News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Choi

Hidden Tees at Pacific Dunes?
« on: June 22, 2009, 12:45:11 PM »
Someone mentioned in another discussion thread elsewhere that there are "hidden" tees at Pacific Dunes that can stretch the course to 7500 yards.

I didn't realize there were even hidden tees, let alone that can play to 7500 yards. Can someone confirm whether or not this is true?

If it is true, I would think it would come in handy for the Pub Links Championship.

Kalen Braley

Re: Hidden Tees at Pacific Dunes?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 12:47:02 PM »
Richard,

There are "hidden" tees but not sure if they can stretch the course to that distance...

Shane Wright

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 01:45:59 PM »
Richard,

I know they have hidden tees for #1, #4, and #18.  I played from #1 and #18....#18's make it about a 650 yard hole.  I had a brief discussion about this with Mr. Doak awhile back on a here.  I didn't look it up to copy/paste.  It seems to me that there is one other hole with a "Keiser" tee as they are called.

We also played #1's Keiser tee which made it a brutally difficult opening hole.  I would say the toughest opening hole I have played.

But I don't think there is any way it makes the course 7500 unless there are other added tee boxes I don't know about. 

archie_struthers

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 01:51:53 PM »
 :D ;D ;)

Just a guess....but I'm thinking we'll hear about any "hidden" tees real soon.

Shane Wright

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 01:52:57 PM »
I apologize for my hastily typed response above....here is the original question from me with Mr. Doak's answer?  So I would have to say there is no way 7500 is accurate.

Shane

Re: what course do you give a Doak 10 to that Tom didn't?
« Reply #111 on: October 03, 2008, 01:24:53 PM » Quote Modify  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom -

I'm sure this has been discussed many times on here and if so just say it, but on the note of Pacific Dunes, how many of the holes have "Keiser" tees?  The one on #18 fabulous.  We had to look for a little while.....

and the Keiser tee on #1 is quite the opening tee shot.  

Was this purely Mike's idea or what kind of input did you have in it as well?  If you are allowed to share?    

Report to moderator    67.110.61.39  

Tom_Doak

I love GCA!

Re: what course do you give a Doak 10 to that Tom didn't?
« Reply #112 on: October 03, 2008, 01:29:31 PM » Quote  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shane:

Two or three alternate tees were suggested by Mr. Keiser, who did the same thing at Bandon Dunes ... that's why they are called the "Keiser tees".  But the two tees you mentioned were both my idea.  I just knew that they would not be playable if the wind was blowing from the wrong direction (the back tee on #1 in summer, the back tee on #18 in winter), so I suggested not putting them on the scorecard.  There is another tee up by the halfway house for #4 which falls into the same category ... it's not nearly as interesting of an angle from up there, but it would keep the hole a long par 4 for a Tour pro in a tailwind.

Mr. Keiser is more prone to suggesting alternate tee locations for the middle and forward tees.  There is one of them way up on the right on #5 -- I think it's still there anyway -- and another was to use the chipping area on #6 at Bandon Dunes for a back tee on Pacific #11.  Mike's suggested lower tee on #4 is now overgrown by gorse, fortunately.  

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 02:27:26 PM »
Other than:

* Using the back tees on 1 and 18, already mentioned
* Or using the hidden tees in the dunes between 13 tee, 4 green, and 15 tee, which I can't find any scenario that makes any holes play any longer.

This is what I came up with.

1)  Use the alternate high tee for #10 as a back tee for 6.  It would add some major yardage but would likely be a long, blind shot to 6 fairway...it would really make this hole a brute.
2)  Use the back of the 9th tee for a back tee to #7.  This hole is already long anyways, so this would just be making it that much tougher.
3)  Possibly use the back tee for Bandon Dunes #8 as the tee for PD #8, but I think this would be a blind shot as well.

Other than that, I couldn't see how much if any distance could be added to lengthen the rest of the holes.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 09:21:25 PM »
Richard:

There is no way the course could be stretched to over 7000 yards without doing some major earthworks that would be ugly.  It would also encourage too many people to play the course too far back, so I resisted building too many big long tees.

A couple of the tees we built in 2000 are under gorse now.  The only ones which really stretch the course are the tee up behind the 18th green for #1 [blocked by gorse now, but impossible for 99.5% of people anyway]; the tee by the halfway house for #4 [50 yards longer but a worse angle to the fairway]; the back tee for Bandon Dunes #8 on #8 [we did plan on that one Kalen]; and the back tee on #18, which is 661 yards.

It doesn't need to be longer if you just go play in the afternoon, when the wind is blowing.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 09:38:13 PM »
Tom,

How feasible would it be to use the alt high tee on 10 as the tee for 6?  Its been a couple of years since I've been there and couldn't remeber how doable that would be.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 06:52:46 AM »
Kalen:

Never thought about that, and I never would.  Six is a great hole as it is precisely because it's short and you can reach the trouble off the tee.  It wouldn't be nearly as good a hole if it was 50-100 yards longer.  That's why this whole discussion about adding length [for length's sake because long hitters think every hole should be long] makes no sense.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back