News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Which hole is this? 8
« on: January 13, 2009, 11:21:24 AM »
That white line in front of the tee may be a clue. It's in the British Isles.

James Boon

Re: Which hole is this? 8
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 12:26:07 PM »
Its the 4th hole at a course that a past Ryder Cup captain learned to play.
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 12:33:21 PM »
With that tree in the middle of the fairway, one drools at the prospect of hitting a hard hook just left of the tree!  The elevated green looks interesting as well.  How long does that hole play?

Great selection of holes, Mark.  Thanks for all the fun aerials!

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 12:47:07 PM »
Bill, The tree is really only in play for hackers, because the fairway slopes down away from the tee and any competent golfer knocks the ball out over the trees on the left (and they're scrubby little trees - hawthorns, that sort of thing) and the bigger problem is running out of fairway by driving too far. I imagine that in his prime the Ryder Cup Captain to whom James refers would have tried to drive the green.  It's only 357 yards from tee to green, but metaphorically MUCH longer.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 12:49:31 PM »
Is the white line a national boundary?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 02:02:39 PM »
Yes, Mark. You tee off in Wales and putt out in England. Does anyone know of another course in which you play across a national boundary? You recross this particular boundary on the walk from the 6th green to the 7th tee.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 02:11:46 PM »
Ok, I had to look it up, but since my performance since Royal Burgess has been pitiful I thought I deserved a mulligan....

It's Llanymynech GC and its most famous son is that Huckaby look-alike, Ian Woosnam.

Bonus points to anybody who can pronounce the name of the club.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 02:27:13 PM »
Rather than bonus points how bout a dram of Bruichladdich on your account?

What's the Adios hole on the Texas course, the one where the tee is in the USA and the green in Mexico?  I think if you try to cross the river after holing out the Federales will shoot you. Or has The Wall trampled the tee?

Mark

Rich Goodale

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 02:33:26 PM »
Mark B

I can do a damn good Bruichladdich, but anything Welsh , particularly those staring with "Ll" are beyond my skill or even interest to try.  I do know that "Ll" is pronounced like "cl."  But beyond that I'm llueless.......
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 02:36:36 PM by Rich Goodale »

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 02:36:01 PM »
Try having a Welsh dog breed and a wife who wants to give them Welsh names.  The choices boil down to 1 or 2 by sex.  And much hilarity ensues...

Rich Goodale

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 02:38:14 PM »
So you ARE married to the Queen!  I wondered how you got all that round-the-world travel and that royal wave which masquerades as a golf swing.  Does Phillip know?

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 02:51:34 PM »
It's the dorgis for him. And a fiver says he's never driven the mighty 16th at Lundie!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back