News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Gerrish

sod wall bunkers
« on: August 18, 2009, 03:30:52 PM »
I've been looking for details on how "the old guys" built sod wall bunkers for some time with no luck.  Does anyone have any information from early in the past century?  AND, those of you who have built these wonderful hazards, are you doing it any different now utilizing any new technology or materials? 

Thanks!

Bill_McBride

Re: sod wall bunkers
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 03:38:29 PM »
I've been looking for details on how "the old guys" built sod wall bunkers for some time with no luck.  Does anyone have any information from early in the past century?  AND, those of you who have built these wonderful hazards, are you doing it any different now utilizing any new technology or materials? 

Thanks!

At Muirfield (Scotland) in 2007, I saw their crews rebuilding sod wall bunkers.  They were apparently working their way around the course.  I wish I had taken some photos.  Basically they had cut rectangles of sod and were stacking them after removing the old.  The grass was on top and the next tier stacked on top of that.  I suspect there is some kind of pinning system but couldn't see.  In front of the wall of stacked sod was just a wall of neatly shaved earth.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 03:51:34 PM »
Still much the same - maybe with mechanised turfcutters these days...

http://www.biggacentralsection.org.uk/blog/greenkeeping%20blog.htm

You can even build them INDOORS!!!
 ;D

http://www.eigca.org/BecomeGCADiploma.ink

cheers,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 04:08:12 PM »
Still much the same - maybe with mechanised turfcutters these days...

http://www.biggacentralsection.org.uk/blog/greenkeeping%20blog.htm

You can even build them INDOORS!!!
 ;D

http://www.eigca.org/BecomeGCADiploma.ink

cheers,
FBD.

Thanks, Martin, here's the applicable photo - that's a great blog, lots of interesting detail.  I guess a second team does the Old and a third the Eden and children's course?   The GUR sign is a nice touch!

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 05:16:39 PM »

Tim

Check out Dr Tim Lodge STRI Agronomist East Anglia) web page for info on bunkers & your sod construction
http://stri.lib.msu.edu/itb/articles/207-10.pdf or another site
http://www.pitchcare.com/magazine/improving-bunkers-renovation-restoration-or-redesign.html

Melvyn

Chris Buie

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 10:19:33 PM »
At the risk of exposing my own naivete, why do we not have these bunkers in the States?

Todd Bell

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 11:32:59 PM »
On one of the sites was an interesting comment from a groundskeeper.  He stated that they spent more time on the bunkers than the greens. 

Doug Siebert

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 12:54:40 AM »
Chris,

Well first of all the drainage is going to be more difficult on most sites in America that's a problem that's always solveable with the liberal application of cash (something that's probably scarce in courses being built today but sure wasn't until recently)

But to be honest I'd say most American golfers would consider a straight walled bunker from which you can't always hit the ball toward the hole at all (let alone get enough distance to get to the hole unless you are greenside) as being unfair.  Having water hazards all over the place, having dense forests you can't even walk into, let alone find your wall or hit out of, having stands of thick unmaintained weedy grass, they are fine with that and the penalty strokes that ensue.  But put a pot bunker in the middle of the fairway so they have to play out sideways and they'll scream bloody murder about what a crock that is.

No, doesn't make sense to me, either.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Tim Gerrish

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 08:20:51 AM »
Good stuff.  I'll try and contact Tim Lodge, since I use to live in East Anglia! 

He stated that they spent more time on the bunkers than the greens.
  I've heard that said over here at some courses too!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 09:19:32 AM »
But put a pot bunker in the middle of the fairway so they have to play out sideways and they'll scream bloody murder about what a crock that is.

I thought about that last time on The Old Course as I played sideways or maybe even a bit backwards out of the Principal's Nose bunker!  :o  I could hear the guys at home saying, "WTF?"  ;D

Ken Moum

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 09:56:06 AM »
At the risk of exposing my own naivete, why do we not have these bunkers in the States?

