News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chuck Brown

Ponkapoag, in The Boston Globe
« on: June 23, 2009, 04:04:43 PM »
http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2009/06/19/in_the_rough_canton_gem_missed_big_shot/?s_campaign=8315

(sorry - earlier incorrect link now corrected)

I know that Ponky has been discussed before, but not quite in the depth of this story.  We've all known of some architectural jewels here and there, that have suffered from poor maintenance.  But entire holes closed because they are permanently(?) unplayable?  Is the property suspect, from a drainage standpiont?  Why was it chosen, then, for Ross' attention when he was a highly established architect?  Or has it been that badly treated?  
Anyway, this was linked on Geoff Shackelford's blog.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 05:55:07 PM by Chuck Brown »

PCCraig

Re: Ponkapoag, in The Boston Globe
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 04:41:58 PM »
I saw this too Chuck. I actually played there once a few years ago in School. I think the golf course itself has literally erroded away. They would have to just build a new golf course.

I wonder why the USGA hasn't looked at George Wright? Much of the same applies while still not too far gone for a somewhat cheap renovation, tons of surrounding land, etc...

There was a note in last week's GW about TCC getting the 2013 US Am and its potential return to the Open "rota."
H.P.S.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 04:57:54 PM »

I wonder why the USGA hasn't looked at George Wright? Much of the same applies while still not too far gone for a somewhat cheap renovation, tons of surrounding land, etc...

http://www.boston.com/sports/golf/articles/2009/06/11/george_wright_gc_has_been_righted/

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 05:04:16 PM »

http://www.boston.com/sports/golf/articles/2009/06/11/george_wright_gc_has_been_righted/

Mike-

I've read that as well. I understand its made quite the 180* the past few years.

I'm just curious as to why the USGA didn't visit that as it's Bethpage part duex.
H.P.S.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 05:33:24 PM »

I'm just curious as to why the USGA didn't visit that as it's Bethpage part duex.

Part II has been done at Torrey Pines.

Never played George Wright or Ponky when I was in Boston, only Newton Commonwealth.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 06:17:38 PM »
Played the main course in the early '70s and thought it was more suitable for duck habitat.  Not much of a course left even then.

PCCraig

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 06:25:41 PM »

Part II has been done at Torrey Pines.

Never played George Wright or Ponky when I was in Boston, only Newton Commonwealth.

Ahhh Newton Commonwealth.  :)

Hands down the worst Donald Ross course I have ever seen.... just kidding. Newton actually has some fun greens, but it is too bad that the town/course kept selling off chunks of land for housing which shortened the course a ton.

That course always reminds me of stepping up to the +/- 300 yard 1st hole after not swinging a club for a month, and proceeding to shank a 2-iron up the fairway about 138 yards! But I was sure happy to even be playing at that point.
H.P.S.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 08:56:49 PM »
I grew up in Needham and was always a treat to grab the car and ride over to Ponky ... my first and very sub-concious exposure to GCA.  A real loss ...

Brad Tufts

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 10:31:19 PM »
Good stuff guys, thanks for the links.

My take:

Ponky:  I used to play in the CYO, the jr. tourney for 16-26 year olds.  The course was playable then (99-02), but they let us lift, clean, and place EVERYWHERE on the course (#1).  Even for those events, the third fairway was full of potholes, the 6th was a 420 par 4 shortened to 275, and the 18th was butchered due to the removal of a blind tee shot.  Too bad the USGA didn't bite the bullet, but maybe someday they can resurrect the place to respectability.  There are some good holes out there.

George Wright:  Sounds like I need to get back there.  I've played it about 10-12 times when the conditions were not good, and it can compete with any of the Boston privates under good conditions.  I only live about 15 minutes from there, and its a great take if you can get a time around all of the leagues they have.  It's actually amazing that they took so long turning things around after what the city did at Franklin Park, but now the two of them make a FANTASTIC historical golf pair in Boston.

Newton Commonwealth....still fun and quirky in places, downright dangerous in others.  Amazing the place has made it to 2009 considering its land value.

TCC...playing a practice round on Saturday there for the Mass. Am., should be awesome!
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back