News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

The Fear Factor
« on: May 09, 2002, 12:29:23 PM »
When playing away from home and on a revered course, is there anyone among us whose swing goes from long and lanquid to abreviated and ugly? Is it the difference in architecture and shot values or just a plain choke? From Monday to Wednesday there was a fourteen shot swing in my performance and it happens all the time.

Thinking of Ian Baker-Finch and Chip Beck, I was wondering if any of our contributors had used a hypnotherapist?  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

jg7236

Re: The Fear Factor
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2002, 01:09:59 PM »
Bob, have you ever thought of not drinking while you play golf, or maybe you aren't drinking enough on road trips.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2002, 01:32:32 PM »
I've experienced it, yes.

After telling the starter at Bandon Dunes I wanted to play one tee back from where he had everyone else teeing off (two tees up from the tips), I promptly topped my tee shot in front of a handful of spectators, including people waiting to cross to get to the range.

Same thing at Bethpage (Black).  From the tips, in front of about 10 people and the infamous first tee warning sign:

I topped my tee shot not even to the bottom of the hill.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2002, 02:11:14 PM »
Bob,

You are not alone.

My topped, pulled tee shot on the 1st at Merion last summer was the ultimate in heel jobs, travelling a hefty 60 yards.

Thankfully, I'm left-handed, or it would have ended in someone's teacup.  

ian

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2002, 04:47:47 PM »
There is nothing more frustrating than playing badly on a course when you anticpated the round for 6 months.
My first four days in row on my trip to Scotland. Troon 83, Gleneagles 81, Muirfield 103, Carnoustie 87. Where did the 103 come from?
This was the course that I wanted to see the most, and I was playing well, AND EXPECTED TO PLAY WELL. I anticipated the perfect day, especially with little wind. Too much pressure. The next day I expected to struggle and had fun despite the constant gale. Go figure. I think that you want to play so well on that special course that you fail to relax and enjoy the day as it unfolds. Oh yea, I still love Muirfield despite my game trying to get in the way.

Dan King

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2002, 05:08:34 PM »
I was so impressed with my group at Rustic Canyon. Not one of them used a card or pencil. I like to think it was because we were all in the moment of playing the new course, but maybe it was because my rep as a card & pencil Ned Ludd preceeded me.  

I'm sure anyone of us could have recreated our rounds later if we had the desire, but I'm guessing the other three did not.

Just saying no to the card & pencil eliminates one of the potential fear factors.
"In 30 years, we're going to be in our 90s. We're going to play three-hole tournaments for $900,000 and the one who remembers his score wins."
 --Bob Bruce

TEPaul

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2002, 05:52:31 PM »
There truly is a well known "fear factor" term associated with a particular golf course that even the caddie cadre uses quite frequently:

It's called the "Pine Valley hangon" and for any of you who aren't familiar with it--it indicates an odd inability to release the club properly at the moment of truth, usually followed by a loud. "OH NO!!"

It may sound funny to some of you now, but this is no joking matter, it's a true fear factor well known at that club!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:05 PM by -1 »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2002, 06:24:24 PM »
Bob, I don't think I'd refer to that phenomenon as fear either.  I think it is more in the category of things you want too much and try too hard thus getting out of your comfort zone.  I bet just about everybody strikes the ball and works it better on the range than on the course because for one thing, they get comfortable and settle in.  

Also, when traveling out of your home area, you can see very different terrain.  Different horizons can make you either clostraphobic or disoriented depending on the horizons you are used to.  Then you just can't get comfortable over a ball.  Sometimes I feel like I am standing on the moon when I get far away from my home environment.  An example is my frequently playing a comfortable woodland course at home where there aren't any horizons past the next hole corridors.  Then going out west to courses where you can see many miles in the horizon.  That disorients me for a while because the fairways look narrow and insignificant to the big sky horizons.  While at home a fairway can look big and wide because you can't see too far past it into the distance or wide afield.  But then that is just me, and I could be wrong or just dizzy. ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

redanman

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2002, 04:42:16 AM »
Performance anxiety, gentlemen.  That's a good term.

