News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

paul cowley

Alert.......
« on: December 30, 2008, 12:28:47 AM »
I feel a serious post coming on.......something about charting the Apparent Strategic Path, or Paths, when designing a hole......a curvilinear centerline as opposed to fixed point references [doglegs].

It meshes well with my 'Curves of Charm' theories.

But its getting late.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 12:33:36 AM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Mike_Cirba

Re: Alert.......
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 12:32:48 AM »
Oh F*ck Paul...

I'd say...Go for it.

;)

paul cowley

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 12:38:20 AM »
Sorry Mike....right now I'm better suited to drink and think than think and write.

:)
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Lester George

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 09:23:37 AM »
Paul,

Does your curvilinear line have an arc?  Can it be three dimensional?  I have had similar thoughts when drinking as well.

Lester

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 10:30:07 AM »
Paul,

Does your curvilinear line have an arc?

That's what she said . . .

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 11:25:29 AM »
"......a curvilinear centerline as opposed to fixed point references [doglegs]."

Paul:

My suggestion to you is for you to borrow shamelessly from one Lancelot "Capability" Brown (ultra famous 18th century Classic English landscapist) and call it "Serpentine", not curvilinear! That way you can talk about "Serpents of Charm" and not "Curves of Charm." If designing with "Serpents of Charm" serves the purpose of scaring the pee outta little children and women and even a moderate quota of sissy-ass men golfers I think the design concept should be a raging success, don't you?

Adam Clayman

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 11:43:06 AM »
Think of all the Medusa references and subsequent inspired curls. Or, even more timely, Dr. King's arc reference recently resurrected.

That Flask shit works!

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 01:23:15 PM »
Adam - Yes, especially when what's in that flask is absinthe...

Paul - very interesting. I'd imagine that when you're out walking a site what you're seeing is curvilinear centerlines and not  fixed-point references, and what you're sensing is potential strategic path(s) and not direct line(s) of charm.  But then at some point in the process, those various curving centrelines and strategic paths need to be actualized into specific choices/places and formed into traditional "golfy" shapes.

How you architect-types keep all the possibilities/options in your head at the same time is beyond me.

Peter
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 01:39:27 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 02:02:17 PM »
PC,

Would it be terribly difficult to title your garbage threads with something that would keep us from clicking on them instead of enticing us to click on them?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back