News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Benham

Your own Par ...
« on: January 12, 2009, 12:55:02 PM »
(Along the lines of "Due High Handicappers have more Fun?")

Golf is a game where the golfer rarely achieves perfection.  It is a humbling game. 

Sure, we have moments where we hit the shot we intend, a perfect individual shot, whether it is a drive, an approach or a pitch that takes the bumps and rolls of a contoured green.

Par on the scorecard, for many, is meaningless as the distance of the hole and the ability of the golfer, make the intent impossible to achieve for an entire round of golf.

However, golfers, by the fate of the game, set a goal each time they play, it may be the par on the scorecard or it may something of their own calculation, such as shooting their age.

So when a golfer achieves their own par, then they should be able to smile knowing they have achieved the perfection that so many of us fail to reach.

For those of you that have achieved this perfection, I doff my hat in your honor.

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Craig Van Egmond

Re: Your own Par ...
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 01:05:11 PM »

"Par is whatever I say it is. I've got one hole that's a par 23 and yesterday I damn near birdied the sucker."

Willie Nelson

Kalen Braley

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 01:06:04 PM »
Mike,

The intent of this thread is an excellent one, and I believe if one plays for and acheives thier own "par" they will likely have a lower gross score in the end.

For instance when I see a 450 yard par 4, unless its downhill, downwind, i treat it as a short 5.  If I make 4, awesome and if I make 5 thats still good.

At the end of the round while you or Huck would be anywhere from bummed to horrified with an 85, I'd be feeling pretty good and think that was a damn swell game of golf.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 01:07:39 PM by Kalen Braley »

John Moore II

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 01:49:08 PM »
Mike,

The intent of this thread is an excellent one, and I believe if one plays for and acheives thier own "par" they will likely have a lower gross score in the end.

For instance when I see a 450 yard par 4, unless its downhill, downwind, i treat it as a short 5.  If I make 4, awesome and if I make 5 thats still good.

At the end of the round while you or Huck would be anywhere from bummed to horrified with an 85, I'd be feeling pretty good and think that was a damn swell game of golf.

Yes, Yes, laddie, I treat the 375 yard downhill holes in the state of Utah as just long par 3's.  ;D ;D

But really, I think we all do this 'personal par' thing. A hole at one of my old courses was about 410, but the tee shot (for me) required a 3 wood, but for just about anyone else who would hit the driver, it had to be played far right away from a pond left. So the approach into the green was in the range of 180-220 yards, sharply uphill. It was really a half-par hole for anyone. But the more you played it as a 'par 5' the better you felt about the rest of the round.

I've also played a course where the card par was 71, but I played it to a personal par of 66. I never made it to that personal par, but I came fairly close several times. Golf is all relative.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 02:12:40 PM »
Kalen - I am not that good - there are times that 85 is a great score for me.

But I get your point - it is indeed relative.

But Mike makes a great point - shooting one's age has to be cap-doff-worthy without a doubt.  That is one hell of an achievement and a worthy life goal for any golfer.

TH
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 02:29:45 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 02:15:20 PM »
When my dad and I get done a game, and we're on the patio enjoying a cold beer (or Effen Vodka), he always answers those who inquire about "what he shot" with something like "two under or 1 over".  Little do they know that his par at Aronimink is now 92.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 02:19:42 PM »

Mike,

Outstanding points. I think we all have that number in our heads before we play. Personaly I want to get 20 points in the weekend low-ball. Equates to 16 bogeys and 2 pars. If I get 20 I've done my job for the team.

Anthony

C. Squier

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 02:38:31 PM »
Each hole for me is the posted par.....although groups of holes is a different story.  I'll be happy with +1 after the first 3 holes on any course, which makes it my "own" par. 

John Moore II

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 03:46:04 PM »
Each hole for me is the posted par.....although groups of holes is a different story.  I'll be happy with +1 after the first 3 holes on any course, which makes it my "own" par. 

Indeed. I figure that I can make par or better on any hole in the world at least 70% of the time. Its just that sometimes the 30% minority comes out 10-12 times a round. And its somewhat rare that the majority wins out on more than 14-15 holes. I should say that my personal par (while I strive to shoot 'real' par everytime) is around 3-4-5 over par on all courses. If I can shoot a score 3 or 4 over, baring a situation like 40 putts or hitting 17 or 18 greens, I am satisfied.

Steve Lang

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 08:17:48 PM »
 8) I use the "W" System of par.. par currently is 4 W's

As a once past 5, now posing as a 10-15 depending on getting old aches..

A "W" is a wasted opportunity..

- like one bad approach shot after the best drive of the day

- like that 5 footer that rims out because of poor speed on correct line or vice versa

- like a par on a second ball

- like the loss of focus fat or thin wedge from the rough

- like not suppressing that " I never met a sucker pin I didn't like" attitude

If the W's are kept to a minimum, life is good, a glimmer of hope shines on ..
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Mark Woodger

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 10:18:19 PM »
Steve,

What a brilliant way to view the game of golf. I often have a few W's in the round but have never thought to view them that way. thank you for opening my eyes to this way of thinking.

Mark

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 10:22:39 PM »
8) I use the "W" System of par.. par currently is 4 W's

As a once past 5, now posing as a 10-15 depending on getting old aches..

A "W" is a wasted opportunity..

- like one bad approach shot after the best drive of the day

- like that 5 footer that rims out because of poor speed on correct line or vice versa

- like a par on a second ball

- like the loss of focus fat or thin wedge from the rough

- like not suppressing that " I never met a sucker pin I didn't like" attitude

If the W's are kept to a minimum, life is good, a glimmer of hope shines on ..

I don't think I'd have enough fingers to count my W's on.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 10:31:50 PM »
When I was growing up in the game and my play was getting better, I used level 5s as my benchmark.  As I got a bit better, it was very encouraging to finish a 9 "4 or 5 under".  If i didn't play great and shot a 44 or 43 for 9, I was at least still 1 or 2 under level 5s...

It doesn't exactly play into my game now, but that is how I still add up scores.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Sean_A

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 03:03:47 AM »
For many years I used 80 as my par, but I never individually "changed" the par of holes to my liking (does anybody do this?).  Perhaps this is why I believe teh concept of par is a scam.  Anyway, I think it is time to shift my expectations more toward 85. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend & Alnmouth

John Burzynski

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 08:21:01 AM »
Par for me is generally 90 on most courses, I too aim for level 5's.  it is a sufficiently difficult but attainable goal for my game. 

Anthony Gray

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 03:56:03 PM »
(Along the lines of "Due High Handicappers have more Fun?") 

Mike,

Please give credict to the auther, expecially if poor spellig is envolved.

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back