TEPaul

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2002, 05:22:50 AM »
The fear factor to me in golf might have been a bit unusual (not sure though as I've never talked about the fear factor with anyone).

I never had a fear factor except in tournmant golf which is about all the golf I played for about 20 years. Interestingly the more people around the calmer I was and concentrated better.

I'd get a little keyed up in tournament golf (fear factor maybe) but only UNTIL I hit a bad shot then it was gone for the rest of the round or the day.

Sounds sort of unusual and odd to me, don't know though.

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2002, 08:11:10 AM »
I have a funny story about this as well.  When I high school I was playing a round at Crooked Stick in preparation for a tournament and my host and I got paired with a couple of guys in their 30s who were dressed in all the proper garb and had the right clubs.  I was really nervous and topped my tee shot on the first tee.  One of the guys made a wise crack about how I might want to leave the course and go back to my public course in Alexandria.  He continued to berate me all the way up the first hole as I took a triple bogey and he made par.  I proceded to beat him by about 10 strokes and shot one of my best rounds ever.  I don't even remember what I shot, but the look on his face the rest of the round was pretty priceless as I beat him on just about every hole after that.  My host just laughed on the last hole when I told the guy he needed to improve his game if he wanted to come and play on my public course in Alexandria.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2002, 08:18:48 AM »
Good one, Chris.  

A moderately similar story from me.  At a high school regional match, the first hole was a par 5, where I proceeded to top my tee shot.  As I was walking out to it, I looked back at the coach and shrugged my shoulders in bewilderment.  I ended up birdieing the hole.

John Foley

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2002, 08:20:00 AM »
No matter how much I play, I always get jitters on the opening tee. Of course, at Barona my first get together w/ the GCA crew, my drive was a sceaming 60 yarder that never got above waist height.

Best story, a few years back we had a foursome w/ some college friends. Myself and 2 others were pretty good (5-10 index). Our fourth was a good freind who had played maybe 3 times in his life. He knew it would be the only chance to get w/ his freinds so for weeks prior he would hit the range to get ready.

On the first tee he tee's up his driver and hits a pop-up 45 degrees right. The ball lands on the pracice putting green and goes into a hole. He turns to us and dead pans, "Is that a hole-in-one?"

Priceless!
Integrity in the moment of choice

THuckaby2

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2002, 09:12:15 AM »
All these negative waves are getting me down... so while I too have had PLENTY of screwups, first tee and otherwise, which I could report here, let me recount a more positive instance.

First tee, Pebble Beach.  Anyone who's been there knows this is one of the great butt-tighteners in all of golf.  Never mind WHERE YOU ARE and the "importance" of the round... it's surrounded by envious tourists and one can feel all the eyes watching and critiquing.  I've been lucky enough to play the course several times, but not enough such that every time I still feel the same way.

Well, I don't have any tee ego at all - I'll play purple challenger tees if that's what the group wants to do - but at Pebble, I've never played anything but the back tees.  No good reason for it really, that's just how it's gone.  So last time there, I wanted to keep my "streak" going, and although everything steers you to the whites (the starter's podium is there, the caddies stand there, the carts all drive to there where the rock wall surrounding the tee ends)... and you have to make a real conscious effort to walk BACK to the blue tees... walk back I did, when the starter stopped me with these words "excuse me sir, the back tees are recommded for four handicaps or lower."  

Now many have met me.  I fully understand I don't LOOK like a player.  And I also understand the starter wants to keep things moving, and I realize few people should play the back tees at Pebble.  So I was just about to give it up and play from the whites when the left-shoulder devil made me say, in a VERY nice voice with a smile and a laugh:

"well, how do you know that I'm not?"  I expected him to leave it at that, maybe laugh with me, and I'd play the whites.  But alas and alack such was not the case.  Instead I got back with a snarl and a frown:

"Sir, we really recommend you play the up tees."

