News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ally Mcintosh

Holes that can be played from tees on other holes
« on: June 24, 2009, 08:38:09 AM »
Please excuse the slightly clumsy title but the following quote by Kalen on the Pacific Dunes thread made me immediately think of playing the 6th at Woking from the 11th tee...

Tom,

How feasible would it be to use the alt high tee on 10 as the tee for 6?  Its been a couple of years since I've been there and couldn't remeber how doable that would be.

Any examples that you can think of where interesting holes would be created?

Cristian

Re: Holes that can be played from tees on other holes
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 08:56:29 AM »
At Kennemer during the dutch open two or three years ago, Tee C8 was used as the Tee for C9 (the 18th of the composite course) to add yardage. Last time around though, when Darren Clarke won, it whas played as the Tee for the 17th and the 18th (C9) was played from its own tee's.

A look at 17th green from the Tee, with fairway 18 in the background as in the Course review on this site.

I think that using this method to add length is silly as the angles and distances to hazards change also, thus taking away strategy. However it can be fun to play different holes on a home course, I have heard of clubs doing once yearly "cross country routings" contests, which I guess can be fun (if you bring a bag of your old lake balls).

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 08:59:34 AM »
Cristian,

When I was at Kennemer in April, I commented that 18 (C9) looked like a cracking finishing hole from C8 tees... I can see what you mean by the angles and hazards on that hole but it set up well to the eye... C8 is a lovely par-3 but it felt a little crammed in once you had to walk back to the final tee...

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 09:02:38 AM »
Mid Ocean's 18th can be played from its 2nd tee to create a dramatic par-5 with a tee shot over cliffs/ocean.
H.P.S.

Cristian

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 09:19:21 AM »
Cristian,

When I was at Kennemer in April, I commented that 18 (C9) looked like a cracking finishing hole from C8 tees... I can see what you mean by the angles and hazards on that hole but it set up well to the eye... C8 is a lovely par-3 but it felt a little crammed in once you had to walk back to the final tee...

I think the hole would be lengthened by roughly 40 yards with the bunkers then being some 260-270 and 290-300 yards out from the new tee respectively. Perhaps actually better distances for pro's although the hole is uphillish and against the prevailing wind. However the line from the new tee takes the ball further away from the hazards. The overview also shows interesting other options to play holes from different tee's though, I have never looked at it in this way....

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 09:59:11 AM »
The 3rd and 6th holes at Wintonbury Hills can be played from each other's tees.  They could theoretically stretch #3 from 165 to about 190 and take #6 from 430 to 450.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Scott Warren

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 10:34:35 AM »
When I was a kid and in my early 20s, I was blessed to play on courses that were not very busy a lot of the time. My mates and I would play skins, with the winner of each hole choosing where to play to from the next tee.

We discovered some great holes in the process, some 60m long, others 700m, but most were in the normal distance band for a golf hole.

I've spotted a few good'uns at Deal, but haven't been there on a quiet enough day yet to test them out

18 tee > 3 green = 170-odd metres
16 tee > 6 green = 180-odd metres
14 tee > 8 green = 200-odd metres
15 tee > 14 green = 95-odd metres to a green tilted away from you
1 tee > 2 green = 210-odd metres
12 tee to 10 green > 415-odd metres with fairway trap on 11 in play for the drive, then 170m left with the steep left bank of the green facing you and the sea wall right behind.

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 11:01:52 AM »
I will say it once again, out of all the courses I have played Stone Eagle is the ULTIMATE cross country golf course, it has an endless amount of different golf holes to be played.  Some of the real good ones that can be played from another tee are

#18 back tee to #2 green  (About 290 driveable par 4)
#8 red tee to #4 green  (Makes a brute of a downhill par 4 playing over 540 yards)
#8 red tee to #6 green (Makes this hole about 30 yards longer, leaving a much more difficult approach to the small green)
#8 red tee to #9 green (Makes a fantastic sweeping par 5 that has an amazing second shot with tons of options)
#11 back tee to #2 green (Another great downhill dogleg left par 4)
#12 up back tee to #15 green (About a 220 yard par 3 over a real long and deep ravine)
#12 red tee to #13 green (It plays about the same distance as hole 13 just gives yourself a different angle)
#16 back tee to #18 green (This makes it still a hard par 4, but gives you a better angle into the green)
#18 back tee to #16 green (About a 450 yard par 4 with your second shot hitting over that mammoth bunker on the left side of 16 green)

And those are just a couple of the good ones, I could go on forever with this list.  About four of those I mentioned could be played during the course of your round too.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 01:13:09 PM »
I used to play annually in a Safari club competition at Conwy. You might think you know your home course intimately until you play one of these. For some reason it disappeared from the calendar.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back