News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Bourgeois

Re: Best flat courses outside USA
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2009, 12:29:01 PM »
An interesting turn. Mark, whoops no I didn't mean the straightaway.  When I went past the place a year or two ago, it appeared as though there was some sort of countryside / steeplechase course belonging to the complex.

Now, combing through the websites I see two golf courses are adjacent, RAC and Epsom.  Which means that if we do agree Epsom Downs is flat, then perhaps we've managed to find two new flat courses!

Here's a pic of Epsom from the club's website:

Ah, the 5th playing towards the Queen's Stand (or whatever it's called) on Epsom -- uh, doesn't look too flat:

Mark

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2009, 12:48:49 PM »
Mark - I didn't for a moment mean that the ground is flat. I was referring to jumps for the horses. Sorry for the confusion. Mark.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2009, 01:29:39 PM »
So what exactly is a "downs," anyway? Is it anything more than rolling parkland and how did it come by this name? Is Crystal Downs really on a "downs," or did Mackenzie mean "like a downs"?

Down but not out,

Doug Wright

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2009, 01:33:10 PM »
      I don't remember Portmarnock having much elevation change.

Agree with this Gene. Some dune-like areas but the playing areas are fairly flat.

Re Royal Dublin mentioned above--it's flat but not on my list of "best."
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Anthony Gray

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2009, 01:46:57 PM »
Going on my limited overseas experience, I'll throw Carnoustie into the discussion.  Not sure where it'd fall on a "greatest courses" list but I would like to play it again if given the chance.

I would agree. This is the highest ranked mentioned so far.

Why no mention of TOC?

Anthony

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2009, 01:56:32 PM »
Fellas, note Mark R's instructions:

Mr Choi's interesting subject set me thinking about flat courses on this side of the pond. Excluding links courses (although very few really qualify as flat - Conwy is one), the prime example must be Royal Antwerp which is utterly flat apart from a few mounds and a few slightly elevated greens. I doubt if there is more than 6 foot  between the highest and lowest points, trees excluded! My memory of New Zealand is that it, too, is similarly flat, but my memory may well be false.

Steroidal emphasis added.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2009, 01:57:20 PM »
Anthony (and CJ, and Sean, and ....)

If you read the first post carefully, links courses are excluded from Mark's question.

Rich

Anthony Gray

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2009, 01:59:29 PM »
Fellas, note Mark R's instructions:

Mr Choi's interesting subject set me thinking about flat courses on this side of the pond. Excluding links courses (although very few really qualify as flat - Conwy is one), the prime example must be Royal Antwerp which is utterly flat apart from a few mounds and a few slightly elevated greens. I doubt if there is more than 6 foot  between the highest and lowest points, trees excluded! My memory of New Zealand is that it, too, is similarly flat, but my memory may well be false.

Steroidal emphasis added.

Mark,

I read worse than I spell. Lo Ciento.

Anthony

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2009, 02:00:01 PM »
downs - also called downland - rolling upland, especially in the chalk areas of S Britain, characterised by lack of trees and used mainly as pasture.

Downs (the): Any of various ranges of low chalk hills in S England, esp the S Downs of Sussex.

john_stiles

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2009, 02:05:20 PM »

Royal Lytham & St Annes is very flat, save the par 4 8th and par 3 9th.
There is a short rumple at that corner of the course with a drive from the 8th into a lower area, and then an uphill approach to the green.  Afterwards there is a slight downhill shot to the par 3 9th.  Otherwise, Lytham is very flat.

The nearby St Annes course is also flat except for one small rumple at the 18th.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2009, 02:15:17 PM »
Anthony, say buenis diaz to john_s for us.

Mark R that's very interesting.  I think the equivalent in the U.S. would be the Austin Chalk Formation -- are the Downs of England karst like Austin? (Think Swiss cheese: caves, sinkholes, etc.)  Not sure about the geology of Michigan; anyone know if Crystal Downs is built on chalk?

Mark

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2009, 02:50:15 PM »
Mark,

I'm no geologist. You'll find various links at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downs

Lavinia has finished teaching, so I'm going to fix a strong G&T and get those duck breasts on the heat.

Mark.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2009, 02:53:07 PM »
Good lord, Mark, amend that post before children see it!

Cristian

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2009, 04:48:54 PM »
Eindhoven and Hilversum in the Netherlands do not have much more elevation than a duck's breast...

Kalen Braley

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2009, 05:10:19 PM »
While there is a bit of elevation on the front 9 on two holes only, the rest of Old Del Monte is pretty much flat.

For my vote, I'm going to say ODM does the best job in being an interesting layout on mostly flat land primarily thru the use of doglegs, well placed bunkers, hazards, and varying hole lengths.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2009, 05:23:55 PM »
Well, Kalen, for my vote you get full marks on not proposing a links; however, if not mistaken California has not yet seceded from the Union and therefore with sadness we must reject your vote and remand you to the nearest elementary school where you shall repeat 3rd grade geography!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2009, 05:56:19 PM »
Well, Kalen, for my vote you get full marks on not proposing a links; however, if not mistaken California has not yet seceded from the Union and therefore with sadness we must reject your vote and remand you to the nearest elementary school where you shall repeat 3rd grade geography!

Ooops sorry Mark, I posted this in the wrong thread....thought I was posting in the original one that actually matters.   ;D

Back to school I go...   :-[  :-[

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back