News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil_the_Author

How many architects?
« on: February 07, 2009, 10:06:42 AM »
Any ballpark guesses on the number of golf course architects currently active in the U.S.? This would be the number of individuals and includes associates...

The question came up in a conversation and I really couldn't give even a good estimation.

Jeff_Brauer

Re: How many architects?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 10:13:53 AM »
Phillip,

A few years ago, Toro told me they mailed out just over 400 of their product brochures to different architects.  They mail to associates they know, or who are in ASGCA.  The number of firms back then might have hit 300 at the peak, but probably just under.  If you were talking about individuals at all levels in all firms, there might have been 500 people actively involved in gca.

Everyone is cutting back.  The number of associates is way down.  How far down?  Well, we have shipped so many drafting jobs to India that they now want a sub chapter of ASGCA!

Even the big boys have laid off several or are contemplating it if "industry sources" are correct.  My firm is now either three (me, myself and I) or 4 if you count my CAD software. ;D  I am having the time of my life learning to draw a new way.

Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 11:48:50 AM »
Phil:

The number depends on who you count, doesn't it?

My firm could be one architect or up to seven, depending on how you look at it.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 02:39:23 PM »
Phil,

Strictly for perspective: I did this for someone a few years back in Canada.

I listed all the principals of the large companies.
I then listed the employees of the firm that had projects they were in charge of.
I did not include the staff at an office.

I also included the single guys who had inconsistent work.
I even included "the architect" at a construction company where they did both design/build and straight contracting (Western Canadian thing).

The total was 48 guys who were active in golf design at that time - 12 around Toronto. It was a lot more than people had guessed.

I can say this - if the rumors are true - the number is 10-15% down in the last month.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back