News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Nichols

Kyle Phillips Work at RTJ
« on: June 04, 2009, 07:22:14 PM »
I read recently that in the late 90's, and then again in 2004 or 2005, Kyle Phillips did some redesign work at RTJ in Virginia.  Does anyone know what was changed, why, and/or whether the changes were good ones?   

Chip Gaskins

Re: Kyle Phillips Work at RTJ
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 09:34:39 PM »
I don't know what has changed, but I do know what is there now is good stuff.  I was very pleasantly surprised when I played.  Not your typical RTJ (no pun intended) redundant long par 4s, back and forth routing, etc....  I very much enjoyed it.  Now the clubhouse on the other hand is everything that is wrong with golf, jez

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 11:21:26 AM »
Its discussed on his web site, www.kylephillips.com

Robert Trent Jones Golf Club Redesigner
From the Wshington Monthly Monthly

ROBERT TRENT JONES GOLF CLUB on the shores of Lake Manassas has been around for less than a decade. But in that time it has become one of the most sought-after corporate memberships in the Washington area.

Named for its own illustrious architect, the course is nearly 7,300 yards of some of RTJ’s best work. It’s fitting that it was named after the man who helped professionalize the business of golf course architecture. His contributions are world famous. His inspirations helped talented newcomers continue to improve the business.

One of those is Kyle Phillips, the man who was asked to help rehab parts of his former boss’ namesake venue. “I got a call from the club because I had worked with both Robert Trent Jones Sr. and Jr. for more than 16 years,” says Phillips, whose own company is based in Granite Bay, Calif. “The PGA Tour was involved with the project originally (through preparations for the Presidents Cup), and the club was interested in maintaining the architectural integrity of the course. They needed someone to do some upgrading while maintaining the look and feel of the original golf course.”

The major architectural activity took place on holes 14, 15, and 18 along with some work on No. 4 green and No. 9 tee. The No. 15 and No. 18 fairways were rebuilt from the landing areas to the greens, and the No. 9 tee was expanded and improved at the spots where members wanted to play. The most noticeable renovation, however, was made at the layout’s finishing hole.

“The old green sat up quite a ways above the lake,” says Phillips. “There was always a desire by the members to get the green nearer to the lake.

Both the PGA and the RTJ membership played big roles in the upgrades. The changes were geared for the long-term health of the venue and not just to accommodate the Presidents Cup every so often.
“Members of the PGA Tour had their issues and the club wanted to know how that theory would be applied, if it would fit in with the original design,” says Phillips. “ You have a very astute membership there. They take a lot of pride in their golf course, and rightly so.”

Although the bulk of Phillips’ golf course attention has been based in the western United States and in Europe (he is finishing a course six miles from St. Andrews), his Eastern resume includes work at Sugarloaf in Maine and Landsdowne near Leesburg, Va.

He has become particularly impressed with RTJ’s conditioning, which is in large part due to superintendent Glen Smickley’s constant doting.

“Every time I go there, winter, spring, summer or fall, the greens are always in great shape,” says Phillips, who likened the RTJ challenge to that of Spyglass Hill in his home state. “Even with the dramatic changes in climate, it stays well maintained. Glen must use magic dust on them or something.”

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 12:03:14 PM »
That article has the age of the course wrong.  I was there for the first President's Cup in 1992 or 1993.  1993 I think.

#18 always looked like they could have built the green down near the lake and had a nice amphitheater effect.  In general it's a lot of fun to play there, big open course with some interesting fairway bunkering like the big diagonal cross bunkers on I think #2.

Scott Furlong

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 12:44:14 PM »
Kyle has done some great work and left the place as if RTJ Sr. had done it.  In 1995 Roger Rulewich rebuilt the 6th green.  With increasing green speeds that limited pin positions, the Club decided to rebuild before the 1996 Presidents Cup.  Jeff Bradley shaped the green and the rest of the work was done in-house.  In 1997 Kyle tweaked many areas on the course and rebuilt 4, 14, and 15 greens and lowered the second half of 15 fairway.  Chip McDonald did the shaping, the rest was in-house.  In 1998 he rebuilt # 18 green and lowered the fairway.  2003 Kyle rotated the cross bunker on #8, which split the fairway, and rebuilt the green.  During this time we softened the noses on 2, 16, and 17 greens and he consulted on the construction of our new practice range and teaching facility.  The work done in 1998 and 2003 was done in-house with one of Kyle’s operators.  The changing green speeds of the late 80’s (during construction of RTJGC) into the mid to late 90’s influenced these changes.  I can’t say enough good things about Kyle.  Everything he has touched has only enhanced the course.         

The clubhouse is huge but it is awesome.  I’m not very good at this picture thing so hopefully it works.  We just got our website up and it has better pictures than what I can put on here. 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 01:47:38 PM by Scott Furlong »

Scott Furlong

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 12:46:42 PM »
OK I got the photo situation sorted out now. 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 08:52:53 AM by Scott Furlong »

Scott Furlong

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 01:47:04 PM »
OK here are some photos,

# 4 Kept the same shape but was raised by 2 feet.  Par 3

In 2003 Kyle rotated the cross bunkers on #8 and rebuilt the green.  Par 5

#14 changed completely.  The green was lowered 6 feet and is now a dramatic 2 tier green with a stone wall bordering the pond.  Par 5

#15 the trees behind the green were removed and the green was moved closer to the lake.  Fairway was lowered and all tee boxes were changed.  Par 4

In 1998 Kyle lowered 18 fairway and moved the green left and closer to the lake.  2 tees were rebuilt.  Par 4

« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 01:54:37 PM by Scott Furlong »

Carl Nichols

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 09:49:23 AM »
I had the good fortune to play RTJ last week for the 4th time, and I'll echo Chip's comment that the course, as it currently exists, is really terrific.  It sits on a wonderful and expansive piece of property; has several great holes (13 is on my list of favorite par 4's, 11 is a great par 3, and the par 5's are all very good); and is a great test of all aspects of your game.  On this visit, the only thing it lacked was a driveable par 4, but that's just because they didn't have the tees up on 1 or 2 of the holes that can be reached from up tees.  (E.g., the last time I was there, 10 played as a great risk-reward reachable par 4.)  

All of this is greatly enhanced by the absolutely terrific conditions maintained by Scott and his crew.  Everything was fast and firm, but not rock-hard; the fairways were tight and pristine; the greens rolled perfectly and fast (but not preposterously fast); and the rough was the perfect difficulty for everyday play.  They really get the maintenance meld idea.  I just can't say enough about the job Scott and his guys do out there.  My only regret is that I didn't get a chance to tell Scott in person -- though I did tell his boss.   ;D

So was it fun?  Absolutely!  Did I want to go right back to #1 after finishing 18?  Absolutely!  
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 09:54:28 AM by Carl Nichols »

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 05:35:30 PM »
Kyle is on top of his game right now.  He's coming off tremendous success in renovation/restorations at RTJ, Wilshire CC (phase 1 is complete), California Golf Club, Incline Village and Del Paso CC.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back