Ok, so now I was irked.  No matter what he's not gonna believe I'm a low 'capper, and he's not gonna let me make my own decision.  The back tee markers were out, by the way.  Thus I replied, still smiling (at least on the outside):

"Fair enough.  I'm still going to play the blues, if you don't mind.  I know this golf course and I know my game."

to which I got:

"the course is quite difficult sir.  We really recommend the white tees."

OK, more irked I became.  But hey, I want to keep things civil.  But no way was I gonna play the whites now.

"Well, if you really don't mind too much, I'm going to stick with the blues.  I've never played the whites here and I don't intend to start now."

Silence from the starter.  I keep walking back and put the ball on a peg between the blue markers. Many tourists have heard this exchange and my more timid playing partners are mortified.  But what the hell, I would have played the whites if he would have been nicer about it and just asked what my handicap was instead of assuming I wasn't 4 or lower (I was indeed 3 at the time).

So the pressure's REALLY on now.  I put away the 2iron I was going to hit off that tee, and pulled out the big stick.  Doing my routine a bit more quickly than normal, I piped a fade around the corner, perfect, in the fairway at a place Tiger would have accepted (remember, he hits 4iron off this tee!).  Looking the starter in the eye, I said,

"Is that ok?"

The starter turned and walked away with no comment.

Believe me, as I say, I have about 15 screwup stories to match this good one.  And I don't normally go around challenging starters at world-class courses.  But hey, he brought it on!

In any case, I just though we needed something positive here!   ;D

TH

NAF

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2002, 09:59:20 AM »
Huck,

I never had more of the fear factor after talking to you prior to my CP moment.  I holed out on #15 with a par and then the palpitations grew deafening.  As I walked what I consider the greatest walk in golf (From 15 green to 16 tee) thru the primeval arboreal forest of Cypress trees I literally thought my heart was going to come out of my chest.  When I finally saw the mission before me at the 16th, I felt exhiliration and like I was walking on a cloud.. A feeling of serenity came over me as I addressed the ball. I looked at the target waving over the Pacific 210 yards away.  My caddie, Eddie, said believe in your swing..The wind picked up into my face and I started to get nervous wondering if a 3 wood was enough.  My heart started up again, my hands started to shake on the club as I started my back swing.  Then I just stopped on the downswing, just like Tiger did once on TV when a flashbulb went off.  My caddie was stunned, never saw anyone do that..I then admired my surroundings, felt blessed to be there and still nervous hit one of the best boring draws of my life.   It landed pin high before releasing.  I had a 40 foot putt but was on the green in regulation..My caddie said only 2 in 10 make it at Cypress.. He high fived me and I literally felt higher than, than any other moment in my life..

Now the 3 putt that followed is another story.. :D

THuckaby2

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2002, 10:13:11 AM »
NAF:  my apologies most definitely for ADDING to the fear factor re 16 Cypress!  But boy oh boy did you summarize that one well.  I've been lucky enough to play it twice and both times my knees were literally shaking and I couldn't get the tee in the ground.  You wanna talk butt-tighteners?  This might be the single greatest of all.

Screw the 3-jack - yours is a SUCCESS story and thanks for sharing it!

I had a similar experience my round there last October... and the caddie helped tremendously as well.  After all the pictures, gawking, hubbub, he pulled me aside and said "ok, you've done the tourist thing.  Calm down now, you've got a shot to hit.  Just hit the same drive you've been doing all day and you'll be just fine."

That hit me like a sledgehammer.  I had indeed been hitting the ball well that day and in the end, this was just another swing.  Oh yes, I got it over (into a small wind), ball stopped on back of the green.  I was lucky enough to two-putt - damn near made the birdie also.

A few GCA stalwarts were there to witness this so I hope I told the story correctly.  It's kinda burned into my mind....

