News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

The Addington, Croydon, Surrey - some pics
« on: March 01, 2009, 01:58:21 PM »
If a course was rated only on its best 12 holes, I would suggest - and I might get howled down here - that The Addington would be world top 50 material.

After five holes I was underwhelmed. Only the long par 3 3rd had really done anything for me and I was waiting for "it" to happen. Then 6-17 came and swept me off my feet with some of the most spectacular, terrifying and teasing holes I have ever played.

I'd read that The Addington's set of six par 3s was arguably the best in Britain and the fuss is certainly worthy. It's fair, in my mind, to have three measuring over 195 yards (195, 210, 230) because you also get three under 160 yards (160, 150, 136).

The par fives were also quite short for modern standards, but were far from simple. I really rate that in a hole. The 12th and 16th especially are not much more than driver/3 hybrid for me, but are as far from an easy par as you could get.

It's rated #85 in GB&I, and if not for that pedestrian start, I think it could be rated much, much higher.

I had a wander after my round and found what I think would be a great short par four opening hole running from next to the overflow carpark, up the hill through where that pink A-frame house is to the current green. With the same risk/reward concept that the holes through the middle feature, it could really strengthen the course and add the only thing The Addington appears to miss - a driveable short par four (the shortest is 360 yards).

And now to the photos, each with a few more thoughts. Apologies for the substandard pics, we had a hazy mist hanging around for much of the day that gave a bit of a grainy look.

6th hole from 180m out. If you weren't forewarned you wouldn't even suspect that such a gigantic bunker is waiting short right.

THE bunker. The size was amazing. At least 15ft high from sand to top of lip.

I took a wander down to have a look from inside it and to show in a pic just how deep it is with a 6'1" human as a point of reference.

Par 3 7th from just right of the tee on slightly higher ground. What a great hole. The amphitheatre feel and some great pin positions would make it a really memorable and exciting tournament hole.

Looking back to the 7th tee. I had to imagine what a beautiful sight the sea of purple heather would be - being the first day of spring it hadn't quite got around to blooming!

The tee shot on the 8th - a 420-odd yard par 4 - is probably as daunting a shot as I have faced. Having now played it I'd probably be more relaxed knowing the fairway is wider than it appears (same goes for the 9th), but still a magic shot and a hell of a golf hole.

Approach to the 9th. After carrying a gully of death off the tee, with OOB left and forest right, you have a 120ish yard pitch over another chasm to the green. I haven't played Pine Valley, but from what I have seen of it, it seems to share a general 'vibe' with many holes at The Addington. I'd be interested to hear what some others think of that comparison - though I imagine the group of people on here who've played both might well fit comfortably in a phone booth, but I might be wrong.

The 10th was far from the most dramatic green complex on the course, but there was something I really liked about it. Perhaps that the shaping and bunkering reminded me more than a little of what I have seen on the Melbourne sandbelt (though not first hand) and at a few clubs in Sydney such as Bonnie Doon and Concord.

The 11th - 136 yards to a green ringed by sand, the putting surface about the size of half a tennis court. Just a great short par three, simple as that.

The famous par five 12th lived up to my expectations. What an amazing hole. I benefited from the fact they have just replanted the heather on the first part of the downslope, or I may not have had the perfect lie for my second that you'll see in the next pic down. I thought it was great on the blind tee shots that the suggested line was mowed through the heather, so you weren't totally blind, and it removed the need for an ugly indicator pole.

I was blessed to find the middle shelf. Such a great risk reward position. I've seen some old photos showing the left side of the green in the 1920s, when it was clear and allowed a running shot to be played, and with the tees devoid of leaves the sight was there, so I could picture how it might look if it was cleared. For the modern game I think I'm in favour of the left side being closed out. It makes the shot required to hit the green much more exact, which gives you a much bigger decision on the tee, once you know the hole.

The 230 yard 13th. Nowhere to miss, and when you bring the false front into the equation it just gets harder. What struck me was just how natural that green complex looks, even though it must have required a fair movement of dirt to build up the left side of the green. I had to flush a 16* hybrid to reach the front edge.

13th green complex from the right.

The approach to the 16th green. From 200 yards out that severe drop-off is not nearly so evident, which helps to lure the golfer who has flushed their drive into going for it in two, with a bank of heather to the left. It's such great design that brings both birdie and bogey very much into play without the use of sand. I had a dash, ended up down that hill to the right and didn't take another breath until I had managed to scramble a par... at least it felt that way.

I loved the 17th. That cavernous front trap, the bank of heather, the large green full of subtle breaks (a contrast to the more drmatic greens that proceed it). Not real fussed on the gravel cart path though.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 02:03:56 PM by Scott Warren »

Mark Chaplin

Re: The Addington, Croydon, Surrey - some pics
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 05:14:58 PM »
Nice pictures Scott, The Addington was always a sleeping giant and now it's getting the care and attention the course deserves it's coming along in leaps and bounds. #1 is possibly the most disappointing start on any decent golf course.
Cave Nil Vino

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 11:51:11 PM »
#1 is possibly the most disappointing start on any decent golf course.