I played a course that had sod walls on at least one bunker but you'd never have known it. The superintendent said he was unable to keep the grass from growing, so he ended up with a steep, un-mowable grass face. I played the course about a year after it opened and the face of the bunker was just shaggy grass.

In Scotland the climate (apparently) doesn't encourage such fast growth, so the faces stay as mostly dirt.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Gary Gruber

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 10:09:26 AM »
As stated in an earlier post not a great deal has changed in bunker construction over the years, once excavated all that is required is good turf (the most important element) a spade and an edger.

Most clubs make the choice whether they want grass faces or bare turfs, we choose to keep them bare and use combinations of Roundup or petrol/diesel to stop regrowth, the amount of regrowth is dependant on whether the turf is laid grass up or down during construction, grass down obviously limits regrowth slightly.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 10:37:25 AM »
An anecdote re pot bunkers.

It was at the Old Course and a very good player from Stockton, one Dave Fisher, he who could score better than his pro at the old Crosby, asked his caddie if there were any traps to avoid. The caddie replied ," No Sorr."

Two hundred a seventy yards down the fairway there appeared a tiny hole in the ground and his ball in the middle of it. A flutterblast at the caddie about saying that there were no traps etc. etc. The caddie's response was priceless, "Nay traps Sorr, bunkers."

Bob

archie_struthers

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 11:22:48 AM »
 :D ;D ;)
Sod wall , sometimes called  revetment bunkering  construction, is a lot like making lasagna, where layer by layer of  cut sod is stacked and pasted together. ...with the purpose of constructing a  wall of sod that can withstand the effects of water over time. Typically highly pitched or slanted areas wear dramatically during big storms , as anyone who worked around a golf course can attest to after a heavy rain.

Revetment is  French in origin,  and  basically refers to a retaining wall made of earthen material , the rooting of the grass binds the wall , much like a tie rod might be used. 

They tend to be used to a great extent in the British Isles , and on some links style courses here in the states. However many  good superintendents have used them to firm up a slope that takes a heavy dose of ranfall or runoff.   They are a neat feature and quite aesthetically appealing if done right .

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 03:56:07 PM »
:D ;D ;)
Sod wall , sometimes called  revetment bunkering  construction, is a lot like making lasagna, where layer by layer of  cut sod is stacked and pasted together. ...with the purpose of constructing a  wall of sod that can withstand the effects of water over time. Typically highly pitched or slanted areas wear dramatically during big storms , as anyone who worked around a golf course can attest to after a heavy rain.

Revetment is  French in origin,  and  basically refers to a retaining wall made of earthen material , the rooting of the grass binds the wall , much like a tie rod might be used. 

They tend to be used to a great extent in the British Isles , and on some links style courses here in the states. However many  good superintendents have used them to firm up a slope that takes a heavy dose of ranfall or runoff.   They are a neat feature and quite aesthetically appealing if done right .

Archie, where have you seen them in the U.S.?  I can't recall ever seeing one here.  My first trip to St Andrews was inspiring and illuminating!

Tim Gerrish

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 04:19:03 PM »
Widow's Walk in Mass has a sod wall bunker made of carpet.  I've never seen one anywhere else in the Western Hemisphere. 

Bandon???? 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 04:30:37 PM »
Widow's Walk in Mass has a sod wall bunker made of carpet.  I've never seen one anywhere else in the Western Hemisphere. 

Bandon???? 

I haven't seen Old Mac yet but don't recall any on the first three courses.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 10:25:43 PM »
Diamond Hawk in Cheektowaga, NY has them...three-year old course.

Holiday Valley's front nine (Ellicottville, NY) has them, courtesy of Paul Albanese, who did the redesign there.  Talk about turning a sow's ear into a silk purse!
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

jim_lewis

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2009, 10:22:00 AM »
Greg Norman uses the sod-wall bunkers occasionally.  There are some at TPC Sugarloaf and at the Pointe near Charlotte. At least there were when the courses first opened. Have not been to either lately
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back