News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pearce

Crail - this Sunday 31 May
« on: May 26, 2009, 05:21:20 PM »
Kyle Henderson, Marty Bonnar and I are playing both Crail courses this Sunday, on the Craighead at the unfeasibly early time of 8am and (after time for a leisurely lunch) the Balcomie Links at 2.40.  If any other Fife based GCAer (or anyone from further afield) is interested in making up a 4, let me know.  First come first served, as they say....

The weather forecast, if it matters, is really rather good, sunshine and enough wind to make the courses play as they should.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 05:23:32 PM by Mark Pearce »
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Melvyn Morrow

Re: Crail - this Sunday 31 May
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 05:58:53 PM »

Mark

Great to see that you and Marty are looking after Kyle, well done and he should certainly have some fun. Love to be there but unable.

Have a great day on a great old course.

Melvyn

Mike Jansen

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 12:59:49 AM »
Great course.... had the pleasure to play Balcomie there last summer.  It was my second round of the day (Old Course was first)... it dumped on us for the entire first hole and then turned out to be a beautiful day.

A good book to read on the flight over there In Search of Burningbush.  A friend of mine wrote it and talks a lot about Crail, as well as other Scotland links. 

Anthony Gray

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 11:22:51 AM »

I saw a golfer on the 18th tee hit the cluhouse with his tee ball. Looks impossible but I saw it with my own eyes. Have a blast gentelmen.

Anthony

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 04:40:07 PM »
Mark
Having got another taste of links golf today I envy your weekend.  Lundin Links on Saturday and 36 at Crail on Sunday.

Enjoy gentlemen.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 05:03:39 PM »

I saw a golfer on the 18th tee hit the cluhouse with his tee ball. Looks impossible but I saw it with my own eyes. Have a blast gentelmen.

Anthony

#18 on the Balcomie?   :o ::)  That would be quite a shot, doesn't the 18th play more or less away from the clubhouse and about 40 feet below?

Rich Goodale

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 06:06:44 PM »
A good friend of mine once went OB left off the 1st tee at Brora.  He lives about 10 miles from Crail, so maybe he is the culprit....

Anthony Gray

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 07:26:10 PM »

Anthony

#18 on the Balcomie?   :o ::)  That would be quite a shot, doesn't the 18th play more or less away from the clubhouse and about 40 feet below?

Bill and Rich,

It was an american cousin of the family I know in St Andrews. The guy never golfs. He was visiting his long lost family in Scotland, It was beyond description. A nice wind in the face and a pop-up slice. Never seen it before or since. When it hit the clubhouse we all bent over in stitches. Sware to God truth. Garland could not reproduce that shot in his dreams Bill.

Anthony

Mike Jansen

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 03:31:05 PM »
Bill is correct about Balcomie.... the clubhouse sits way above the 18th green on the left side.  A popped up slice would end up on the 16th fairway.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 04:00:42 PM »
Bill is correct about Balcomie.... the clubhouse sits way above the 18th green on the left side.  A popped up slice would end up on the 16th fairway.

Photo from the 16th green with clubhouse in background. Mike have you been to Crail?

The 18th tee sits underneath the clubhouse. The 16th hole is a par 3 without a fairway.

??

Anthony

Mark Pearce

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 04:43:12 PM »
The clubhouse is above the 18th on the right hand side.  I'm struggling to imagine a shot off that tee hit the clubhouse, but if it did it would be a slice.  The 16th green is probably 600 yards from the clubhouse.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 05:15:09 PM »
Sweet Momma of the golf gods, Mark!
8AM!!!! On the Sabbath!!?!?!

Sounds great!!! I'll be there, bleary-eyed or not. Looking forward to it.

Just arrived back about a half hour ago from a week in Menorca, so sorry for not replying sooner.

cheers,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 06:04:37 PM »
Sweet Momma of the golf gods, Mark!
8AM!!!! On the Sabbath!!?!?!
A very similar reaction to mine, when told that was the latest time available in the morning!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back