I agree Mark, although I have heard any idiot can hit hit a 6 iron to a few feet for an easy birdie.

Nice pics, Scott. I'm glad you enjoyed the course.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 12:17:42 AM »
Could they change the 1st six holes, to bring them closer to the level of the rest of the course?

Sean_A

Re: The Addington, Croydon, Surrey - some pics New
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 01:57:28 AM »
Could they change the 1st six holes, to bring them closer to the level of the rest of the course?

Jim

To be honest, I think Scott is being a bit hard on the opening five holes.  The 2nd is a good par 5 with a great green.  The 3rd is a very good par 3 - though similar to the 1st.  We have to remember that the 1st was a late edition to the course when for whatever reason it was decided that the clubhouse couldn't go near where the 1st green is making what is essentially the 5th the opening hole.  The 4th is a very strong par 4.  And, there is nothing wrong with the 5th.  I also think 18 is a good hole.  Holes like #s 4 & 18 help give Addington its backbone as a stiff test of golf despite being about 6300 yards long. 

Scott - thanks for the pix. 

Ciao

« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 04:48:53 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Scott Warren

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 03:05:09 AM »
Sean,

You're probably right, and for the record I loved 18 and did say the 3rd was a really good hole. Those first few holes weren't bad holes, certainly not, but I don't think they present the same challenge and excitement as 6-18.

Sean: And, there is nothing wrong with the 5th

I think that's true, and I'd say the same of the other starting holes (save for 3 which is great), but that's much fainter praise than you would heap on most of the holes from 6 onwards, IMO.

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 03:23:09 AM »
Addington is a bit of an odd course because of the four really stand out holes on the course one is truly a great, great hole and one of the very best par 5s I have ever played - the 16th.  One, the 8th, is most certainly THE controversial hole of the course imo.  I don't think the fairway is anywhere where near wide enough to accommodate the nasty drop off either side of the humpback fairway after a blind and sharply turning drive.  The 12th can be seen as controversial if we want to argue over the par designation.  What I think is the great shame of this hole is that because of the difficulty of trying to get home in two the best feature of the hole, the green, is overlooked.  In keeping with the sprinkled brutality of most of the best holes on the course, the 13th is just an all-world difficult one shotter.  These sorts of characteristics don't generally make me fond of course, but Addington pulls it off and I think it is really down to the honesty of the supporting cast of holes, the superb variety of its par 3s and of course the wonderful 16th.     

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Scott Warren

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 03:44:36 AM »
I agree with that last sentiment, Sean. In my mind what saved the course from becoming silly in it's brutality was that it paced the breather holes well.

8 and 9 are followed by a relatively sedate 10th and 11th, then 12 and 13 blow your head off, before some respite in the 14th.

And you're right, I think the extreme difficulty of 3, 13 and 17 is fair because it's offset by the opening hole, 7 and 11.

I agree about the 12th green. The false front was a great feature and the slopes were brilliant, and it's a clever little mound short that looks from the layup area 80m short that it forms the front of the green, when in actual fact it's about 5m short of the false front.

I took some pics of the green, but as with most images the slopes didn't come through. I might put them up here tonight anyway.

Jamie Barber

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 12:07:30 PM »
Good review - I must ask the chaps from MSG for an invite :)

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 06:51:16 PM »
Scott where did you see the old pics with the LHS of the 12 open?  there was a thread on here last sumer with an old photo posted by Paul Turner9?) that appeared to show a green in those trees on the left. Is that what you're thiking of? If notit would make a lot of sense if that side had been open.

Thanks for a nice report of a fabulous course.  I think from 2 onwards you are on a course that just buildds in waves of greatness, with some odd golf thrown in.   For those attending BUDA this is one of the courses we can get on at the weekend and is worthy of anyone's atention.   if you  dont go to Rye on the Sunday prior then this should be the place to go.  About 1hr 20 from Deal.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Scott Warren

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 03:00:32 AM »
I think it was on here somewhere Tony. I'll have a look and see if I can find it.

Scott Warren

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 02:48:15 PM »
Found it: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/addington000264.html

scroll about half-way down.

EDIT - link fixed. I tried to make it an embedded pic. D'oh!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 10:14:25 AM by Scott Warren »

Scott Warren

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 10:13:41 AM »
Wierd broken link above. Have a look in the course review on this site. On the second page.

Though I did just find this while searching for info on Royal Zoute

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,36273.0.html

which I imagine is what you meant.

Scott Warren

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 03:13:53 PM »
I jagged a second round at The Addington today, and I have to concede I was far too hard on the opening stretch.

Maybe I was a bit blind the first time around, but I have to say now that 2, 4 and 5 are extremely good holes. Particularly 2. I was wrong.

Noticing even more as I made my way around, I just flat-out think it's a great test, not a boring hole and it definitely doesn't feel like a sub-par 70.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back