TH

Dan Kelly

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2002, 10:13:18 AM »
Tom IV --

Great story from Pebble.

I'd have been such a wreck, after all of that, that I'd have hit  it about six inches fat and dug an enormous divot out of that tee. Then I'd have turned to the starter and said: "Thanks, pal. That was nice of you." And then I'd have trudged off, muttering about how much finer this world would be without the curse of petty bureaucrats, public and private.

Is this just my experience, or are MOST of these starter/ranger types frustrated little men itching to take out a lifetime of impotent frustration on whoever wanders across their paths?  
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

THuckaby2

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2002, 10:17:05 AM »
DK:  hopefully you noticed I added the phrase "doing my routine quicker than normal"... Afterward the thought occurred to me that I was just irked enough to do this quick enough so that I didn't have TIME to think.  Had I taken time, I would have laid sod over the ball for sure!

As for the Pebble starters, well... Adam Clayman can assess them the best, that's for sure.  My experience is given the unspoken, but well-known figures for how much it takes to grease the guy to skip ahead and get on if you don't have a time, they have a great sense of their "importance."  But I've never done that and it's just hearsay by me.  This guy was just doing his job, in the end I didn't mind.  But I vowed afterward to work on my appearance a bit!

TH

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2002, 10:19:16 AM »
This really isn't about fear as much as it is about being distracted, but I've found that many of my rounds with GCAers to be TOO relaxed, if there is such a thing.  There's often too much to talk about and thus I find myself distracted from at least some semblance of concentration.

I admit to caring about score too much, but I tend to play my best when the talk is at least somewhat limited, yet still relaxed.  Easily my best round played with others here was when we were in carts, which automatically limits the conversation to a degree.  I can thus put some concentration toward putting, course management, and chipping, which I find lacking when I'm distracted.

My worst GCA round was more the course's fault.   ::)  The Ocean Course in an afternoon wind can kick your arse.

THuckaby2

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2002, 10:27:29 AM »
Scott:  WHOOPS.  You're in big trouble if and when you ever play with me.  I'm kind of uh... talkative.  I know it and just can't help it.  Especially with GCA folks, well... grinding out a score just seems to be about #465 on my list of priorities and you're right, there is just so much to talk about!  Just tell me to shut up - I can take it.

I'm quiet as mouse when playing competitively... I do understand the detriment to score that conversation gives.  And I swear I try to be courteous of others without question.

But yours is a very valid point in any case!

TH

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2002, 10:41:30 AM »
I can talk, too.  Just ask Allan Long.

Most of the time, sans GCAers, conversation is more limited and is taylored to who I'm playing with.  If I'm playing well, my game is the one thing I won't bring up.

If and when we play, Huck, I'm sure there will be a few things to talk about.

THuckaby2

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2002, 10:42:46 AM »
Scott:  VERY GOOD!  Oh yeah, we'll have a bit to talk about.  We'll both just ratchet down quality of play expectations.  ;)

Cheers!

TH

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2002, 11:29:48 AM »
We had a Hollywood director in town scouting for an upcoming movie.  The SC Film Board called to see if we could get him on The Ocean Course.  They wanted to schmooze him as he was a relatively new but very enthusiastic golfer.  We had to play the back nine first (at 9am to get in front of the first group) then filled in an opening on the front nine.  Anyway, he went through a full dozen balls on the 10th tee, spraying them every which way.  The visual imtimidation was too much for him.  It took him about 6 holes to get his head in the game.

John_D._Bernhardt

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2002, 12:12:46 PM »
Bob et al, Since most of you see me on road trips, it is very true my swing gets quicker. I rarely have the time to get it back either and of course the pleasures of travel including beverages take their toll. I have to make an concerted effort to take a few hours to get my swing right after I get there. Also one has to keep the drinks under 15 a night lol. I usually do not worry and just enjoy the company and the course and not worry that my 75 became an 80 to 83. There are usually a few good shots here and there or a day where you can really have some fun working the ball around.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back