News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

VFW Courses
« on: February 10, 2009, 10:29:10 PM »
I don't know if it is a Pennsylvania phenomenon, but there seems to be more than a handful of VFW courses in the Keystone State/Commonwealth.  The one in Indiana, PA is the only one I've played and it surprised the heck out of me.  I determined that a true "player" could be bred on that course, as it demanded all the shots.  Any thoughts on this interesting statistic?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

RJ_Daley

Re: VFW Courses
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 10:55:29 PM »
I think we have 3 VFW courses here in Wisconsin.   The one near me is a 9 holer right across from Lake Michigan, in the City of Manitowoc. 

I think our GCA.comer, Jim Thompson was managing one for a while in Grand Rapids MI. 

We had some posts in the past about this VFW phenomenon.  As I remember it, a few are Donald Ross designs.

Also interesting phenom is the Elks club, including what must be the very best one, Southern Pines GC that we have many posts on and our ring leader plays as a home course.

I can vouch for the totally fun loving attitude I encountered at Souther Pines in their
Elks club downstairs lounge.   ;) ;D

« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 10:59:52 PM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 08:39:05 AM »
RJ,

Jim was at an Elks Lodge course.

I don't know of any VFW courses here right off hand, but there might be one in a little town called Sparta, just up the road from me. Obviously, it's little known. I'll check into it.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Mark Woodger

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 08:41:51 AM »
forgive my ignorance but what are vfw courses?

thanks

Joe Hancock

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 08:49:00 AM »
Mark,

VFW is an acronym for "Veterans of Foreign Wars".

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 09:31:38 AM »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Mark Woodger

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 11:59:24 AM »
Thanks Joe

Paul Carey

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 08:55:01 PM »
VFW of Frederick Md.

A fun little 9 hole course with a number of good holes especially the par threes.  They have always had a number of good players from the club including Donnie Hammond who won twice on tour. 

One other attribute:  A great bar for after the round.  I don't say the 19th hole because it is the bar for the VFW so a lot of the old boys are quenching their thirst as well.  I would bet that this is typical of VFW courses.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 11:36:19 PM »
Yup Dave, I have my Elks and VFWs mixed up.   ::)

So you went to Holy Innocents?  They used to have the best Christmas Eve Mass prograam I've been to anywhere.  We hired the tenor from that traditional yearly service who always peaked on his "O Holy Night", for our wedding mass singer.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back