier in the year (even after being punched recently). I enjoyed putting on them and I think they will be fantastic next year.

- 2nd Pic - Looking back on the par five 8th - The rough on the right side of the fairway (from the tee) will help keep your ball alive.

- 3rd Pic - Approach to the 10th green - I love this hole, it is a lot of fun and spectacular to behold from the tee.

- 4th Pic - The 10th also has some, ahem, small bunkers - Rich had fun in this one

- 5th Pic - The tee shot at 14 is one of my favorite anywhere. I also enjoy saving par out of the waste area that I have found myself in two out of three times that I've been at CB. A nice draw off the fairway bunker can be the hi-lite of your day.

- 6th Pic - A nice shot of 18 with a lone walker in the distance - the rough just looks so out of place . . . Most of the danger is hidden from view when you look back. What an incredible setting for a round of golf.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 01:57:29 AM by Rob Rigg »

Jim Franklin

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 09:23:09 AM »
Is having an Open really worth it to Chambers Bay? The course was so cool wothout rough and reminded me of Scotland. It is ridiculous that the USGA wants an event there, but needs to change the personality of the course in order to fit for its tournament. I knew there was a good reason I did not join the USGA this year for the first time in 20+ years.
Mr Hurricane

Sean Leary

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 11:14:26 AM »
I was actually surprised about how much the rough didn't bother me when I was there last month. It looks like any rough you would see at Bandon or an links courses overseas. Looks greener in these pics than when I was there.

Jim, they really need the Open to keep this place financially viable.

Richard Choi

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 12:08:40 PM »
It was great meeting Rob and his society members. Rob can definitely putt!

But ask him about the 7th :)

Sean is correct, this course will not be viable without the US Open. The good news is they are planning to remove the rough after 2015. I think that is good enough for me.

A couple of more notes:

The green site is growing in very nicely at 4th. It looks like it will be ready for next year's AM without a doubt. The new green is positively enormous. Probably the twice the size of the previous green.

The greens were punched last Wed, but putts were rolling really fast (and suprisingly true). At around 8 or 9 stimp, this course can get scary really fast. I am not sure it will be playable above 10. The sideboards and slopes really come into play. I was just in front of the green on #12 about 40 feet away from the pin which was tucked behind one of the sideboards and the best you could do from where I was leaving it about 25 feet away from the pin. You truly have to think about your approach angles. Great fun!

Rob Rigg

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 12:17:25 PM »
Rich - it was great to meet you and get in a round at CB - I love the place.

Yes, my friend the 7th hole was not very kind to me this round - yippee for ESC Scoring . . .

If you are ever playing that hole - take the Peter Herreid recommended route and blast it to the back regardless of where the pin us.

Also, consider calling ahead and requesting that the "hole location selector dude" does not get in a fight with his wife before heading to the course - that is the only reason I can think of having the pin in the "front, front, front, left quadrant". Three feet past the hole and you are all the way back down at the knoll in the fairway - and the sideboard will also kick your shot onto the green and send it back to the knoll.

That really hurt my feelings. I love linksy golf.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 12:21:26 PM »
Regarding the rough...

Is it not possible to just wait a couple of months or so before the Open before letting the rough growp up? I mean how long does it take to just let the grass grow a little longer or am I over simplifying this?

David Kelly

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 12:29:42 PM »
Well at least now it's right there in front of you.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 12:52:10 PM »
Kalen,

We talked with the head pro Nyk Pike about the rough - He said that it is much "easier" to just leave it then take it out and have to grow it in again.

The top picture of the thread was taken in April (or May) - that is when they just started growing in the rough (maybe a few weeks), so it has taken the entire summer to grow it out to current length. The rough is more shaggy than thick at this point, so it will probably be just before the Am when they are happy with it.

Maybe it is the fescue? But the grow in does seem to be fairly slow, so after they have it dialed in for the Am they will probably just maintain it for the Open.

Good question - I was wondering the same thing.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 01:33:57 PM »
I loved my one visit and really hope the course makes it so I hope the USGA understands what kind of gem they are dealing with.
Mr Hurricane

Anthony Gray

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 10:59:39 PM »

Great work.....We need more threads with photo evidence like this more.......THANKS.

Anthony

Rob Rigg

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 12:14:01 AM »
Anthony - Welcome back to the States!

Your CS photos are great.

Brent Carlson

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 12:36:16 AM »
Rob,

Just played there tonight and I found approaches from the rough easier than from the tight fairways.  The course could certainly do without it.

As my second time around the course played much better than in the spring.  This is a really good course!  Loads of fun!!

Rob Rigg

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 02:09:04 AM »
Brent,

I totally agree - I really like the course for its potential in the spring, but with the greens up to speed it is more fun to play now and will only get better.

I wonder how they will make the rough "challenging" to play from?

Will it get a lot thicker?

I thought the tight lies off the hard fairways demanded superior ball striking as well.

Paging Mr Davis :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back