News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lyne Morrison

Re: THE LIFE LIST
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2009, 07:13:52 PM »

Yes – a very good post Tom.

I accept that I have lost my son to IT but am hoping that my daughter will commit fully to golf – at 10 she enjoys the game but recently asked that I not mention ‘golf’ around her friends - because it just ‘isn’t cool’. Is this a problem for development of the game or just a temporary attitude? - I’m not sure.

Like Scott I learnt the game as a junior and have gained a great deal from the experience. One of the problems I see today though is that young kids have many commitments and golf can be very time consuming. On top of this, juniors are unable to join our club until they are 12 which I feel is not ideal - at this point many have already moved to other sports after giving golf a go. Perhaps if we saw more par 3 courses similar to Neil Crafter’s Barwon Heads we would have a more manageable platform to draw the young ones into the game.

In any case I am hoping that my Mackenzie catches the bug before those early teen years take hold and move her in a different direction - and that we can then work through points 1 – 3.

Oh yes – I would like to walk TOC with Melvyn and I’m not hung up about rules in casual games – I figure juniors need to learn but why not give seniors a break.

Cheers -- Lyne

Anthony Gray

« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2009, 07:46:41 AM »
Some other ideas:

3. Walk a great course without playing

I do this all the time. The most peaceful place in the world. On my first trip to Scotland I walked TOC on a sunday evening. Just me and a rainbow. Pac Dunes is great at sunrise. Many deer. PB hole 7 tee box is awesome at night .............. until the sprinklers come on. Great suggestion Ian. Bandon Dunes sunset ......... Priceless

Anthony

Rob Rigg

« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2009, 04:08:54 PM »
- Have your son or daughter ask you to take them to the driving range in the winter because they are so stoked for golf season to get here.

- Play a great course with your son, your father and your grandfather - Dream foursome!

- Be the first to tee of at Ballybunion (or another great ocean side course) in the morning and be the last to get out in the evening - ie) have a day when you experience sunrise and sunset on the same beautiful ground

Mike Hendren

« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2009, 03:34:07 PM »
An anonymous correspondent offers:

Write an article for a defunct golf publication.

Bogey

Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back