News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Reynolds Plantation
« on: April 28, 2010, 09:12:51 AM »
I'm making a quick trip up to Georgia next week that will include a stay at Reynolds, a round at Longshadow and one at Reynolds Plantation's several courses.   I haven't played any of them.  For those who have, which would you recommend if you were only playing one?

Off line IM replies will be fine!

Thanks.

Kenny Baer

Re: Reynolds Plantation
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 09:16:51 AM »
The only one I would reccomend @ Reynolds is Great Waters; has it reopened yet?  If so I think the back nine is just awesome; the front nine is poor minus #5 & #9 imo.

Longshadow conditioning can be very rough

Derek_Duncan

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 09:33:02 AM »
Bill,

I believe Great Waters has reopened after the recent renovation/improvements, and of the four resort courses, this too is the one I would play first. Just a lovely golf course. If you can get on The Creek (Engh), which is private for RP members, it's definitely worth it for entertainment value alone.

I'm assuming you've played Cuscowilla?
www.feedtheball.com -- a podcast about golf architecture and design
@feedtheball

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 09:33:24 AM »
What Kenny said.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 05:36:58 PM »
play the Creek Club and report back.  A former employee wrote that there's only one course to play there...The Creek Club.  after playing them, I agree.  best greens, most interesting diversity of holes and elevation change.

Contact me off-list for more...
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 06:15:55 PM »
Bill, You know the area as well as anyone. I personally like Cuscowilla and Athens Cc along with Mike's course. I have not seen Creek but hope it is better than Great Waters.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 07:42:24 PM »
Bill, You know the area as well as anyone. I personally like Cuscowilla and Athens Cc along with Mike's course. I have not seen Creek but hope it is better than Great Waters.

John, I know the general area well but have only been there (Reynolds Plantation) for lunch out behind the hotel.  My friends want to play Great Waters so that's what has turned out to be on the menu.  Longshadow Friday, Mike Young says it's in much better condition, GW Saturday.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 07:59:46 PM »
Bill...

I played Longshadow maybe three weeks ago.  It is indeed in much better shape.  You will have fun!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Adam Russell

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 08:27:42 PM »
play the Creek Club and report back.  A former employee wrote that there's only one course to play there...The Creek Club.  after playing them, I agree.  best greens, most interesting diversity of holes and elevation change.

Contact me off-list for more...

I'm a former employee (caddie) of five years and I say it's marginal at best. I'm ok with Engh's designs but I think he needs expansive sites out West to make his contouring work. Every green at The Creek is a cut into a hillside and over-the-top. Add pine trees all around the scale is off - the features are way too big for the surrounding landscape. As for the a quick lake trip, I think Bill's got the right courses and order for a two day deal. If Longshadow's in good shape it's fighting Cuscowilla for the top spot. Everything else in the area runs together and is really just personal preference - although I will say Bob Cupp's former Port Armour, now the Landing, is quite underrated.

Kenny B. - you didn't like #3 or #8 (the biarritz) at GW?
The only way that I could figure they could improve upon Coca-Cola, one of life's most delightful elixirs, which studies prove will heal the sick and occasionally raise the dead, is to put rum or bourbon in it.” -Lewis Grizzard

Kenny Baer

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 09:41:32 PM »
I don't remember #3, is #8 the par 3?  If I remember there are just to many houses on that hole for my particular taste, seems like there were houses 10 yds right of play the entire length of the hole.

IMO Creek Club is borderline goofy golf, everything is over the top.  It may be fun to play but if you are looking for a quality golf course that incorporates natural elements into the design than the Creek course is not for you.  If you like wild holes with crazy features then you will enjoy Creek. There are probably 10 greens with 6-8ft undulations in the contours, subtley the Creek Course is not.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 10:04:41 PM »
Bill...

I played Longshadow maybe three weeks ago.  It is indeed in much better shape.  You will have fun!

great, thanks Mac.

Adam Russell

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 10:19:40 PM »
Kenny-

Yes, #8 is the par-3 which I think is an unusual hole just because I can't remember seeing Nicklaus do a biarritz. They did mess with it a little during the reno, raising the green to a foot or two which makes it so you have to fly it almost all the way onto the green or the shot will just rock back into a tight chip area. I liked the older version better. #3's about a 440 back tees, 420-390 middle tees hole with two inside fairway bunkers and a wide fairway that elevates sharply at the end to two deep greenside bunkers on the left. The green makes an angled t-shape. I like it because the hole comes right after the short par-5 2nd where you can eagle, and you can change gears whether to play safe or aggresive on the approach shot depending on your drive and the flag, which I find most holes of that length won't let you do. Most holes that distance require little more than the best drive, best iron you've got. You can lean on whatever part of the game is going good that day and still par even from the backs.
The only way that I could figure they could improve upon Coca-Cola, one of life's most delightful elixirs, which studies prove will heal the sick and occasionally raise the dead, is to put rum or bourbon in it.” -Lewis Grizzard

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back